Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Introductions (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/introductions-48/)
-   -   2.2 or 2.4 Best? I'm still searching for "MY" 2.4 (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/introductions-48/2-2-2-4-best-im-still-searching-my-2-4-a-59056/)

IneedanHHR 06-28-2017 06:01 PM

2.2 or 2.4 Best? I'm still searching for "MY" 2.4

I'm coming to the point of having to accept I'm not going to find a 2.4 in the area I need with the loan I'm approved for.
I haven't ever even looked at a 2.2 because I've been drawn to the 2.4 2lt from the first time I saw one.
I'd even be very happy with a panel LS or a SS.
But other than a 2.2 there is nothing affordable, for my situation, in my area.
So, I'm curious, IF you had to make a choice again would you be struggling between 2.2 or 2.4?
Or would one choice be clear to you?

I've been waiting for over a year and I just want to be "doing something to MY HHR today" rather than just reading what you all have been doing to yours.
Don't misunderstand me, I really do like reading your posts and looking at your pictures. I would just like to be sharing mine with you, too.

Thanks for reading,
Sher

donbrew 06-28-2017 06:28 PM

I wouldn't be picky. I've had 2.2s. LS should be less money than LT or 2LT, SS a lot more.

Many used LTs have most of the options of 2LT. Lots of them have running boards and roofracks, some even have moonroofs; those are mostly the difference, plus the 2.4.

IneedanHHR 06-28-2017 06:36 PM

Is there a difference in repair costs?

Originally Posted by donbrew (Post 826247)
I wouldn't be picky. I've had 2.2s. LS should be less money than LT or 2LT, SS a lot more.

Many used LTs have most of the options of 2LT. Lots of them have running boards and roofracks, some even have moonroofs; those are mostly the difference, plus the 2.4.

Or does it make much of a difference?

Conax 06-28-2017 11:25 PM

It makes a difference if you're a racy driver or carry a lot of people or stuff in your HHR.
If you just need a ride to work, by yourself, I'd say the difference isn't that big of a deal.
It's all about your needs from the car, really.
My 2.2 carries me and sometimes one passenger, accelerates up the on-ramps fine at about 2/3 to 3/4 throttle and runs relaxed on the freeway. I catch it speeding so much I have been using the cruise control to avoid tickets.

SuKi 06-29-2017 02:21 AM

I have the 2.2, and it fits my needs. Daily driver to work, long road trips with passenger dogs and luggage, and haul the occasional trailer or boat. None of that for me needs a ton of get up and go. But I couldn't speak to the difference in driving the 2.4.

If you do want a 2.4 in your price range, maybe consider searching a little farther away. An hour or two travel, possibly more, to get exactly what your looking for in your price range is worth the drive to me.

Repair costs between the 2.2 and 2.4 should be about equal across the board.

firemangeorge 06-29-2017 06:07 AM

One difference to note between the HHR 2.2 and 2.4 as far as mechanicals.
All 2.4's will have VVT. So they will have the CP actuator solenoids that have shown to have a higher than usual failure rate.
The earlier 2.2's (non Flexfuel) did not have the VVT. The later 2.2's, 2009 and up, were Flexfuel capable. Those will have VVT and thus the actuator solenoids.

Oldblue 06-29-2017 07:22 AM

I won't go through all about the difference's , but Oldblue is a 2.2, runs strong, handles long trips, doesn't have VVT. Best car I've had in 47 years of driving.

solman98 06-29-2017 07:41 AM

Never had an issue with the 2.2, and with the 5 speed performance was neck in neck with the 2.4 auto.

aradmahogany 06-29-2017 01:13 PM

Gregg is a 2.4 auto; yes I had to replace the solenoids but they were very easy and hassle free since. Gregg travels over 70 miles a day and does so without issue. All I have replaced is what is expected of an HHR, plus the Alternator.

Silverfox 06-29-2017 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by solman98 (Post 826275)
Never had an issue with the 2.2, and with the 5 speed performance was neck in neck with the 2.4 auto.

I've recently owned the 2010 & 2011 ...2.2L and the 2.4L Auto Trans. so I have had quite a bit of time to compare them.

