Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   "How To" Tutorial Library (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/)
-   -   Stock Radio Removal Guide (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/stock-radio-removal-guide-702/)

SoCalHHR 01-24-2006 07:35 PM

Stock Radio Removal Guide

A "How-To" for removing the stock HHR Radios can be found HERE.

(recently moved due to a server crash!)

Hope it helps! :thumb:

captain howdy 01-24-2006 07:44 PM

Why wait, chop into it now! :D :beer:

wheelsee 01-24-2006 10:45 PM

I wanna see this with the kit and a radio installed...

-wc

SoCalHHR 01-24-2006 10:57 PM

To be continued...!

SIHHR 01-25-2006 05:52 PM

Looks good.

jerij 01-25-2006 07:31 PM

Thumbsup Thumbsup!

jerij

adamlowery 01-27-2006 09:07 AM

I found it easier to open the vents and put a hand in each and pull straight out. Felt like it opened easier. Just my 2 cents

captain howdy 01-27-2006 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by adamlowery
I found it easier to open the vents and put a hand in each and pull straight out. Felt like it opened easier. Just my 2 cents

Thats the same way I pulled mine out the day I was playing around with it. It came out real easy without any tools.

SIHHR 01-27-2006 12:03 PM

I'm going to get a pro-fit mount to install next to the radio so I can add on a PSP mount. I'm going to do that soon. These pictures will help becasue the mount is made for the chevy equniox and it is compatable with the HHR and Cobalt as well.

flyhhr 01-30-2006 07:07 PM

the chevy cobalt dash kit will fit all you have to do is cut the top tabs off the kits and it will go in it has the little pocket to hold what ever i have put it in my HHR. you will need a new antenna adapter also for your radio

thanks phillip

wheelsee 01-30-2006 08:48 PM

are there any kits out there that don't have the pocket and just center mount it?

-wC

SoCalHHR 01-30-2006 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by wheelsee
are there any kits out there that don't have the pocket and just center mount it? -wC

No. But you could easily have any decent stereo installation shop build you a custom center mount plate. It shouldn't cost too much. Call around. :thumb:

Lee3333 02-14-2006 09:55 PM

Why dont you want the pocket? It is great for cd's, papers, etc. Possibly could also be used for small gauges, or switch panal, or remote radar detector.

wheelsee 02-14-2006 09:57 PM

I just think it looks tacky and kinda cheap...

-wC

SoCalHHR 02-14-2006 11:20 PM

Gee, every 1 DIN kit for a 2 DIN space I've ever seen has a pocket. :confused:

It's not just on the HHR kit.

wheelsee 02-14-2006 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
Gee, every 1 DIN kit for a 2 DIN space I've ever seen has a pocket. :confused:

It's not just on the HHR kit.

I've always thought it looked cheap and tacky...doesnt mean I haven't used it...I've never seen a reason why they couldnt just center it and close it all in...

-wC

SoCalHHR 02-15-2006 01:34 AM

I've always thought it looked cheap and tacky...doesnt mean I haven't used it...I've never seen a reason why they couldnt just center it and close it all in...

-wC

WC, it would be real easy for any car audio shop to do this for you. Not expensive either. They could make a panel out of pebble-finish dash filler and viola' - instant centered stereo.

I'm making plans right now to install a carbon fiber panel there for switches (for my G-Tech and some interior LED's I'm planning to do).

If you want, I can talk with my carbon guy about making you a full carbon fiber panel to fit the area?

Let me know if that's something you'd want... :thumb:

wheelsee 02-15-2006 01:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
SoCal,

I would like to see pics of how that turns out...my whole thing now is that it's gonna stand out a lot in a car full of brown and beige interiors...where as the setup I had before fit in with a an all black interior...

Attachment 44932

-wC

SoCalHHR 02-15-2006 01:50 AM

SoCal,

I would like to see pics of how that turns out...my whole thing now is that it's gonna stand out a lot in a car full of brown and beige interiors...
-wC

Well, actually the HHR has a lot of black in that area:

http://www.socalhhr.citymax.com/i/Ca...Install_Sm.jpg

The switches up by the dimmer & airbag area, vents & hazard switch, AC knobs & switches below, and lighter & rear wiper controls are all black.

IMO what's bothering most people is that LINE where the dash kit and AC panel meets - it's kind of abrupt. If it bothered me, I would stop by the auto parts store and buy some paint to match. Not much of a job to paint the dash kit before installing it.

wheelsee 02-15-2006 01:58 AM

hmmm that doesnt look as bad as I thought...although all this is moot still because there is no wiring harness out yet and I'm not direct wiring...

