"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Temporary Solution for non-working key fobs

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 12:20 PM

Temporary Solution for non-working key fobs

This has probably been talked to death over the years and I saw one or two threads in the search that gave me the idea as I'm not mechanical by any stretch of the imagination BUT I do have a little common sense!

I have a 2008 HHR 2LT with 22K miles on it and remote start.

My key fobs stopped working at the same time so I called the dealer for sh*ts and giggles to see what new fobs cost there. $96.00 EACH + $50.00 for programming. After picking up my jaw up from the floor (with a few bruises from where it hit) I ordered a couple from E-Bay (checked the return policy carefully!) for $27.00 total and will have the dealer program them when they arrive but getting back to the point of all this........

I opened both cases and found that the battery holder had broken loose from the board (same thing on both). I took a little toilet paper, wadded it up, taped it to the inside of the front cover where it would be over the battery holder, placed the battery holder in position so that all three contacts were touching where they were supposed to, closed the case and "Voila"! Two temporarily working key fobs.

I had to tape the case closed on one because I went a little thick on the TP but they work, oh, and it took me a few tries to get the battery holder in the right place but 15 minutes and a little patience is all it took.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:40 PM
Platinum Member

Yup, it has been discussed before. Rather than spend the $'s on the replacements and the subsequent programming, why not just re-solder the bad battery hold downs and be done with it.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:48 PM

Unfortunately, I don't have the skills or equipment to solder and afraid I might melt the board if I did........I will send the old ones out to be repaired after I have all 4 programmed then I'll have backups........probably overkill, but, as the saying goes, what the hell.........
Old 09-15-2014, 01:06 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds like a plan. :)

Soldering is a good skill to have for vehicle maintenance as soldered joints are much better in many situations than the butt splices that are crimped in place. Check out youtube for some great videos on learning to solder - it's kinda fun, it's cheap, and isn't that hard a skill to pick up.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:24 PM
Technical Moderator

I just found the "ultimate" solution while scanning the NAPA website. They now are offering a 3 button fob with a programming module for about $45. If is does work I see no reason that it would not work for additional fobs, or additional cars for that matter. You could sell the module, in other words.

Part #7306953, If NAPA can get it other places should be able to, probably a Dorman sourced item.

Funny thing is; they sell a 3 button fob for $70 and a 4 button fob for $90. They still need to be programmed, and the only difference is the number of buttons (the circuit boards are identical).
Old 09-15-2014, 06:04 PM

That's interesting Donbrew, I'll check it out as soon as I get a chance but it makes me wonder if these programmers might screw up our sensitive little trucklets! Plus, as you mentioned, why would they sell a 4 button by itself with no programmer for $90.00 when you get the set for $45.00 (granted, it's 3 button!) and I wonder if the programmer would program a 4 button fob........or fobs from E-Bay?
Old 09-15-2014, 06:14 PM

I'm confused. Went to napa website and the part shows available for 07 hhr, but not for the 06 hhr or 08 malibu. Maybe they don't realize they are the same. Your right about the boards being the same. At least the factory ones are. I am using a fob from a cobalt on the 06 and it has a trunk release button. Was going to put the hhr pad on it, but I keep thinking maybe I could rig up a tailgate release for that button. LOL. Anyway that's a slick little module, they are going to put my Tech II out of business.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:23 PM

I'm not the best at soldering either but I have fixed both of mine just fine and you could buy a soldering iron for less than the ebay price.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:22 AM
Technical Moderator

The 2 different fobs have identical circuit boards, the only difference is the keypad and the top cover.

The programming involved is really only telling the BCM the secret number embedded in the fob. Actually, I think it can be done with a good scantool (NOT scanner) and the proper training.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:59 PM

Soldering these is not all that hard. You don't really even need to add new solder. You can get a pen type soldering iron from Harbor Freight for $4. Get it hot and simply touch the base where the battery holder is loose. The heat draws the existing solder back through and secures the holder bracket.

Quick Reply: Temporary Solution for non-working key fobs