HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Tried to see about trading the SS in....

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 09:34 AM

Tried to see about trading the SS in....

At our Chevy store, I decided to try and dump the SS and look into an Equinox. Book trade in is $12,300 for a 20,000 mile 09HHR/SS!!! Street sale price is maybe $16,000-$17,000 if you are lucky. How depressing. I owe more then its even worth at this point. What a joke. Ive worked for Chevy for 24 years and I know they dont hold value.....but this sucks. Its not even 2 years old yet. So for anyone wondering if their SS will hold value or ever be worth anything......It wont be! When I pay it off next year, it will be worthless come time to trade in........
Old 12-03-2010, 09:52 AM
Premium Member

The question is did you buy it for the resale value. A honda civic or a toyota preuis have resale value but how boring would that be. Doesn't the thrill factor coun't for something ?
Old 12-03-2010, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by SS fan
The question is did you buy it for the resale value. A honda civic or a toyota preuis have resale value but how boring would that be. Doesn't the thrill factor coun't for something ?
I drive new and trade in every 4-5 years. No, I did not buy for resale vale because working for GM,I know there is none. Thrill factor is fine and it counts......but I am commuting 50 miles per day now as we just bought a house further away. Paying for Premium only fuel is taking its toll and it is now $3.40 -$3.50 by me now. That and the fact I have had more turbo related problems and some other annoying issues with the car......kind knocked all the wind out my sails with this car.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:53 AM

I share your pain, I was looking at trading in my SS and the trade-in value is awful so I'm just going to keep driving it for another 10 years
Old 12-03-2010, 01:33 PM
Platinum Member

I KIND of agree with the GM products not retaining value, But it really depends on the price paid and the amount of money financed for the sale.

You indicate that you have worked for GM for 24 years, so you probably applied the GM Employee Discount. Was that before or after the new discount pricing structure?

In the old days, after applying my Employee Discount, providing the cash for tax and license....I always made a "buck or two" on the resale of my vehicle. Most were presold before the vehicle was ordered, so sometimes the license plates were even paid by the new owner. Of course, the vehicles were retained in regard to the corporate purchasing policy. It's pretty hard to do that under the new discount program.

Out of curiousity, what did you pay...minus tax and license... for your SS?
Old 12-03-2010, 02:18 PM
Premium Member

Its not just GM with issues I bought a used 740 sport "the ultimate driving machine" yes it is a pleasure to drive but fixing things on it will make you cry.But I still own it guess unless we buy a 86'excort we will be shelling out some change to satisfy our fleshly desires. I really enjoy driving the short bus hope mine wasn't made on a monday!!
Old 12-03-2010, 02:35 PM

I would think that because now the SS is no longer made that it might stabilize the resale value. Just my 2 cents..........
Old 12-03-2010, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by SS fan
I really enjoy driving the short bus hope mine wasn't made on a monday!!
Those made on a friday, are even worse.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:37 PM

I work for GM and the employee discount is not what it used to be. Now there is hardly anything for a vehicle that is new or is a hot seller. A friend of mine only got $250 off with his discount on his new Camaro RS.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by bigallis1
I would think that because now the SS is no longer made that it might stabilize the resale value. Just my 2 cents..........
I'm hoping fo rhtis too. I traded in my 2003 Silverado SS for the 2008 HHR SS I own now. KBB (kelly blue book) trade in value for the truck was around $6700. The HHR was around $16,900 retail. When I asked the guy what he would give me, he said he doesn't use KBB because it's not reliable for actual market value. He checked current acution houses and said he would give me $11k for it except for some minor scratches, went down to $10k. I agreed, more than happy to take the higher offer of KBB. Financed the rest of the HHR for around $12k (after paying off the truck and license/tax fo the HHR). So, when I went to finance, the Credit Union was happy I purchased the new car nder KBB (since they use that as a base line for loans), and I was happy I got a great deal out of it.

I really do feel the SS factor will carry on the resale value as well as the "supply/demand" factor for those who are looking for this car. I know it won't be worth anywhere near new value but I'm pretty sure it will stay up there above KBBs lame idea of what a car is worth.

Quick Reply: Tried to see about trading the SS in....