Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   "How To" Tutorial Library (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/)
-   -   How to save $350.00 + (Thermostat Replacement 2.4L - P0128) (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/how-save-%24350-00-thermostat-replacement-2-4l-p0128-24493/)

firemangeorge 03-22-2012 07:46 AM

To save the coolant. Plus, if you don't drain it, you'll make a big mess when you pop the cover off.

max69power 05-02-2012 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge (Post 628501)
To save the coolant. Plus, if you don't drain it, you'll make a big mess when you pop the cover off.

i agree don't drain the coolant it will only lose about 1/2 of a gallon. I just did mine the inner gasket had broken and was lodged in the opening keeping it partly open
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/5...stat007.th.jpg
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/5...stat006.th.jpg

whopper 05-03-2012 02:13 AM

There are right ways, and wrong ways of doing things. To not drain the coolant properly is definitely the wrong way. Losing a half gallon on coolant on the ground and all over the engine (to smell for the next day or two of driving) is a sign of mechanical incompetance, to say nothing of a total disregard for environmental issues.

Here puppy, lick this mess up.

Jeesh.

bassbase 10-09-2012 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by vtfb68 (Post 589804)
Mine went out last month @ 56,000 miles, It cost me $0.00 becuse of the 100,000 mile powertrain coverage that we all have. I sure hope everybody posting were out of warranty at the time of change. Love those warranties!!
VT

Mine just did this this morning. Already had an appointment to get the oil changed before the Tail if the Dragon cruise. Called and told them to look at this too. On the way home from work however the temp gauge and dic started to register again. Must have came unstuck. Still going to have them fix it. I might as well get everything I can out of my 100,000 mile warranty

Yoostabee 10-21-2012 12:50 PM

I changed mine yesterday,cleared the code at Advance Auto, $183 saved!

Blue_SS 11-04-2012 11:07 AM

I just did mine yesterday at 73K+. It had thrown a code for not getting up temp properly, and having read about this earlier, I went right for it. My old one was just like max69power's above - the inner gasket was stuck in the valve, so it never completely closed.

Access is not good on the SS, and it took me a couple of hours, which I mostly spent trying to find a dropped bolt and a dropped 10mm socket on different occasions. I accessed the upper bolt from above and the lower one from below the car, and that seemed to be pretty straight-forward. After refilling, I had a bit of a bubble in there and it almost overheated at first, but after leaving it to cool for a couple of hours it had pulled in all the coolant from the reservoir. I did that cycle one more time, and all seems well now. The CEL is off, engine temps are normal, I have heat, etc. My total bill was around $50.

whopper 11-04-2012 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Yoostabee (Post 676508)
I changed mine yesterday,cleared the code at Advance Auto, $183 saved!

Tip: to clear that code, you can disconnect the battery for a few minutes (and it won't affect the radio settings etc.), OR just drive it a few times and the code will clear after a few drive cycles. :)

MarkInMLB 11-10-2012 07:28 PM

Just changed out the thermostat on the kids' HHR this morning after sporadically getting the P0128 code over the last several weeks. Thanks to you guys, it was real easy, even for a software engineer!

scuba05477 07-21-2013 11:17 AM

So, why do you have to drain the coolant? I changed my thermostat a while ago and I didn't drain the radiator as described and only lost a cup full. Is it just an environmental thing or a mechanical thing? Curious because I have to do it again tomorrow!

donbrew 07-21-2013 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by scuba05477 (Post 713503)
So, why do you have to drain the coolant? I changed my thermostat a while ago and I didn't drain the radiator as described and only lost a cup full. Is it just an environmental thing or a mechanical thing? Curious because I have to do it again tomorrow!

It's just good practice, however Dexcool is good for150,000 miles. But for the environment, you should "capture and dispose" of the leakage.

scuba05477 07-22-2013 03:26 PM

Changed my thermostat today. Pretty easy really. The second rubber seal had come loose and was restricting movement of the thermostat. Problem solved!

franksb255 08-08-2013 07:26 AM

I've changed my thermostat but its still running in the lower 170's to 168 and eventually flat lines the temp gauge and cuts off the A/C.

When installing the thermostat, does it just sit on top of the housing, or do you have to wedge it down into some grove???

Also, I've done this before when I first got the car, and replaced the temperature sensor. I'm at my wits end.

whopper 08-08-2013 12:08 PM

Howdy Franksb255 - check post # 10 in this thread by Biker Ken - he had the same situation where the temp would not rise to normal operating temps after changing the thermostat - and he had to BURP the system - the post gives all the details.

