Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

Hello from the Bronx

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 10:28 AM

Hello from the Bronx

Hey, everyone:

New HHR owner here--bone stock 2007 LT, 2.4. LOVE the car, and I'm looking forward to a slow but steady N/A build in the coming years. For now, I'm planning to run the car at two ECTA land speed events--Wilmington, OH in late April and Loring, ME in July. All I'll be doing for those runs is upgrading to V-rated tires (required) and getting an HP Tune to take the top-end limiter off and smooth out the power curve. I'll be running the car in the F/PRO class (123-183 c.i./2.01 to 3.00 liter unblown production cars), and I'm just looking to have some fun and see what this little four-banger can do. I come from a V-8 background, but I've really gotten interested in the Ecotec--it seems like a really amazing power plant. Anyone know where I can get exploded diagrams and other detailed info about the engine? Should I just spring for the $180 factory service manual, or is there other literature out there? I've also joined the Ecotec forum, which obviously has a ton of info, too. So I'll keep nosing around. I'll also try to get some photos up at some point--right now, just picture a plain old stock 2007 HHR, and you'll be in the right ballpark...
Old 01-11-2013, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site.

Good luck on your land speed run attempts. One thing to overcome will be the aerodynamics. These cars turn in to a "brick" at speeds over 120.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:08 PM

Welcome to the site.. I just got my 2011 and love it! Drop aline when you head through Maine, Im next to Bangor, You will be taking 95 N to Loring! Youll need a coffee break by then lol

Rich
Old 01-11-2013, 04:26 PM

Fireman: If I can get it to 120 with just a tune on the stock motor, I'll be happy... :-) But I think the HHR has a CD of about .35, which isn't really horrible. In any case, I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes...
Old 01-11-2013, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Radco
Welcome to the site.. I just got my 2011 and love it! Drop aline when you head through Maine, Im next to Bangor, You will be taking 95 N to Loring! Youll need a coffee break by then lol

Rich
LOL...my wife's actually a Mainer, and we have a place in Camden. So I'll at least get to cut the insane north-south drive in Maine in half (or thirds). Have you ever thought of going to Loring for the speed trials? If nothing else, it's a chance to just stand on the gas with no cops around... :-)
Old 01-11-2013, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Perkinson
LOL...my wife's actually a Mainer, and we have a place in Camden. So I'll at least get to cut the insane north-south drive in Maine in half (or thirds). Have you ever thought of going to Loring for the speed trials? If nothing else, it's a chance to just stand on the gas with no cops around... :-)
Gary, I have been thinking of the speed trials, missed the last one,, Some buddies have been wanting me to go,, Maybe this year :).. I have a house in Searsport,well the ex does now lol. Now in Dedham near Bar Harbor.. Will see how it goes and hopefully Ill make the trials .. Now college is done for the kids, the Exs name is off all I own I havbe a few extra $$$ :) to spend on me ! Catch you later
Rich
Old 01-11-2013, 11:05 PM

Welcome to the forum.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:41 PM

Welcome to the site!! Enjoy your new HHR!
Old 01-12-2013, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Radco
Now college is done for the kids, the Exs name is off all I own I havbe a few extra $$$ :) to spend on me!
Rich
Well, I think that has "land speed racing" written all over it...
Old 01-12-2013, 11:02 PM
Platinum Member

Here's the famous So-Cal Speedster, was doing well over 200mph when it tried to fly..

Has the 2.0 w/ excess of 1000 hp.... & I believe another attempt At the Land speed record is planned.
Attached Images