HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Trade my 09 LT for 09 SS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 10:00 PM

Trade my 09 LT for 09 SS?

A year after buying my 09 LT (around 2011) I test drove a 2010 SS and fell in love. Ever since I've been on the hunt for either an 09 or 10 SS black on black with low mileage, and I finally found one.

I put a deposit on the car so they would hold it until I saw it today. Although I was excited to finally get behind the wheel of another SS, I kept my composure and throughly reviewed the car front to back, head to toe. Minor issues, but all common from an everyday driver.

Inside the SS it has an aftermarket Pioneer Mixtrax. It has warning chimes but no turn signal sounds, so my guess is because who ever put it in didn't use a GMOS-LAN-03 interface. Now to the driving this beast.

As soon as I pulled out of the dealer parking lot, I noticed the car made a loud noise every time we went over a major bump in the road. Nothing out of the ordinary, just sounded amplified compared to my LT. Would this be because it's an SS and has a different suspension system? My LT has GM factory struts and NAPA performance rear shocks, so it's nothing special, but going down the same road it didn't sound nearly as loud or rough.

We went around the dealership on local roads, and I finally asked to take it on the highway to see what it did. Merging onto the highway it could easily pick up speed, but I was afraid to really open her up as the car salesmen was gripping the door like he was ready to S$% a brick...we were only going 70. The SS felt smoother on the highway, but still it felt as if my LT was smoother. We finally headed back to the dealership and I gave her a little more gas (maybe 40%) as a final chance to see what she had, and although the exhaust sounded great and the car did pickup, I was expecting more. Maybe I needed to really put my lead foot to use? Car was reading 515 PSI fuel pressure, 32 degree inlet air on the center computer when it was in park idling.

Now it was time to negotiate.

I got them to give me $5,200 for my LT with the condition that I could "pay a professional" to pull the dvd/nav unit, backup camera, and sound system from it and install all the factory speakers and radio. This means I would pay $7,660 for the SS.

So my question is, am I making the right decision or am I in for a long mess of fixes? Here's the breakdown:

2009 SS black on black w/ 59000 miles
  • Auto start
  • No Brembos
  • Loud (almost amplified) road noise when going over bumps around town, normal road noise on highway.
  • Riding on factory 18" rims with Goodyear Eagle Sport tires - didn't ride as smooth as my LT that currently has winter wheels (factory 16s with Continental Xtreme Contact DWS)
  • Factory rear XM antenna with no XM radio due to the crappy pioneer mixtrax head unit
  • 3 out of 4 SS rims with curb rash and center caps delaminating
  • Clean body - no dings or dents but a few minor paint chips from road debris
  • Unknown if it has any major mechanical issues
  • Have to get the front windows tinted to match the back
  • Has fog lights
  • IT'S A DARN SS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

My 2009 LT w/ 106,000 miles (2.2)
  • Maintained by my brother and I, known to have no mechanical issues
  • upgraded drilled/slotted rotors with ceramic brakes (front) NAPA performance drums (rear) - feels as if it stopped faster than the SS
  • Rides smoother than SS (could also be because it's currently on the factory 16s and thicker Continental Xtreme Contact DWS tires)
  • Can take the Pioneer DVD/NAV head unit, back up camera, aftermarket XM antenna out and install factory radio
  • Can take the all weather mats to put in the SS as well
  • "wasted" money on a GMPP intake that never got installed ( I know I could always sell it here)
  • "wasted" money on Borla exhaust (again, I know I could list it here) since I don't think it would fit on an SS and I'm pretty sure the SS exhaust is the same.

So the silly old question remains...Trade in my reliable rock solid 09 LT with 106,000 for a 09 SS with 59,000 miles and possibly have more trouble than it's worth?

Either way, I found another 09 SS with 4,000 miles less that I'm gonna look at tomorrow that happens to be $2,000 less. Not bad, but it's victory red and not black
Old 01-29-2015, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

Well, that choice is solely on you and what you desire.

Yes, the SS does have a little more road noise than a regular HHR. You didn't say what tires were on it. Tire choice can make a big difference in road noise.

FWIW. 40% throttle won't get you much kick. Gotta get the rpms and boost up then hang on to the steering wheel with both hands ! Torque steer on the SS can be a little frightening the 1st time you experience it.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Well, that choice is solely on you and what you desire.

Yes, the SS does have a little more road noise than a regular HHR. You didn't say what tires were on it. Tire choice can make a big difference in road noise.

FWIW. 40% throttle won't get you much kick. Gotta get the rpms and boost up then hang on to the steering wheel with both hands ! Torque steer on the SS can be a little frightening the 1st time you experience it.
The SS has Goodyear Eagle Sport. I think If I change them it would make the ride a little smoother.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:42 PM

I went with a little taller and wider and softer tire than stock and it helped the traction and road noise and it does ride smoother. I liked that it did fill in the wheel weels a little better. I have had people ask if it is lowered..all in all good move.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by black Tara
I went with a little taller and wider and softer tire than stock and it helped the traction and road noise and it does ride smoother. I liked that it did fill in the wheel weels a little better. I have had people ask if it is lowered..all in all good move.
Good to know. I'm a huge fan of how my LT became an entirely new ride once I put the Continental Extreme contact DWS. Went from sliding around town one winter to a car that could handle snow no problem. If I went with the SS I would probably put them on.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:31 PM

Did you check to see if the SS had a tune done to it?. Huge difference in power!!
Old 01-30-2015, 09:40 PM

I had a 06 LS before and find that they are totally two different cars. If you're looking for more fun and having a rare ride than the SS is for you. I do like the LT's for all the nice options, good all around car.

I wouldn't buy the SS unless they fix the curb rash.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Tyler Harvey
I had a 06 LS before and find that they are totally two different cars. If you're looking for more fun and having a rare ride than the SS is for you. I do like the LT's for all the nice options, good all around car.

I wouldn't buy the SS unless they fix the curb rash.
I definitely would want to go with an SS if it was in good shape. I walked away from the deal since they would not let me have my mechanic look over the car before I purchased. May sound crazy, but would want peace of mind especially since I know my LT has no issues.

Trade my 09 LT that was paid in full when I picked it up with upgraded rims, brakes/rotors, basically new tires, and all the little mods I did for an 09 SS that I would need to finance 7k and it might need new tires/wheels, bakes/rotors, possibly new struts? No thanks. I'm sure some SS owners will cringe at this, but I can get the stage 2 turbo kit from ZZP for less and a tune for my LT to have it become more of a fun ride like the SS. Still not an SS by any means, but would sure be fun!

Any forum members in the Jersey Shore area, the car is probably still available if you're interested. It's in Toms River, NJ
Old 02-02-2015, 07:23 PM
Premium Member

Not such a hard decision .....one of each works well.
Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2015, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by SS fan
Not such a hard decision .....one of each works well.
I debated doing that too, but only if I found the SS at a fair price. Use the LT as an everyday and the SS as the weekend warrior/fun car!

Either way, I'm gonna continue my search and hopefully find a 2010 SS that has more of the options I wanted (Brembos, Premium audio system, auto start maybe, and of course wheels with no curb rash!). Plenty of 2008 SS, so hopefully more 2010s come up as we're getting closer to the summer.

Quick Reply: Trade my 09 LT for 09 SS?