Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   "How To" Tutorial Library (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/)
-   -   How to Shell Blast Intake Valves - SS (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/how-shell-blast-intake-valves-ss-56184/)

m_ridzon 01-21-2019 01:28 PM

The walnut blast job was done over Christmas break. Due to holiday events, the project spanned several days. Little bits that had seeped through the valves during my work, had an opportunity to drip down to the crankcase and work their damage for days (the fumes alone will start the degradation; starting the engine finished it). After 10 minutes of running, the problem reared its head. (note that the valve seal was already possibly gunked up some from valve coking, which is the reason I started blasting to begin with; thus, the valve sealing face probably leaking a smidge more than a clean face)

Ohiocruiser 01-21-2019 01:55 PM

So you are telling, that you let the cleaner seat in there for several days?

m_ridzon 01-21-2019 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Ohiocruiser (Post 859186)
So you are telling, that you let the cleaner seat in there for several days?

I did one or two cylinders on a given day. Then came back a few days later and did another cylinder. Finally after about a week, all cylinders were done. So yes, bits of the cleaner seeped through the valves during the work and laid in the crankcase for several days, wreaking havoc. I had no suspicion that any damage was being done.

Silverfox 01-21-2019 04:22 PM

Here's my obvious question ....Why not just change the oil and filter before starting ??

SF

Oldblue 01-21-2019 04:32 PM

Yes, that would have been prudent, with the blast media and all.
but the instructions, evidently did not warn him to do that.

m_ridzon 01-21-2019 04:41 PM

Changing oil would not have changed the outcome. The drips that made it to the crankcase sat in there for several days while I completed the job. Their fumes were enough to start the damage.

Ohiocruiser 01-21-2019 05:00 PM

My question, how much cleaner do you need to get mixed with oil, to get such a dramatic results? If that is the case I would be thinking about replacing the engine. Running it on the mixture that melts rubber, would destroy a much , much more than just a seals.

m_ridzon 01-21-2019 05:14 PM

The engine is fine aside from the rubber/plastic. I have it stripped down to the bare block. Bearings and crank look practically brand new. Cylinders have very, very small ridge at the top. Cams, lifters, rockers all look great. There's a little bit of rubber in the turbo, so I'll tear it apart and throw a rebuild kit in it.

I'm rebuilding this baby and getting it back on the street! And it'll have more spunk than before! Good as new!

Oldblue 01-21-2019 05:21 PM

That’s the spirit! Persevere, an opportunity!

m_ridzon 01-21-2019 05:53 PM

Yup! The initial realization of the problem really clobbered me pretty bad! But after the shock settled, I decided to tear into it and do what had to be done to make it run again!