"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

How to add GM Remote Start without option AP3

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 06:59 PM

Found some good info on this forum regarding some things I want to do to my new to me 07 HHR LT, so thanks for everyone's contributions. I have a fob with the remote start button, but no AP3 code. Tried grounding pin 3 at the BCM but still no option to setup remote start in the DIC
Old 06-29-2018, 08:28 PM
Technical Moderator

As explained several times in the preceding 20 pages; If the option is not in the DIC menu to begin with it won't work.

Did you look at your hood latch; is there a wiring harness attached to it?
Old 06-29-2018, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
As explained several times in the preceding 20 pages; If the option is not in the DIC menu to begin with it won't work.

Did you look at your hood latch; is there a wiring harness attached to it?
I read every page before I tried the grounding trick. I thought that by grounding pin 3 I'd see the option in the DIC but obviously that's not the case.
Are the BCM's locked after so many key cycles, or can they be flashed at any time? If it can be flashed at any time, I might try a different route...
Regarding the latch, I'll check it tomorrow after I rebuild the front end.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:29 AM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by paul1965
I read every page before I tried the grounding trick. I thought that by grounding pin 3 I'd see the option in the DIC but obviously that's not the case.
Are the BCM's locked after so many key cycles, or can they be flashed at any time? If it can be flashed at any time, I might try a different route...
Regarding the latch, I'll check it tomorrow after I rebuild the front end.
I also looking for adding option into BCM. but I do not know is it flash in processor or its a just configuration on eeprom...
Old 07-02-2018, 08:10 AM
Technical Moderator

If you read all 20 pages of this thread and still don't understand, you are not mechanically adept enough to attempt the mod on your own.

Start by reading your Owner Manual, if you don't have one a digital copy is available via the link in my sig.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:13 AM

If you read all 20 pages of this thread and still don't understand, you are not mechanically adept enough to attempt the mod on your own.

Start by reading your Owner Manual, if you don't have one a digital copy is available via the link in my sig.
I have read clearly all 20 pages and I am trying to make it by myself. I have a lot engineering tools for that (my job is automotive electritian with USA cars). First I need to find vehicle vin code which has factory activated remote start for looking part numbers of BCM / keys etc. But still nothing cause, everybody keeping silence...

Owner Manual is nothing, its just a paper in restroom. I want activate it NOT only by put ground into pin#3, I want to download flash from activated vehicle and download it to mine vehicle
Old 07-02-2018, 09:25 AM
Technical Moderator

Do you have access to TIS2web and a computer tool? If you know how to use the scantool you should be able to get the software and install it. If you know what you are doing with a scantool you might be able to just turn it on, that is way beyond the scope of this site.

The part numbers are the same.

The Owner Manual details the configuration.

GM does not condone modifications to the software. I don't know how to get a VIN, it would have to be the same year and all of the other options.

For most people an after market remote start is cheaper and easier to get. The people that say you can't are wrong. You might even be able to use the same fob.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:30 PM

Well I guess my time on this forum is already over. Thanks for such a warm welcome donbrew, you must think you're really special.

I'm a former ASE certified tech, with 25 years experience in dealers, independents, and national chains. I've also got 15 years in the automotive fleet industry. Just because I didn't understand how this hack works doesn't make me an idiot, nor does it mean I can't perform mods on my own. In fact I do all of my own mods, including installing OE steering wheel audio controls on my 05 Monte, installing a double DIN head unit in the same car when everyone said it couldn't be done, and installing a complete factory popup navigation system in my CTS.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:37 PM
Technical Moderator

Sorry. I see no references to relative intelligence.

You do reinforce my opinion of ASE mechanics.

Fact is: everything anyone needs to know about this particular mod is in the preceding 20 pages. Many people have done it that don't know which end of the ratchet is a hammer. Maybe you know so much that you are over thinking it?

1. car MUSThave ENABLE Remote Start already in the customization menu on the Driver Information Center. Directions are in your Owner Manual. This mod does not add any options to anything.

2. there is no need to worry about doing anything to a computer.

3. Once you fool the BCM into thinking the hood is closed by shorting the wire that is described in the OP (there are pictures later on). All you have to do is Either push Lock then push Start on the fob OR push Lock then push Lock and Panic at the same time.

4. If the option code AP3 appears on the label on the glove box door you DO NOT need to do this you already have it. Refer to your Owner Manual to enable it.

5. If you have a 2010 or 2011 the AP3 code was not used and this mod will NOT work, this is also true of some 2009 models.

If you don't understand that you should not attempt the mod.

This thread is now exhausted and closed

The PURPLE wire on this connector.

Last edited by donbrew; 10-06-2018 at 11:46 AM.