"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

How to: Manual Liftgate Release

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 06:44 PM

Is it possible to add a key release on the outside of the hatch of a 2010 Chevy HHR if the release button doesn't work and it's hard to open it from the ? I'd have been opening it from the inside before but I cannot hit the spot again on it and I was just wondering if that's a possibility and if so how hard would it be to get a key lock or something installed in the back.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:00 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by JohnSeever
Is it possible to add a key release on the outside of the hatch of a 2010 Chevy HHR if the release button doesn't work and it's hard to open it from the ? I'd have been opening it from the inside before but I cannot hit the spot again on it and I was just wondering if that's a possibility and if so how hard would it be to get a key lock or something installed in the back.
No, but it is fairly easy to replace the pressure switch, if it has failed.

There are drawings of the spot in the Owner Manual, there is a link in my sig.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:04 PM

Sadly, I'm coming into this thread late. My switch just stopped working, and my sub system is blocking me from accessing the rear hatch from inside. After some extensive removal, I can get at it, however, Snoopy photos aren't showing me where to put the screwdriver. Does anyone have a photo?
Old 11-27-2016, 06:12 PM
Administrator

It's in here, pick your year

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gene...-manual-3074/?
Old 02-12-2017, 10:01 AM

I've seen the manual on this and it's... less than entirely helpful. Unfortunately the OP's photos aren't showing, and there's... shockingly... no youtube video I can find! Anyone have a link to a good photo or video tutorial on this? I farted around for half an hour yesterday trying to get this to work.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:16 AM
Administrator

It's in here page 2-13 and page 2-14

http://www.vadengmpp.com/owners-manu...vrolet-HHR.pdf

Manual Liftgate Release
If the liftgate cannot be opened by pressing the switch on the outside handle, the battery may be run down. See Jump Starting on page 5-38.
To manually open the liftgate, do the following:
1. Remove the trim plug, located on the inside of the liftgate near the center.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Smash
I've seen the manual on this and it's... less than entirely helpful. Unfortunately the OP's photos aren't showing, and there's... shockingly... no youtube video I can find! Anyone have a link to a good photo or video tutorial on this? I farted around for half an hour yesterday trying to get this to work.
It's really difficult to see what you're supposed to push on. The hole in the outer plastic is not lined up with the hole in the inner metal. If you have bifocals, it's pretty much impossible to see. You just have to put your screwdriver(with the flat blade horizontal) into the rounded lower left part of the plastic hole, and into the upper right part of the metal hole.

How to: Manual Liftgate Release-hhr-hatch-release.jpg

Then push the screwdriver towards the rear of the car, and when it clicks, manually push the hatch open while still pushing on the screwdriver.

If you are doing this because of a dead battery, you can instead hook up like you're going to jump start, and that should power the rear hatch button.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:20 PM
geg

Hi
My gate stopped opening - electricity does not flow to the lock.
I can open the gate by a screwdriver, but I have to restore the electric lock function.
I think one of the fuse has died. I began to look. I read the instruction, relay No. 18 - the only thing that is more or less similar to the potential object of research.
I doubt because I do not trust my English. In addition, I do not know much about electrical devices. Electricity is a Chinese alphabet for me.
What should I pay attention to first of all in the electric circuit of the auto-ass?

18 Liftgate Release
Attached Images  
Old 04-22-2017, 01:33 PM

In my 2009, there are 9 relays of that same part number. Have you tried swapping with another relay?
Old 04-22-2017, 03:28 PM
Technical Moderator

Fuse #10, be sure NO fuse in #11.

Name:  liftgate.PNG
Views: 3342
Size:  24.2 KB

Quick Reply: How to: Manual Liftgate Release