"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

fender skirt install

Old 07-12-2007, 08:02 PM

fender skirt install

I waited to post this till I took skirts off for tire rotation..so here goes
I got skirts from www.californiacruisers.com These ARE HHR skirts, obvious by the way the door is cut..There is a buyer beware thread on this site for you to read.. At the time, I wanted skirts and couldn't find another source..I was PERSISTANT and Bob answered by email..The issues were:
wait time, brackets placed wrong, had to be cutoff and reglued, one skirt had to be shaved to fit door, lack of instructions...
TOOLS; Phillips Head Driver, Air Cut Tool, Drill Bit to match screws in top brackets,
5/16 by 1/4 Socket, 1/4" Rachet, Permatex Permapoxy 5 min. Plastic Weld, Touch Up Paint =$10 from dealer
SCREWS; (per skirt) 2 top included, Bottom Rear = use hole and screw already there in well
Bottom Outside = 2 chrome self tapping included (I paintedto match)
Upper Front (by door, under rubber) = 1 chrome self tap included
Lower Front (inside fdr well) = 5/16, 1" L I purchased

Start with car on rack or jacks/stands, 2 people, wheels off..slip skirt on, lifting up top two brkts w/screws over lip of well, placing clip (no screw) in rear indent of well...push up firmly from bottom and against top outside, spreading skirt out watching for tire rub...mark for drill holes..
I had to drill twice due to misplacement...measure twice, well you know
Put wheels and skirts back on & mark drill holes for lower brackets, lifting up rubber and sliding bracket under it.
Take skirt off and drill holes where marked, check for door closing and shave, smooth and paint edge of skirt if necess. (Only 1 of my doors needed it...
Bolt skirt on...secure back flare on outside with 2 chrome Painted to match..self tapping screws
First time is hardest...after that I loose estimate 2 hrs per skirt, total 4 hrs.

Last edited by redrider; 07-12-2007 at 08:17 PM. Reason: add photos
Old 07-12-2007, 08:12 PM
jx3

Wow, talk about having to be precise!!
Maybe should be in the "how to" forum?
Old 07-12-2007, 08:14 PM

wow...so what happens when you get a rear flat tire?
Old 07-12-2007, 08:14 PM

Thanks for the write up.

As long as you like what you're doing, all is well.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:17 PM

On this pic it looks like the cut for the door isn't very "round". Is the fit better than what it seems from this pic?

Old 07-12-2007, 08:23 PM

If I had a do over I would round it off some..but not really noticable to most...
You are right, should probably be a how to guide
We drive VEEERY CAREFUWY or start over....
Old 07-12-2007, 08:45 PM
Founding Member

Keep in mind, the skirts do not work well with the first generation GoldLine lowering springs..... I know first hand! (But my mounting requirements were slightly different)

I'm glad you were able to get them to work out! Let us know how you do when your HHR is 'loaded up' with gear.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:56 PM

I don't have the lowering springs yet...we have made some trips, pretty loaded and didn't have a problem...just have to watch out for obstacles and do frequent tire checks..like rotation this week...
We feel so naked without them....but while they are off I may try to smooth out the door area like mike said...it doesn't get stuck, but I think it can look better...??
Thx for the tip sandy
Old 07-12-2007, 09:01 PM

Bigger problem is scraping lake pipes on speed bumps and steep drives...we've had several lowered street rods before so we drive like that except on interstate
Then we watch for retreads...
Old 07-12-2007, 09:22 PM

tire rotation must be an hour long job.....but worth it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fender skirt install