"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Changing LED's in Radio, Heater Controls, & Instrument Panel

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 05:36 PM

Changing LED's in Radio, Heater Controls, & Instrument Panel

Has anybody expermented with this? I know that the heater controls are mostly easy to do and require PLCC-2 SMD LED's, But i'm looking more so for the radio controls and the I/P lights. Please help. I'm looking to desolder and replace with different blue then the aqua blue, chevy gives us. Any ideas? Websites? I know mouser.com has alot of LED's, just trying to pick the right ones. Thanks for the help on this one.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:18 PM

Check out this thread, it may give you some ideas.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...ight=blue+leds
Old 02-15-2009, 08:36 PM

Thanks nss79. I'm looking more for a permanent solution. I like desoldering. I'm looking for a person who as already ripped the lights out and put new ones in their place. I have ripped open the HVAC Controls and radio and wil be doing the cluster next. However I did notice that the LED's which are aqua in the radio and HVAC are actually YELLOW with Green film over them, making them AQUA. What a gross color for GM to pick!

Has anybody used a Micrometer to measure the exact measurements of the LEDS in all three unit? I nee exact measurements of the leds? I know the Radio LEDS are different than the HVAC ones in size. I will look closer at the Cluster ones, when i remove it!
Old 02-15-2009, 09:00 PM

jus to note they are really tiny surface mount LEDs can be a pita
Old 02-16-2009, 02:11 PM

Yes, very small surface mount LEDs are used inside the Radio. Hard to deal with for most of us. I was inside the radio the other day swapping the functions of two buttons which Chevy put in the wrong positions(another story) when I had to take notice of the LEDs and the clear plastic optic diffusers. If you find a way to better illuminate the “Volume Control” I would like to hear about it as I still can’t find it in the dark.

The thread mentioned above I found interesting and wished I had the capabilities to solder surface mount components.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:24 PM

just dont use a hot iron.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by masterchief1112
just dont use a hot iron.
Older shaky hands too!
Old 02-20-2009, 09:32 PM

Ok, I have successfully changed most of the LED,s In The Radio. I can give everybody some info on this process if anybody would like to try it. You have to be good at soldering and VERY PATIENT! Where the LED's are placed there i a thick white line which indicates Negative. I bought my lights from Mouser, because They looked like a direct replacement and they fit very nicely. They are a little different,but work nonetheless. I chose to go with Blue/Red Combination. I made the #'s 1-6 RED, the Power Button, Info Button, & Music Note Button Red, CD Guide Lights all red. Everything else is Blue.

I DID NOT, Change the LED's in the Actual LCD Display, and i don't recommend that anybody attempt that. It's sealed for a reason. I wonder If Panasonic would sell me one already done in a different color? Anywho, I will be posting pics soon. I think the radio turned out fabolous and the lights are a little brighter than stock too, which I think is a plus. I plan on getting a Light filter which you can buy at most music shops. This would be a colored filter for like a mood light. Cut to fit the shape of the radio, and instant Blue LCD, which will also have COMPLETELY EVEN COLOR, instead of Sharpie'ing the Glass.

Anybody else interested? I would like to post a total tutorial, but only if people would be interested? Thoughts?
Old 02-20-2009, 10:07 PM

i'd be interested, i'd like to do them all red and white, dash included. definitely interested in pictures. i may not be very good at soldering, but i have a friend who is a total techno-wiz and has offered to do stuff for me in the past.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:49 PM

LED's Needed For Mod - Parts List

First The Lights - I Bought all lights from www.mouser.com and www.oznium.com, which are great sites. Mouser, has the best selection, but may take a while to find the lights you need.

For the Radio Only (0805 - 1.4mm SMD LED):
http://mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx...PartNumber%7c0

For HVAC & Instrument Cluster (PLCC-2 - LED):
http://www.oznium.com/plcc-2

Pick your color, and you should be good to go. You do not need any Resistors for any of these. I have installed all LED's in my Radio without any resistors.

Radio LED's Used: From mouser.com
859-LTST-C170TBKT
Blue Clear
859-LTST-C170KRKT
Red Clear

In The Radio, There are two LED's which are hard to get to. You need to desolder the Knobs off the board for the Volume and Tune Knobs. Not too hard to so, just use alot of Liquid Flux, Desoldering Pump, and Braid. Once you get them both off, you can get down to the basics of getting all of the lights replaced. Pics soon to follow.