HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Torque Steer

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 09:12 PM

Torque Steer

Is anybody bothered by this? I just ran into a friend at the first car show of the year, and he just traded in his 07 HHR for an 08 SS HHR. With less than 1000 miles on it, he is ready to sell it. He said that the car has such severe torque steer that he hates driving it. On the highway, he said it was relaxing to drive his naturally aspirated HHR, but with the SS he has to hold onto the steering wheel with both hands, because when he steps on the gas, he never knows when the turbo will kick in and the steering wheel will be yanked from his hands.

Two questions-anybody else have this problem? and-do you think he will have a hard time selling it? It is Sunburst Orange with an automatic tranny. He is looking to get $20,000 for it.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:28 PM

Never ONCE have I had that problem with my SS with over 4200 miles under her belt.

As for $20K for a used SS I bought my new one for about that amount after rebates and dealer discounts.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:46 PM

Another SS owner with a complaint, haha, this is going to get old real fast.. Once again SS owners, you chose a high horse power FRONT wheel drive SPORTS car, it is not and will not ever be a slow slush box you are used to. Boosted cars have there own personality, driving them will take a minute to get to know them, they are not for everyone. Come on people its an SS ! If you wanted a slow, easy to drive comfort car with armrests and heated seats and all that tacky stuff, maybe an SS isnt the car for you...

Please Sell The Car To Someone Who Actually Wants It
Old 04-08-2008, 09:56 PM

I think most people are confusing torque steer with spinning the tires you are trying to steer with. I haven't noticed much torque steer with my SS, however when you spin the front tires you have to be ready for it. It is a completely different experience than a rear wheel drive car.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:08 PM

Oh for goodness sakes man. Yes, a high HP front wheel drive car does take some attention when you are hard on it, but the substantial torque delivery is smooth and predictable, there is no "turbo hit". Methinks he should stick with an econo car if it scares him that much.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by c2vette
Oh for goodness sakes man. Yes, a high HP front wheel drive car does take some attention when you are hard on it, but the substantial torque delivery is smooth and predictable, there is no "turbo hit". Methinks he should stick with an econo car if it scares him that much.
100% AGREE
Old 04-08-2008, 10:15 PM

he must be used to driving rice burners, this car is snooth as silk, and if he knew how to drive, he wouldn't be breaking the tires loose.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:22 PM

The only torque steer I notice is when taking off from a stop making a turn.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by ivtech
The only torque steer I notice is when taking off from a stop making a turn.
Same here. But since I know it's going to do it, it's not a big deal.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:23 PM

zero torque steer issues here, and i've got more power (yay for 5-spd hehe). yeah, if you nail the gas, you gotta make sure you're in control as things like that can occur, but hey, maybe he just has bad timing and hits a pothole everytime he nails the gas . but i agree with everyone else, if you want the smooth comfy cruiser...the SS probably isn't what you should buy. and ditto with the starting while turning, that's the only time even a hint of torque steer arises.

Quick Reply: Torque Steer