HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

ZZP downpipe first mod?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
The Trifecta alone is worth the money well spent. Get the better one and it will help with mods.
ok great, what do you mean by better one?
Old 10-12-2018, 03:24 PM
Platinum Member

There's an old thread somewhere about coring out the 2nd cat and getting a good quality tune. New downpipes are nice but you can achieve the same results by just doing that 2nd cat "mod".
Old 10-12-2018, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
There's an old thread somewhere about coring out the 2nd cat and getting a good quality tune. New downpipes are nice but you can achieve the same results by just doing that 2nd cat "mod".
ok thanks I might go that route then.
Old 10-13-2018, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Donnybrook

ok great, what do you mean by better one?
There is a standard tune you can install alone and the other one lets you record info from the engine that is sent back to Trifecta where they send you an update to the tune installed.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
There is a standard tune you can install alone and the other one lets you record info from the engine that is sent back to Trifecta where they send you an update to the tune installed.

Again, No SS here, but my trifecta tune used data logging and several refinements before we were done. It was "standard" to do it that way back then when dealing directly with Vince at the company. (Vince is no longer available, I don't know any more than that about him or why Trifecta dropped support) I bought the software and dongle and installed my tune myself with files Vince sent me. I think what you are calling a "standard tune" was done through Trifecta "dealers" or "salesmen" that you would meet with and they would use their connector (dongle) and laptop to flash a generic tune. Those guys may not have had the knowledge to fine tune, but may have had the capability to do so... Data logging was part of the software package. The actual modifications was dealing directly with code, from what I understand, something Vince was "The GoTo Guy" for... Back in the day, from what I was seeing both methods cost the same and were considered "standard" Trifecta tunes. (I paid more only because I purchased my own dongle, they offered a loaner dongle as well at the time)

From what I understand Trifecta no longer offers my tune or any tune for the 2.2L or 2.4L, while they might still offer a tune for the SS. That I don't know. It would be best to check the Trifecta website to see if they offer anything for our platform first. Also from what I've seen many guys with the SS go with something more like HP Tuners, costs more but many more options. HP tuners is something you can make your own adjustments with.

Back to the ZZP downpipe specifically, it may not make enough of a difference as the only modification to make it cost effective to get a tune for... Back in the day it was recommended that you made all, or most of your planned modifications, then you got your tune. Otherwise you would be paying for a new tune every time you made changes. Thus the popularity of HP Tuners where you can make your own changes as you go... (I personally have never dealt with HP Tuners, I just go by what I've read)
Old 10-13-2018, 09:36 AM

Thank you !!!
Old 10-13-2018, 09:38 AM

Thank you , yeah I was just thinking of little things I could do before I get my tune.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:36 AM

Look for mods done by 2005HHRAuto, he has posted many things do work, and some that don't. My 1st suggestion is DON'T do the so called cold air inlet that removes where the inlet air is sourced from. The factory location is the best regardless of what some may say, it is by far the coolest. the Down pipe is the another, The K&N inlet, the then the hot side tube running over the top. you are gonna want to change those before you do anything else, and while a number suggest the Trifecta I don't know if they are doing it anymore. 2005HHRAuto, myself and few others use HPTuners .
Old 10-13-2018, 08:20 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by Donnybrook
Hey everyone, I just bought a 08 HHR SS with a manual and was wondering if you thought the zzp downpipe would be a good first performance upgrade. I am new to the turbo game and don’t know too much about them , so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. And by the way this is my daily driver.

Great choice, as the HHR SS is a most excellent daily driver...
In these great times, a 'tune' is always the BEST 1st mod, & can be your only mod, as the HHR SS really responds GREAT with any 'tune'...
Even the cheapest & simplest 'tune' will put a smile on your face, & make your HHR SS proform like a true muscle car...

If you have E85 in your area, a simple E47 'tune', which is a 50/50 blend of 93 gasoline & E85, will turn your HHR SS into a mid to low 13 second machine at the track...
Just the Ethanol mix itself gives our engine 30 more horsepower, & 90' lbs of extra torque...
I have been running an E47 mix for the past 8 years, & it makes me smile everyday...

And a 'tune' can be really inexpensive if you know someone that has HPTuner, as he can purchase for $100, the code to unlock your PCM for him to 'tune' your HHR SS...
I have several 'tunes' posted on the hptuners.com site that you or your friend can learn from, just search for my posts, user name 2000Firehawk...

Our HHR SS really responses to just a few simple mods, as GM did such a GREAT job creating it...
1. Coring the 2nd cat gets rid of the exhaust restriction that we have, & can easily done for $5, & one hour of your time...
2. Replacing the plastic inlet pipe with the one that K&N sells for I think $25, that will get rid of our air intake restriction, & will take about 30 minutes to install...
3. A Hi-Performance motor mount from a vendor on this site, which costs maybe $100-$200, to make your HHR SS 'hook', to plant the power, & reduce the 'torque-steer', & will also take about 30 minutes to install...

That's it... Throw a set of slicks on it, & break into the 12s at the track...
Checkout my posts on this site, user 2005HHRauto for lots of info...

An expensive 3" catback will help a little at the track, but really isn't needed for a 100% street car...
Expensive engine part upgrades will probably help at the track, & I don't use any, & my engine is totally stock, as GM did such a GREAT job creating our engine..
The stock intercooler/piping are just fine, really no need to change anything...

I have done a 100 lb weight reduction with lightweight rotors/tires/wheels, & run 12.3s at the track, & it feels GREAT on the street...
I use my own 'track-only-tune' that lets me 'over-boost' the hell out my turbo at the track, & to be able to 'boost-launch' off of the line at 6lbs boost,
to be able to run 12.3s...

One-&-done, just a 'tune' & your HHR SS will put a smile on your face everyday...
3 more simple mods to 'correct' the 'little' things that will make your HHR SS AWESOME... & whatever/any 'tune' you put in doesn't need changed with these 3 simple mods...

I'm 65 & have been hot-rodding cars since I was 16, & the HHR SS is the simplest & easiest car to have 'fun' with, & I still LOVE it, & it still puts a smile on my face everyday...

Cars that I have hot-rodded in the past... 69 440 Charger R/T, 70 HEMICUDA, 71 HEMICUDA, 70 HEMI Challenger. 71 HEMI Charger, 71 340 Duster, 72 440 Charger, 74 360 CUDA,
74 440 GTX/Roadrunner, 88 5.0 Mustang, 98 Camaro Z/28...
I wish that I would've kept one of those HEMI cars...LOL

Keep-it-simple, don't mod just because you think that you need to do crazy things like in the past...
Old 10-14-2018, 12:54 AM

Thank you

Quick Reply: ZZP downpipe first mod?