HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

What do you wish Chevy had done to the "SS"

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 12:13 PM

Heated Mirrors. and a HD Auto Trans with an LSD.

I read they used the 4t45e because nothing else would fit.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:12 PM

A LSD and upgraded brakes on the auto would have been an upgrade I gladly have paid for.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:08 PM

projectors with hid's....moar power.. a 6 speed...or maybe a 6 speed auto
Old 09-08-2010, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by bad03xtreme
Wider tires and a cue ball shifter...
I was gonna suggest a Bigfoot gas pedal but I thought that might be overboard!
Old 09-09-2010, 08:55 AM

AWD and 300HP and a 6 speed stronger transmission.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:02 PM

AWD would have been nice and upgraded styling on the higher end models. I see it is very common these days for auto makers to offer their base to mid models with the basics but offer their higher end models with options such as HID Projector lights, LED Tail Lights. I would have also like to see them with a dual exhaust on the rear even if it was mostly cosmetic.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:12 PM

High output V6, AWD, throaty exhaust with dual outlets, 4 wheel disk brakes, rear sway bar, body colored grille, mirror caps, and door handles, and center storage console. Just to name a few.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:39 PM

Well I will make mine a realistic request.

The car is fine for what it is. I would have liked to have seen this car from the start with the 6 Speed but GM just did not have one. The LSD would have been nice on the Auto to. Also I would have liked a better gauges in the dash. The Tach and Speedo are useless in this car. IT could have been designed much better to be easier to read at a glance. That is a key in a good performance dash. You should not have to look at it with more than a glance to know what the car is doing.

The AWD,more HP, V6, HID, RWD, bigger brakes, etc are all nice and good ideas but most here would have never paid the price. Lets face it would have paid $35K for this or would you have bought a Camaro or other option at that price? The closer you get to $40K there are more and better cars can be had.

Louder exhaust may have had issues with goverment driveby regs. I do like the idea of a duel outlet as it may help the sound since few 4 cylinders soud good.

As for the suspension this is the best FWD GM has ever made for handling. It is easy to drive fast. Bigger bars and springs may have upped the limits but also comprimised ride like it has in older GM cars like the Trans Am. Sometime less is more in the real world for daily drivers. Leave the extreams to the aftermarkets or limit cars like the ZR1.

The Idea of the HHR SS was Cheap but fast play toy that was still good on gas. That is what this delivers and accept for some cheap interior items it does what it does well.

A few of us have had issues but most do not have issues so it for the most is a good car.

I have a GTP Conp G that was Stickered at $33K and I still love driving the SS more. It handels better, it rides better and it has much better seats. The only thing the GTP has that I wish the HHR had was HUD.

The Upgrade kit was fine as an option but they should have made proper weather tight connectors on the harness adaptors. I know they did not do it to save cost and only have to offer one kit for 4 cars. The Solstice and Sky took different connectors. It would have made it better for the owners and GM would have saved on many warranty issues.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:57 PM

1.True dual exhaust
2.Stage 1 as an option from factory with better wiring.
3.Leather heated seats as option. Why this was left out of the SS is beyond me.
4.Heated mirrors
5.AWD
6.A better interior instead of all that horrid cheap looking plastic.
7. Not a $29,000 sticker. Car is fun......but no way is it worth sticker price. $21,000-23,000 tops.
8.Rear sway bar from factory
9.Stronger trans
Thats my wish list.......
Old 09-09-2010, 08:27 PM

I've read the posts in this thread and re-read them so that I didn't duplicate or miss any points. Most of the desired missing components or upgrades wanted are available on other SS or GM non-SS models. I understand this thread is for fun and not intended to get into DEEP discussions on what is good and not so good. However, with that stated and understood I will say that dollar for dollar for what the HHR SS cost GM could not have done it better.
What we have here, is a real first class hot rod. I have owned many GM SS cars since my first new GM purchase of a 1966 Chevy II SS 327 V8 - 350 HP. I will say even though I would not mind having it back today, techically it didn't hold a candle to this HHR SS model. And, even if we were to compare the HHR SS to newer SS models of late, it is still an awesome example of what the SS should mean. Sure to have a V6 or V8 with 6 speed std or auto supercharged AWD with air ride suspension and better soundproofing, softer, quieter more plush interior would be great and I would have purchased one even though the price tag would have probably been another $15,000 more than the $27,000 my panel SS was stickered at.
I really like the look of the HHR SS just as it is and would not trade it even up for a new Corvette or a Camaro SS if I had to drive them and keep them. Well, maybe the Corvette ZR 1 but that's it, not even the new Z28 with the supercharger.

Last edited by harleysshhr; 09-11-2010 at 04:56 PM.

Quick Reply: What do you wish Chevy had done to the "SS"