Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

Another New Oregon Member

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 02:30 PM

Another New Oregon Member

So, a week ago my wife ran over Bambi on her way home. She totaled her car but did not get hurt, Bambi gets up after a few minutes, and walks away. I make a Facebook post about the incident and a gal I've known for some 47-years says she has a car they're trying to sell. It's a 2007 HHR LT with about 129,500 miles. She bought it new and has all the receipts for it. We go look at it and it's in really good shape. The only thing it's missing is the sunroof. She's asking $4k, but offers to come down to $3,800 because the radio has issues. So, we tell her we'll have to wait until we hear from the bank before we can move forward and she's fine with that.

The car my wife wrecked had a Kelly Blue Book value (before she wrecked it) of $295. Last Wednesday the insurance company offers her $2753 for the junk they hauled off. We'll put about $2,500 back onto the loan leaving a balance of $1,300 owed on the new to her HHR. Very cool!

Don't have any pics yet, but it's maroon. So far the wife really likes it, and it far more comfortable to ride in than her old one. Anyway, just thought I'd say hello and tell the story.

Anon
Old 11-27-2017, 02:38 PM
Technical Moderator

Welcome!

Without hearing anything more, I bet you just need some new speakers.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:44 PM

Been doing some reading on the issue, and that seems the likely answer.

It's been sitting for most of the last year, so it goes in Wednesday for a complete fluid change, radiator flush, etc. I do that with all my new vehicles anyway. Air & cabin filters get done as well.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:10 PM
Technical Moderator

DEX-COOL only!!!!!!!
Don't flush the ATF unless it was used as a taxicab.
note the link in my sig for an Owner Manual. The HHR is NOT the same as any of your previous cars.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Do not flush the rad either! Simply drain and refill with 50/50 Dexcool, you might replace the thermostat to, AC Delco 131-158 only, please!

2007 CHEVROLET HHR 2.2L L4 Thermostat | RockAuto
Old 11-27-2017, 05:31 PM

I saw in the manual (which came with the car) the Dex-Cool requirement. The reason for the radiator flush (instead of just a drain & fill) is due to a rust colored coolant currently in there. Not sure of the current mix, but the rust coloring makes me want to ensure the system is properly cleaned before filling.

As for the ATF, we had a Malibu with a sealed transmission. The HHR drives & shifts fine, so there's no reason to suspect problems.

The temp gauge never reaches the half-way mark, and remains just over the 1/4 mark.

I'm not unaccustomed to vehicles with particular requirements. The statement above: "The HHR is NOT the same as any of your previous cars" is very broad and filled with assumptions. That said, I didn't clarify my intentions and also spoke broadly, probably leading @donbrew to make those assumptions.

Last edited by anonEmouse; 11-27-2017 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 11-27-2017, 05:42 PM
Administrator

After all these years of advising HHR owners , we’re just trying to save you time and money, and aggravation.
If it’s a rusty crude colour to the coolant then yes , simply run clear water through until it’s clear water coming out the drain spigot.
The GM direction for the automatic transmission is to not flush it, just drain and refill
Old 11-27-2017, 05:44 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site.

Dexcool is an orangish, red color. Some people mistake it for being rusty.
The HHR engine is aluminum. Not much in the cooling system that can rust.
Just saying.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:14 PM
Technical Moderator

When people indicate that they have been around for a while they almost always think the last improvement made in automotive engineering occurred in 1990.

That large black box under the hood is not the battery. Almost all of the "switches" in an HHR are actually sensors. Almost everything is controlled by the scary computers, etc.

We deal with those everyday! Twice, so far today.

I don't know where rust could come from in the coolant. Most chemical flushes are harmful to the alloys in the motor. GM recommends against it, unless specifically labelled. DexCool has a 5 year life, including on the shelf.

Not a sealed transmission. Just no need to be checking the fluid level or changing it regularly.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:15 PM
Platinum Member

Ditto on what they have already said .

I'd pass on the flush (like already stated, a lot of people think it's rusty when it's just the Dexcool itself), and just do drain, flush with water, and refill with Dexcool. The trans fluid is likely just fine - there is no requirement to change it like in the olden days, unless it has been subjected to SEVERE service, which is very unlikely considering the history.

I'd have the battery tested (under the floor in the rear left corner) - these cars do not like a battery that is low on capacity.

We have a few articles here on replacing/testing the speakers - they don't last forever it seems.

Throw up a picture or two when you can - we LOVE pictures. :)

Best of luck with the maroon HHR.

and download a copy of the owners manual as noted in Donbrews posts - very handy to have on your pc or on the phones.

Quick Reply: Another New Oregon Member