The 2.4L had a slight edge up to 60 mph just from a "seat of the pants" comparison, but when I started using 92 Octane gas in the 2.4L and gave it a little time while pushing the acceleration so it could adjust to the fuel there was a considerable difference in the two. Both were completely stock.
I also have owned 7 different 2.4L HHR's and all with low mileage. I must say I have noticed slight differences in Stock engine overall performance from car to car.
Both were 1LT models with 16" tires. Both had the same tire pressures. Both had the same load. Both had the same mileage approx. 24,000 miles.
The main difference I noticed was the 2.2L drive train has a different feel and sound when accelerating. It is a softer overall sound.

I prefer the 2.4L myself but they sold more 2.2L HHR's.

As a side note, I add Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner for 2 tanks full each time I buy a used HHR. They all ended up with a smooth quite idle.

Hope this helps.

Silverfox

Greybeard999 06-29-2017 08:11 PM

2.4L .... Nuf said.

aradmahogany 06-29-2017 08:12 PM

2.4 definitely has more grunt. I run 93 octane. Love the sound and performance

IneedanHHR 06-30-2017 02:22 PM

Is this 2008 SS the one? I sure hope so!

2 Attachment(s)
He's holding it for a lady until 3:30, then it should be mine.

I don't know much, he bought it at an auction.
It's $6000 which includes tax, title and dealer fees.
This is exactly how much I have.
VIN is: 3gnca63x78s697779

I think it has 140k miles, automatic, only thing missing are roof rails

https://www.kbb.com/chevrolet/hhr/20...icetype=retail

I have doctor appt in 15 minutes, I will be back in a few hours to see if anyone has any ideas or comments.
Thanks everyone

RJ_RS_SS_350 06-30-2017 06:38 PM

Sounds like a heck of a deal, that is, if it doesn't have a serious problem.

IneedanHHR 06-30-2017 06:39 PM

Okay, paid $500 down because the loan office was closed and I didn't want this disappearing like the others. So this one is MINE!
I'm reading the manual because I know very little about the differences between the SS and the other HHRs, but by Monday morning I'll know everything. :)
I have never even looked at a SS since I was focused on the 2.4 2lt.
But, this caught my eye and I thought it was a 2.4, it has all of the same options and more.

I thank everyone who has helped get me this far, OldBlue has been very cool helping me.
I'm so excited, I can't wait until Monday, I'm sure I will go visit it this weekend.

By the way...I did try taking pictures of the tag in the glove box, but I don't think what I found is what I was supposed to be looking for.

RJ_RS_SS_350 06-30-2017 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by IneedanHHR (Post 826379)
Okay, paid $500 down because the loan office was closed and I didn't want this disappearing like the others. So this one is MINE!
I'm reading the manual because I know very little about the differences between the SS and the other HHRs, but by Monday morning I'll know everything. :)
But, this caught my eye and I thought it was a 2.4, it has all of the same options and more.

I thank everyone who has helped get me this far, OldBlue has been very cool helping me.
I'm so excited, I can't wait until Monday, I'm sure I will go visit it this weekend.

By the way...I did try taking pictures of the tag in the glove box, but I don't think what I found is what I was supposed to be looking for.

Congrats!! Get us some pics when you can! You should count on getting a TTR front engine mount ASAP, if it hasn't already been upgraded.

Oldblue 06-30-2017 06:51 PM

It's a nice wee beasty, 2.0 Turbocharged! Awesome
Congratulations!

firemangeorge 06-30-2017 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by IneedanHHR (Post 826379)

Above. ^^^
Well..........not exactly. Read up on it. The SS is a beast of it's own. About all it shares with the regular HHR's is the sheet metal and automatic trans. Just about everything else is SS specific.
Engine, interior, front and rear bumper covers, grille, side skirts, rear spoiler, steering wheel, suspension, brakes, rims, tires etc., are all unique to the SS.

IneedanHHR 07-01-2017 11:18 PM

I went to check out the TTR mount and there are...

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350 (Post 826381)
Congrats!! Get us some pics when you can! You should count on getting a TTR front engine mount ASAP, if it hasn't already been upgraded.

