"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Fixing broken door handles on HHR

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 10:03 PM

Yes, I tried salvage yards with no success.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:31 PM

They don't have one or don't want to sell it off the door.?
Here is a place not far from your zip code,that has some HHRs

mailto:scottsttx@aol.com

PH# 1 800-955-0210
Old 07-05-2009, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by snakedoctor62
You can always extend the rope out the window and attach a couple of lemons to it. Then park the car in front of the dealership where you bought it. That might tempt the Chevy people to stock that little plastic part as a separate item.
You know what? This might just work.

GM made a bad design. I don't know of any auto that this part isn't replaceable without buying a whole door panel.

I do now it's an HHR.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
C'mon, with a handle like "tooter", you gotta take a little ribbin' about duct tape and bailing wire car repairs in Tennessee.
Well yeah, but I guess I'm lucky and haven't had to do that kind of repair work.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:14 PM

Another attempt to fix this piece of junk GM plastic.

I'm gonna see if I can find a place that will do a metal casting of this part, might be cheaper than buying a new door panel.

What I did was, epoxy the pieces together then epoxied a piece of metal to the handle, then I drilled pilot holes and put epoxy on the screws and tightened them up.

Put some epoxy in the crevices to give screw some grabbing power.

Also the ends of the plastic pin that holds the handle to the panel broke too, so I just used a screw and nut with threadlocker to keep it in place.

I really hope this works.

Name:  0718091938.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  46.2 KB

Name:  0718091939.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  51.1 KB
Old 07-22-2009, 10:22 AM

HHR door handle repaired

Just got my door panel replaced because of the door handle being broken....took 3 business days to get the panel ($369 for the panel and labor)...luckily I had an extended warranty so I just paid my $100 deductible. What a dumb design...if we only knew huh!! When I bought this car used a year ago I had a feeling I may be needing a warranty....and I never buy warranties...though I found out I was ripped off bad on it. They wanted $1800 for it....yikes! Don't pay more than a $1000 for one gang!!! Negotiate it like anything else....lesson learned! Boy, I am sorry guys, I really want my Mazda back...I miss the performance and handling of the Mazdas...though they are not perfect cars either! Love the look of the HHR though!
Old 08-27-2009, 04:08 PM

Post Broken interior door handle

OMG! I have the same problem with my driver's side door. I'm in Los Angeles. So I go to the dealer, and I'm about 100 miles past 36,000, so my bumper-to-bumper warranty just ran out. They tell me to get it fixed will be $445 plus tax. (Our tax is now 9.75%.) So of course I have a cow!!! I check to see if I can save money by getting the ENTIRE door panel and installing it myself, and it turns out to be $367.63 with tax. I'm unemployed right now (who isn't), but still, that's a lot of money. So I'm off to Walmart to get epoxy and fix it myself (I hope). I'm also going to write Chevy (for all the good it may do) and ask them if they know a replacement interior door handle runs $400+. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Dominique
Old 08-27-2009, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by tooter1

Thanks for the pics!

I've been following this thread, but somehow missed the pics before (most photos are filtered/blocked at work )

That is a cheap design-but looks like you did the best "DIY/at home" fix-hope it lasts for you.

Maybe someday there will be an aftermarket part, but not likely-even though the HHR is very popular among this group, there aren't a lot of them on the road. And I don't think the handle is shared on any other GM product...
Old 10-18-2009, 03:23 PM

For those of you who are still experiencing interior door handle failure. Try using epoxy let cure and go over the top of it with "the magic putty" (as seen on TV product) or you can generally find a version of it at some local hardware stores. I used the epoxy alone method which only lasted a few weeks, then i used the above method to repair it the second time and there hasn't been a third ( its been about 6 months). Hope this help any of you who really dont want to or just cant afford to spend in excess of $300.00 for a whole door panel.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:44 AM

Angry 2006 Chevy HHR inside door handles

WHY can't Chevy sell just the plastic door handle?
[/SIZE]

Quick Reply: Fixing broken door handles on HHR