I can't remember how the thermostat sits in there, but I expect there would be no special trick to it all.

franksb255 08-08-2013 02:46 PM

whopper. Thanks for the reply. I'm going to BURP the system when I get off work. I thought I did a good job refilling the coolant, letting the engine idle for a while and trying to get as much in as possible.

Reading up on Burping, it seems to take a long while, and I also read a good note of jacking the front end up some.

Hopefully this works, otherwise I'm considering replacing the temperature sensor again.

Last night I even thought maybe I had to much water in the water/dex cool ratio, so I drained out as much would come out of the petcok and then refilled with straight dex cool, not 50/50. Still running in the 170s.

firemangeorge 08-08-2013 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by franksb255 (Post 715452)
I've changed my thermostat but its still running in the lower 170's to 168 and eventually flat lines the temp gauge and cuts off the A/C.

When installing the thermostat, does it just sit on top of the housing, or do you have to wedge it down into some grove???

Also, I've done this before when I first got the car, and replaced the temperature sensor. I'm at my wits end.

There was a post a while back about trash stuck in a new thermostat. Seems the owner changed their thermostat. The new one wouldn't let the engine heat up. They took it back out and found a piece of the old thermostat rubber seal wedged in the new thermostat. That "trash" just kept the new thermostat wedged in the open position and wouldn't allow the engine to heat up properly.
Just something you may want to consider.

whopper 08-08-2013 03:45 PM

Good memory there firemangeorge.

whopper 08-08-2013 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by franksb255 (Post 715489)
Last night I even thought maybe I had to much water in the water/dex cool ratio, so I drained out as much would come out of the petcok and then refilled with straight dex cool, not 50/50. Still running in the 170s.

Naw, the mixture being off would not make a change to the temperature like what you are experiencing.

This may help to test the sensor if you have an OHM meter: http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how...r#.UgQEeX9rYv0

I don't know what the actual resistance one should be seeing on the temp sensors the HHRS use. would be handy to have that info posted here.

donbrew 08-08-2013 06:01 PM

Running more than 50/50 DexCool is dangerous!

The new t-stat should have a rubber gasket around the outside, that fits snugly into the t-stat housing then the t-stat cover goes over it. If you are missing that gasket or got it twisted it will cause a problem. If missing you will probably have a puddle under the car.

I'll try to see if Mitchell has a spec.

donbrew 08-08-2013 06:16 PM

I can't seem to find any specs on the ECT. It is probably a thermocouple device, which would put out a voltage in the mV range. Resistance is futile.

franksb255 08-08-2013 06:29 PM

Okay. News. Got a new temperature sensor at Oreilys. Didn't drain the coolant anywhere before replacing the sensor, so I lost about 1/2 -1 quart of coolant. New sensor in, a little dex cool straight into the coolant fill port. Made sure my coolant extra tank was filled to the cool line.

Crank it up and it reaches temperature rather quickly. Drive around the block and it's running at 185 degrees. I'm not touching it anymore and we'll see how it does on the 20 mile drive to work in the morning.

No burping, just pretty sure I had a funked temperature sensor.

franksb255 08-08-2013 06:31 PM

Also, I'm pretty sure I installed the thermostat correctly, it seemed a very simple in and out procedure, I was just at my wits end and was thinking maybe I did it wrong and coolant was slipping past the sides of the thermostat or something.

whopper 08-08-2013 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by franksb255 (Post 715558)
Okay. News. Got a new temperature sensor at Oreilys. Didn't drain the coolant anywhere before replacing the sensor, so I lost about 1/2 -1 quart of coolant. New sensor in, a little dex cool straight into the coolant fill port. Made sure my coolant extra tank was filled to the cool line.

Crank it up and it reaches temperature rather quickly. Drive around the block and it's running at 185 degrees. I'm not touching it anymore and we'll see how it does on the 20 mile drive to work in the morning.

No burping, just pretty sure I had a funked temperature sensor.

ahhh cool (no pun intended - ok, maybe it was). Keep us posted with an update after a few days.

donbrew 08-08-2013 09:01 PM

I will say it again. Full strength DexCool is a very bad thing, it tends to gum things up.

donbrew 08-08-2013 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew (Post 715555)
I can't seem to find any specs on the ECT. It is probably a thermocouple device, which would put out a voltage in the mV range. Resistance is futile.