There are a number of them and some on on sale (like crazy) and I wouldn't know which one to pick. Help?
Also, I posted earlier that I wasn't able to get a pic of the tag in the glovebox that many of you post about.
The box only opened enough for me to see it was in there.
Is there a special trick? I've also seen posts questioning others if their SS was original. How will I know that mine is original?
I have so many questions, but I don't want to bother anyone.
Is there a video or book that I can purchase to learn more about my SS?
I'm reading all the SS posts, since this was a new way of thinking for me, and I see so many codes and parts that I can't follow them all.
I know some things that I want, but I need to prioritize, and I'm trying to figure out where to start shopping and for what?
I want the visors over my windows, the Chevy script, maybe a hood scoop, certainly led lights everywhere, good floor mats (the original ones are tattered, windows tinted and I'd like the rear to sit up higher.
I REALLY want to install a camera that covers both the front and the back and I'd like it to be in the dash where the radio is.Have any of you done this? I haven't read anything in the posts so far. But, I'm not even 1/4 of the way through them.

These are all fluff, so I need to know what's necessary.
What are the most important things to check out?
I'll have better pics on Monday after I sign the papers, get my title and put my plates are on.
I've made an album so there a few more pictures there.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/memb...5059186-33904/
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/memb...5229369-33905/
I'm still trying to believe this is really happening.

firemangeorge 07-01-2017 11:34 PM

That's a real SS.

IneedanHHR 07-01-2017 11:35 PM

But,

Originally Posted by firemangeorge (Post 826463)
That's a real SS.

How will I know that mine is?

firemangeorge 07-01-2017 11:54 PM

I just told you it was.
I can tell from your pictures that it has all the correct parts.

Not convinced. Do a VIN search.

Or, easy as looking at that glovebox sticker. It will have FE5 which is the code for the SS suspension package.
FE5 was only available on the SS.

RJ_RS_SS_350 07-02-2017 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge (Post 826465)
I just told you it was.

Or, easy as looking at that glovebox sticker. It will have FE5 which is the code for the SS suspension package.

And LNF which designates the 2.0 turbocharged.

Relax, take a breath, we'll help you through this.
All the cosmetic mods you mentioned, do as you see fit.

I'm more performance minded, so for that I recommend the TTR front engine mount first. It will greatly reduce wheel hop and torque steer, making the car safer to drive aggressively.

If the engine and turbo check out to be healthy, a tune would be another great performance mod. If you go for a tune, you probably should upgrade the charge piping and intercooler. If stock tune is good enough, skip the tune.

The TTR rear sway bar would be great, after one or both of the above.

I think TTR also makes inserts for the transaxle mounts, that would go well with the engine mount.

IneedanHHR 07-02-2017 12:27 AM

I thought you meant the picture of yours was real.

Originally Posted by firemangeorge (Post 826465)
I just told you it was.

I CAN'T SEE the glovebox sticker.
It's way in the back, behind where the box itself sits.

IneedanHHR 07-02-2017 12:29 AM

I'm having a problem picking the right motor mount to order. TTR offers many, some are on sale right now. It would be nice if mine was on sale. :)

SuKi 07-02-2017 01:59 AM

Contact Aaron at turbo Tech racing. Hell hook you up with everything specific to your car. If you do a search on here for Turbo Tech racing, his posts will show up and you can send him a PM. Or you can e mail turbo Tech racing directly. It should go to him. That's how I got into contact with him about my rear anti sway bar.

IneedanHHR 07-02-2017 02:20 AM

Cool! I will certainly contact him

Originally Posted by SuKi (Post 826471)
Contact Aaron at turbo Tech racing. Hell hook you up with everything specific to your car. If you do a search on here for Turbo Tech racing, his posts will show up and you can send him a PM. Or you can e mail turbo Tech racing directly. It should go to him. That's how I got into contact with him about my rear anti sway bar.

I haven't been too interested in getting to know my vehicles in over 40 years. Not since I lost my 69 GTO in a bad decision.
I really want to do everything right with my SS and understand how to do things to it to make it mine.

firemangeorge 07-02-2017 06:16 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by IneedanHHR (Post 826469)
I CAN'T SEE the glovebox sticker.
It's way in the back, behind where the box itself sits.

As stated before. RELAX. Take a breath.