-wC

snova031 02-15-2006 02:01 AM

Most older GM's used the din and a half radio, so the dash kit was centered w/ no pocket. But when you've got a double din opening, it looks silly with all of that space and a din radio installed in the middle...looks much better with a pocket there IMO.

SoCalHHR 02-15-2006 02:25 AM

I know diect wiring is not for everyone, but I'm loving it! (I always wire my stereo's direct). No more turn signal chimes, I can now play the stereo with the doors open, no seat belt chime when I unplug before reaching the garage, and best of all - I can play the stereo without having the key in.

Another great feature of direct wiring is providing your stereo with a stronger power source than the ACC line, this can often increase your amps output. (*Note: my Pioneer head has a 30-amp fuse inline already.)

The HHR audio harness pulls ot a good 8 extra inches, so cutting the plugs off leaves you with lots of wire. If you were to sell, or wanted to go back to stock, the plugs can be easily reattached with butt connectors. It's not nearly as bad as it seems.

wheelsee 02-15-2006 02:27 AM

I sometimes picture SoCal as the little devil on my shoulder just telling me to do it...but we'll see...maybe I will just direct wire it for now and then just come back later on and redo it when the harness comes out...

-wC

SoCalHHR 02-15-2006 02:46 AM

Whatever you do - don't listen to me! :D

wheelsee 02-15-2006 02:49 AM

well I'm timid to get things going...but I have no problems doing stuff once I get motivated to do it...

-wC

Skatetheglobe 02-15-2006 04:05 PM

anybody know which wire going to the radio turns on with the key?

Skatetheglobe 02-15-2006 04:33 PM

anybody???

SoCalHHR 02-15-2006 05:17 PM

Email me and I'll send you a wiring diagram... mike@socalhhrs.com

Skatetheglobe 02-15-2006 05:20 PM

Thanks Mike but I searched and found Monster posted it in another post..Here it is if anyone needs it.

I've posted the schematics of the radio and amp wiring here:

http://n8zcc.com/pics/HHR/Radio.gif
http://n8zcc.com/pics/HHR/Audio_Amp.gif

Thanks Monster

SoCalHHR 02-15-2006 05:22 PM

I have a little better schematic than that (if you want it).
Mine is much easier to read.

Skatetheglobe 02-15-2006 08:45 PM

OK I ran into a problem.I found the acc wire but its only hot after it runs through the radio.Meaning with the harness unplugged it has no power.I hooked up my remote wire for my amp but the power goes on and off when you open the doors.Even with the keys out of the ignition.Can anyone help?

SoCalHHR 02-15-2006 10:41 PM

Yeah, email me and I'll send you my schematic! :D

snova031 02-16-2006 12:11 AM

I haven't messed with the harness yet but new GM's don't have an accessory behind the radio. (GM data module)

You can do what I did for my accessory for my computer, tap into the ignition harness for accessory-

http://www.directechs.com/timages/acc_6041.jpg

It's the brown wire at the ign. harness

SoCalHHR 02-16-2006 12:30 AM

There you go! :thumb:

Skatetheglobe 02-16-2006 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by snova031
I haven't messed with the harness yet but new GM's don't have an accessory behind the radio. (GM data module)

You can do what I did for my accessory for my computer, tap into the ignition harness for accessory-

http://www.directechs.com/timages/acc_6041.jpg

It's the brown wire at the ign. harness

Nice! Thanks alot for the info..

monster5601 02-16-2006 08:57 AM

I have a little better schematic than that (if you want it).
Mine is much easier to read.

Right click on the images and save them to your machine. Then view the schematics with your favorite viewer, this way you will avoid the compression and resizing the browsers uses to display the schematic.

SoCalHHR 02-16-2006 10:18 AM

That's not what I meant. :D I actually designed my schematics and they are easy for the "layman" to read and understand. There was nothing wrong with yours at all. :thumb:

captain howdy 02-16-2006 10:22 AM

I actually designed my schematics and they are easy for the "layman" to read and understand.

You mean there are people out there that couldn't read Monster5601s schematics? :roll: :poke: :D Some people must have slept through technology class. ;) You are taught that stuff starting in elementary school going all the way up through high school. :confused:

Skatetheglobe 02-16-2006 10:31 AM

I was forced to try and figure it out when I wire on the firewall of my 74' Nova corroded through.I still don't understand but whatever..

Skatetheglobe 02-16-2006 10:33 AM

SoCal I sent you an email about that schematic you have.It would still be handy to have if its easier to understand.