C'mon, no one? Gotta be a Dr. Who fan somewhere.:corny:

whopper 08-09-2013 12:36 AM

At least we didn't have someone jumping in and advising to drill holes in the thermostat on this one!!!

franksb255 08-09-2013 10:24 AM

Drive to work went great today. Running at 181-190 degrees.

CommonSenseInquisitor 08-23-2013 11:36 AM

Thanks to Smoke Wagon and others who posted about how easy this is. Unlike most of you, I do not like cars and hate car engineers.

Even I was able to do this and it fixed my a/c problem as well! I love twofers!

ezeerider 10-18-2013 04:49 PM

150,000 miles and mine went..... today. $22 thermostat at Advance Auto, didn't drain nothing, took about 15 minutes, topped it off and went for a ride. The temp is hangin right around 187-189 now, whereas before, it was more like 190-192. The CEL hasn't gone out yet, but I'll give it a few more runs to see if it clears up. If not, I'll just unhook the battery for a minute. Real easy fix. I pity the foo that pays $350 to have this done.

badassbowtie 11-24-2013 11:56 PM

I didn't read through all of these posts...but, let me just say that the SS thermostat is a pain in the a$$ to do...I have big hands and arms and changed out my thermostat today...all went well(with some time consumed working around wire harnesses and the high pressure pump) with the exception of the CEL...anyhow there is a lot of stuff in the way to do this on the SS...was almost a 2 hour job with all the crap I had to work around...

Right after the cooling system had some air in it...but, all is well now...195-205

Oldblue 11-25-2013 10:24 AM

Don, "resistance is futile" was from Star Trek Next Generation, to resist assimilation with the Borg, but it could have been taken from Dr. Who

donbrew 11-25-2013 05:43 PM

Those tin cans with toilet plungers went around saying "resistance is Few-Tile".

It took almost 4 months for anybody to notice.

kellytx4 12-17-2013 11:18 AM

Thanks for the info and the pics. At first I thought I had the wrong place identified!

HHR454guy 05-02-2014 05:31 PM

Great thread.....with 36K on the odometer our's still has the dreaded Dex-cool and maybe we should do a thorough flush and use something else before troubles arise. Appreciate seeing everyone's input!

Snoopy 05-02-2014 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by HHR454guy (Post 746325)
Great thread.....with 36K on the odometer our's still has the dreaded Dex-cool and maybe we should do a thorough flush and use something else before troubles arise. Appreciate seeing everyone's input!

WHY ????? Your vehicle was made for DexCool and came with Dexcool. Everyone, except a few, here uses Dexcool.

You're probably worried about the Dexcool and problems of 10 years ago. Not the same conditions, product or vehicles. Don't worry about it unless you have a transient leak which causes problems and keep it topped off.

Oh, and it has been talked about frequently on this forum. If you use the Search field you'll find many posts with references and discussion.

donbrew 05-02-2014 07:49 PM

"DREADED"?????? You mean like "has dreadlocks"?

DexCool has a 5 year lifespan, which is longer than most of the others.

Where in this "Great thread" did you find a criticism of DexCool making you think you should change it to something else?

sleeper 05-02-2014 10:16 PM

DexCool* is not a problem, lack of maintenance at correct specified intervals IS..

Smoke Wagon 05-03-2014 08:18 AM

dex used to attack plastic and rubber, mostly in gaskets and hoses.
sadly, its a lack of trust for me.
anyone who leaves coolant of any kind in their system for more than 4 years is bound to wind up with problems, regardless of brand.
For me, I chose not to trust dex for more than 18 months. Its in my 09 SS and is new(new flush in 3/14) but it will be out when I hit 60k

"lack of maintenance" will cause more damage to components than any product on the market.

MrRiceGuyRJ 09-05-2014 07:53 PM

So grateful for this forum sometimes. I just got this issue yesterday and had it fixed in no time today. Thank you Op for the great instructions and everyone for the feedback. Saved me a ton of time and money

Kookie 09-05-2014 10:16 PM

IDK bout the aftermarket t-stats. Got one at Autozone, failed within 4 months. This time I got the GM dealer t-stat. Double the price @ 50 bucks and we will see how long it lasts. Definitely looks a tad better built and made in Mexico where my car was made, lol.

donbrew 09-06-2014 02:29 PM

Just today while debating a exhaust manifold gasket job I spied a puddle of DexCool on the transmission below the t-stat housing. I decided that was an invitation to forget the gasket job, so I pulled the t-stat out and found that the large rubber gasket (the one that is detachable) was not secured to the t-stat. I know that it was at one time,

Anyway reinstalled it with a new gasket.