Now. The RPO sticker in the glovebox should be on the door itself. Then just look for the codes that designate that it's a real SS.
FE5= SS suspension
LNF= 2.0l turbo charged engine
1SS= Package

Attachment 22008

Attachment 22009

RJ_RS_SS_350 07-02-2017 09:57 AM

Here is the TTR page for HHR.

HHR - Turbo Tech Racing

Click on the drivetrain button for the engine mount. You can find the sway bar by clicking on the suspension button.

RJ_RS_SS_350 07-02-2017 10:06 AM

You can PM Aaron here
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/priv...o=newpm&u=4515

I think these are the trans mount inserts, but they are not on the HHR page, but on their cobalt drivetrain page, so ask Aaron.
Turbo Tech Racing Transmission Race Mounts Chevrolet Cobalt 05-07 / Saturn Redline 05-07 2.0L - Drivetrain

EDIT: Those trans mounts also say for manual trans. This might be a mistake, so definitely ask Aaron, if you are interested in them. Or he can give you a link to the correct ones.

IneedanHHR 07-02-2017 10:44 AM

I didn't see a sticker like that, only this one

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by firemangeorge (Post 826475)
As stated before. RELAX. Take a breath.

Now. The RPO sticker in the glovebox should be on the door itself. Then just look for the codes that designate that it's a real SS.
FE5= SS suspension
LNF= 2.0l turbo charged engine
1SS= Package

Attachment 22008

Attachment 22009

It may have been that I overlooked it

RJ_RS_SS_350 07-02-2017 11:06 AM

Ok, that's behind the glovebox. Pan down, look at the actual glovebox door itself.

firemangeorge 07-02-2017 11:10 AM

Post #28 I stated: "The RPO sticker in the glovebox should be on the door itself.

Your picture shows a sticker behind the glovebox.(not in the glovebox)
From the Delphi name on it, I think that's a sticker for the HVAC system.

aradmahogany 07-02-2017 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by IneedanHHR (Post 826479)
It may have been that I overlooked it

that's the blower motor lol

IneedanHHR 07-02-2017 12:06 PM

Okay guys, this was my first try! Glad to give you a laugh ;)

Originally Posted by aradmahogany (Post 826482)
that's the blower motor lol

But, just wait.
I'll get there eventually.
Although I may be years ahead of you overall,
You're all years ahead of me on HHR knowledge.

How I missed the sticker, I'm not sure.
I know they're not open today,
but I'll certainly get a pic of the right sticker tomorrow.

I do appreciate ALL your posts,
even when I sense your impatience
with my ignorance of everything HHR SS.
I learn something new with each post.

IneedanHHR 07-02-2017 12:09 PM

I get where you meant, BUT

Originally Posted by firemangeorge (Post 826481)
Post #28 I stated: "The RPO sticker in the glovebox should be on the door itself.

Your picture shows a sticker behind the glovebox.(not in the glovebox)
From the Delphi name on it, I think that's a sticker for the HVAC system.

I had taken those pictures the first day I found the HHR and I haven't had access to the inside of the vehicle since that day. I will get it right tomorrow. :)

Oldblue 07-02-2017 12:26 PM

Don't order anything until we see pictures of under the car at the rear and under the hood on passengers side of the engine, it may already have a TTR engine mount.

donbrew 07-02-2017 12:31 PM

The HHR is listed here as a "light truck".
digit 5/6 a6-a0 denotes SS, digit 8 X denotes 2.0L LNF TURBO.
VIN decoder:https://service.gm.com/dealerworld/v...-09%20r1.1.pdf

RJ_RS_SS_350 07-02-2017 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by IneedanHHR (Post 826484)
I had taken those pictures the first day I found the HHR and I haven't had access to the inside of the vehicle since that day. I will get it right tomorrow. :)

Ahhh, it's all making sense now, forgot that don't have it just yet. :thumb:

Do you have the VIN? The 8th digit should be an "X"

Just looked at your earlier post, confirmed "X" it's certainly a real SS!

Oldblue 07-02-2017 12:38 PM

I just tried to check the vin, it shows an error in the number
Comprehensive Chevrolet, Saturn, GMC, Hummer, Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Geo, Dodge, Plymouth, Jeep, Chrysler, Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Truck, Mercedes VIN Decoder