Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   "How To" Tutorial Library (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/)
-   -   Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement (w. pics) - P0010/11 P0013/14 (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/camshaft-position-actuator-solenoid-valve-replacement-w-pics-p0010-11-p0013-14-a-28779/)

donbrew 11-17-2013 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by larry h (Post 725981)
I have a problem. Went to remove the the solenoids and both came apart, i only got the top part off. I have no idea how to get the rest of the solenoids out. Anyone have any ideas?

read post #392 of this thread. Once you remove the hold down bolt the only thing holding them in is an O-ring. Thus the suggestion to pry from the bottom rather than pull from the top.

larry h 11-18-2013 04:42 AM

Tried getting under them with a screwdriver with no luck. Its hard to believe that a o-ring is the only thing holding these in.

whopper 11-18-2013 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by larry h (Post 726030)
Tried getting under them with a screwdriver with no luck. Its hard to believe that a o-ring is the only thing holding these in.

Once the hold-down bolt is removed, as with most things sealed with an o-ring, a twisting motion is used to remove them. You may have to use pliers, or if you have broken them already, a pair of needle-nosed vice grips.

Post a picture if you can - it might help us see the situation a little better.

gaspergou 11-19-2013 07:16 AM

Yea, I had the exact same problem about 3 weeks ago. One of mine snapped in half. I was able to use a flat screw driver and hammer. I put the screwdriver tip at an angle on the tab that the bolt goes thru. Then tap with hammer. It started to twist. I then did that again in the opposite direction till it loosened. I was then able to get a small, thin screw driver beneath the tab and started wedging it upward. I wish you luck on this. I kinda freaked out when it happened to me. But once I got it loose, everything else went according to plan. I wish you luck with this.

JCJSS 11-20-2013 08:24 AM

Check engine light came on a few days ago and had the local parts store scan for the code yesterday and the P0011 came up. Without reading thru all 41 pages, does this have to be replaced immediately? Car has 59k miles. Thanks

BQS4 11-20-2013 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by JCJSS (Post 726323)
Check engine light came on a few days ago and had the local parts store scan for the code yesterday and the P0011 came up. Without reading thru all 41 pages, does this have to be replaced immediately? Car has 59k miles. Thanks

I wouldn't wait too long....

donbrew 11-20-2013 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by JCJSS (Post 726323)

You could just read the first page.

whopper 11-20-2013 11:55 AM

It sure can't be easy on the tranny and the drivetrain with those abrupt shifts. It's not a big job to replace the solenoid(s), and they aren't that expensive, so why wait?

JCJSS 11-20-2013 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew (Post 726342)
You could just read the first page.

Actually, just got thru re-reading the 1st page and still haven't seen the answer. Reason why I was asking is because getting bogus check engine lights have been an on going experience with this car and 2 Chevy dealers have yet to be able to find a cause. Rather than rushing to the dealer, at times, waiting 2-3 days and the light will go off.

Disappointed to see what I view as a wise azz reply from a moderator.

whopper 11-21-2013 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by JCJSS (Post 726384)
Reason why I was asking is because getting bogus check engine lights have been an on going experience with this car and 2 Chevy dealers have yet to be able to find a cause. Rather than rushing to the dealer, at times, waiting 2-3 days and the light will go off.

I wish you had stated that up front. Bogus Check lights? Was anyone able to download the diagnostic codes? If so, were they different than your P0011? What were they?

Fyi: - the solenoid problem may result in the abrupt shifting without the CEL lighting up. The light may come on sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't.
- a number of other error conditions can also cause it to go into error mode, and does the hard shifting thing
- the abrupt shifting may also come and go (after an engine shutdown) - can be very intermittent
- if you had read past the first page, part way down on the 2nd page, there is a reference about broken engine mounts caused by the hard shifting - but that has not been verified.
- and further down in the thread are the resistance readings for the solenoids in case one wants to throw an ohm meter across the contacts to see if the current ones are out of spec.