HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Those who got the speaker upgrade, do you like da system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 03:41 PM

Add one for the " I like the upgraded Pioneer system " I bought with the mindset of must haves. Leather, Chrome pkg, high polished 17's. I am a musician and have a killer system in the house. Out of respect to the robots or men that welded my HHR together, I didnt want bass that would crack my welds, nor do I want a huge box taking up room in the back. I burn discs at home and tailor the EQ for the car so when I play them they sound awesome. I might consider changing the door speakers out but for the most part, Im stickin with the factory set up. As for XM, Im having a hard time justifying the $159 a year price to have it after the free trial goes away.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by johnbegone
I am an audio engineer with extremely high fidelity studio monitors for reference tracking and mixing, but the point of listening to music in a car, for me, is to listen to my mixes on a "real" system. It is very common for people to take their mixes out to their car because that is where most people listen to music. So I would not want a system that as super high end in my car.
Exactly my situation. It's valuable to listen to your mixes, without listening to your mixes. It's amazing what can pop out of your mixes while you're driving and not paying close attention.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:16 PM

I upgraded the door speakers to Alpines...good investment of $200
If you're into sound, here will be the upgrade you want, Dynamat, deaden those panels and hear how your speakers jump to life.

While your putting in the Dynamat, put in the Alpines!

XM/Sirius I can't live without them. It's great on a long road trip or in the mood music. I go from Top 40, Blues, Country or soft Jazz depending on my mood...or Hip Hop if I have a young hottie in the car
Old 03-02-2008, 04:50 PM

more

In the doors I went with Focal K2P's front and back, with 2 8"JLW7's for subwoofers. They sit on the floor of the back seat on each side. so with the back seat down you cant see them! This SS isnt a people mover! I changed the HU to a Alpine single disc+Ipod. And of course dynamat everywhere! I need that Stage 2 kit soon to move all that weight I added to the SS
Old 03-02-2008, 05:39 PM

just by chance I ran into this article on Jalopnik.com...

What's Killing The Car Stereo Industry?

A recent NPD Group and CEA study showed that car stereo sales and other car audio equipment had a steep decline in the fourth quarter of 2007. Single CD players dropped 4 percent, amplifiers dropped 21 percent, subwoofers dropped 18 percent and speakers dropped 8 percent--all compared to the same quarter in 2006. Kenwood seems to think it was the gas prices and weather, but in all reality I think it is because aftermarket car audio is slowly becoming obsolete... I certainly don't buy aftermarket audio equipment anymore and I'm curious about you.
Poll on the site:
Yes=32.5% (236 votes)
No=67.5% (491 votes)
727 total votes.
results as of 03/02/2008 06:35:52 pm.

Most new cars include enough options for in-car entertainment and information including personal navigation systems and more. Also, the current model of in-car systems don't utilize the previously universal rectangular deck space in favor of other designs that are less convenient to install.

I hate to say it, but as much as I enjoy my regular Crutchfield as bathroom reading material, aftermarket audio may be experiencing its swan song as manufacturers take over and give the consumers everything they could ever want for in-car entertainment.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:42 PM

I love the sub and the tweeters!! Best sound I have ever had in a car. The XM is so great I got a new receiver that is XM ready so I can get in my house also. Worth the extra money and worth more when you sell you car or trade her in.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:11 PM

Shhhhh!

Dont tell my car stereo guy this news, he thinks he is doing great! He is booked for months in advance and only carries high end stuff!!
Old 03-02-2008, 08:21 PM

Ok, now I don't want anyone to think I'm knocking their system...

With that said, the factory Pioneer speakers are crap! They are paper cone, no tweeters. Yes, they are a few steps above the factory but so far behind higher end car audio you can't even compare.

Pioneer HHR: paper cone, no tweeter other than a paper something?, foam around the speaker cone
Alpine (not even the high end ones), poly cone, dome tweeters, rubber surround

The amp in the Pioneer set up does do wonders, I'm trying to get away with not putting another amp in if possible.