"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

How To Replace the H13 Headlamps With HID Lamps

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 06:06 AM

Exclamation How To Replace the H13 Headlamps With HID Lamps

Mind you that the lights i am installing are only single beam, not dual!
But email me if you like to know the wireing diagram for dual lights as u just need to add another relay and splice into the other hot wire off the headlamp socket! Its Easy!
YOU WILL NEED:
*HID HEADLAMPS WITH BALAST/STARTERS- $249
*30 AMP INLINE FUSE AND HOLDER - $7
*25FT ROLL OF EACH RED & BLACK WIRE 12AWG- $26 (CAN USE LESS WIRE IF U CAN FIND, I THINK 15 FT WOULD BE PLENTY!)
*30AMP RELAY- $5
*PACK OF 10 FEMALE CONNECTORS- $4
*ELECTRICAL TAPE (TO COVER CONNECTIONS)- $1
*PACK OF 6 INLINE SPLICE CONNECTORS- $5

First You Need to jack the car up by the frame, Then Remove the wheel on the side your starting on. The Plastic Wheel well has to come off, not partially like the owners manual says. (trust me on this, you will not have any hands left by the time u get the first bulb out.) Pull the plastic tabs out along the outside of the wheel well then on the inside as well. There are 3 on each side of the front bumper that u will have to look underneath to see. After this step remove the wheel well, Then Was Your hands as u got wiring, and bulb removal and installation. I found that mounting the balast/starter is easy if u mount it to the fender mount with the already existing 2 screws. Reach up and feel for the light bulb, it is on a T pair of wires,(easier to locate light bulb as seeing is very difficult) Turn bulb counter clockwise while ur looking at the front of the car. It will then be free. Pinch the green conector to remove old bulb. Now the Fun Starts. I heard alot about GM's wire not handling the starting current so I didnt chance it. I ran a 12awg wire (black) to the Inside of the fender of each light on both sides. Then grounded it to the black wire (on frame by radiator right side) I then ran a wire from the positive remote terminal next to the fuse panel to its own 30amp inline fuse (just in case you know?!) to a relay that i found at any local radio shack or auto shop. Must be a 12 volt-30 amp relay. Mine had to be grounded but they sell the type that dont. Anyways i mounted the relay to the side of the fuse panel as this would be easy if i ever had a problem. Next I ran a Positive (red) 12awg wire to both sides of the car under the wheel wells where the light balast/starters are being installed. Now the fun begins. The yellow wire comming off the old headlight socked needs to be spliced (as the way i did this, this is the only factory wire u will touch! No stress on factroy wireing system!) This wire is the Positve witch will Turn the relay on and off. (so u dont have to install a new switch, your auto headlamps will still work and your normal headlamp switch too.) Install bulbs and balast/starters. BE CAREFULL NOT TO TOUCH THE GLASS PORTION OF THE BULBS AS NATURAL OILS ON UR HANDS WILL SHORTEN THE LIFE OF THE BULB. The bulb goes in and gets turned clockwise while looking at the front of the car. Make any connections that the light manufacture says for the light to the balast/starter. Now B4 u put the wheel well in, go turn your lights on and make sure ur light LIGHTS!!!! Installation is the same as Removall, just remember the 7mm bolts that u took out where their location is. Do the Above for the other side.

I Purchased a set that are 35watts and 25,000k. They are Deep Purple And Extreamly bright, looks sharp with them as my car is blue. You should check with you local police dept. as for what the limit is on degress in k that u can have. Usually only 7000k is the max. I just dont care about the police around me! They dont bother! But i Fig. to mention because fines for that are EXPENSIVE!!! Your normal head light is 3000k factory, you will notice a difference when u change no matter how high it is especially if u over 7000k.

PICS COMMING SOON!!!!!! E-MAIL QUESTIONS TO BRDSTRUEBEL@VERIZON.NET
Old 03-13-2007, 07:03 AM

Can't wait to see the Name:  thcamera.gif
Views: 112
Size:  44.3 KB
Old 10-26-2008, 10:13 AM

Great info. What effect does this mod have on the Daytime Running Lights? When I installed HIDs in my Trailblazer I had to install a DRL Killer to eliminate a whole bunch of issues.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:00 PM

I did an HID conversion on my bike and it changed night riding for me. I went with a 50w, 6000K light and it's simply amazing.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by brdstruebel
The Plastic Wheel well has to come off, not partially like the owners manual says.
Yeah, I just changed my blinker...and that alone was kinda tough. Those wheel wells are tight, but I didn't feel like taking it all the way off. Only thing I wondered, is why is there insulation above the wheel well?

Anyways, great thread! But agree with Dayton....pics!!!
Old 08-06-2009, 08:09 AM

It would be so much easier to just remove the front bumper fascia, then you have access to the whole front of the car for snaking wires and so forth. This method is a lot easier than above. Either would work though. You remove the Bumper and then two bolts holf each headlight in place. Same would be for changing out your fog lights to HID's as well.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Vinnyg
Great info. What effect does this mod have on the Daytime Running Lights? When I installed HIDs in my Trailblazer I had to install a DRL Killer to eliminate a whole bunch of issues.
Does not effect the DRL! I have HID's for my headlights as well as my OEM Fog Lights which I added. Super Bright 10000K. They look amazing and I have not been pulled over yet!!!
Old 05-08-2010, 04:29 PM

i got my hid from ddm tuning
55w kit for a good price
Old 05-30-2010, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by NxlKing2304
It would be so much easier to just remove the front bumper fascia, then you have access to the whole front of the car for snaking wires and so forth. This method is a lot easier than above. Either would work though. You remove the Bumper and then two bolts holf each headlight in place. Same would be for changing out your fog lights to HID's as well.
Agreed, did this, much easier with much more room to work-