HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

What a blast!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 07:53 AM

What a blast!

This past weekend I visited my father up in New York state, and I got to drive the SS on lots of twisties and turnies. Here is a link to a video of one of the roads I take to get to his house called Bear Mountain Road. The video was shot by someone on a motocycle. I had to be careful for areas of ice, where water runs off the rocks and on to the roadway. Otherwise, I drove balls to the wall in most areas of the 4 mile run. It was so much fun.

To think I used to have to drive this road in a commercial truck almost every day during my college days!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IByttC6HZ2Y

BTW - my round trip was about 450 miles, and I averaged 60 MPH and 31 MPG. I love this car.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:56 AM

funny, the description on the YouTube page says "while traveling south from Bear Mountain on US 6..." Last I checked, US 6 runs east-west.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:22 PM

that's my home turf-one of my favorite roads. 6 technically does run east/west, but that segment is sort of SE heading that way.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:30 PM

You should see some of the fun roads around here, in Nor-Cal.
Lots of real twisties and elevation changes.
I've got one, called Redwood Road, and few miles from the house, that will really find your cars limit. I use it to find the limits on the suspension, and with the HHR-SS, stock suspension[so far], I wish I had shoulder harness's in here. This puppy corners hard. Looks like Pedders is next, then I will put harness's in. Don't have any way to video, but might take some pics. later.
This road is one of many around here. "Moon"
Old 01-12-2010, 10:20 PM

I know that road well. Although US6 / 202 supposed to run E/W, this segment runs N/S. It starts at the Bear Mountain bridge and is on the east side of the Hudson between Manitou to the north and Peekskill to the south.

For an even more thrilling ride, try Rt218 on the west side of the Hudson. It's in the same general area and runs over Storm King Mountain between West Point to the south and Cornwall to the north. My son an I tried out our new sway bars on this road (he had one first in his Cobalt and got me one for my HHR SS) and it was an absolute blast as well.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by 87silver
I know that road well. Although US6 / 202 supposed to run E/W, this segment runs N/S. It starts at the Bear Mountain bridge and is on the east side of the Hudson between Manitou to the north and Peekskill to the south.

For an even more thrilling ride, try Rt218 on the west side of the Hudson. It's in the same general area and runs over Storm King Mountain between West Point to the south and Cornwall to the north. My son an I tried out our new sway bars on this road (he had one first in his Cobalt and got me one for my HHR SS) and it was an absolute blast as well.
That road is also awesome, but I haven't been on it for many years. I used to ride it when I'd go to West Point fairly oftern.

Moving down to flat and straight NJ, the only twisties I see are jughandles and ramps. Of course, I take those as fast as possible.....
Old 01-15-2010, 02:26 PM

Cool. I live in Westchester and go to Bear Mt State Park quite a bit. That road IS FUN and my SS loves those curves. See, we are practically neighbors..
Old 02-06-2010, 03:45 PM

just saw this... cool video. I am going to miss this area. I used live close (Ringwood NJ) and rode this stretch on my Monster all the time. lotsa fun with nobody in front of you.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by peevlos
just saw this... cool video. I am going to miss this area. I used live close (Ringwood NJ) and rode this stretch on my Monster all the time. lotsa fun with nobody in front of you.
The problem is that when you go fast, you catch up to everyone.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by jerSSey HHR
The problem is that when you go fast, you catch up to everyone.
I feel the same way when I'm on my 675. Interestingly enough, I'll double a speed limit, but won't pass on a solid line.

Quick Reply: What a blast!