Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

HI all, I'm a newbie on here

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 12:41 PM

HI all, I'm a newbie on here

I have a 2007 with about 80,000 miles on it. We got it brand new and have never had one issue. But on Sunday, the check engine light came on and has been on solid since then. I took it to autozone and they said the P0442 code is what is wrong. They said the likely culprit is a loose gas cap. I have taken the cap off and put it back on but the light is still on. Does anyone have any idea on how long the light will stay on if it is just the cap is loose? Also if it is not the cap being loose, should I replace the cap, before going on to the next troubleshooting step which is a leaking emission system?
Old 04-30-2013, 01:26 PM

It takes a few startup cycles to reset the CEL. Sometimes that means cold start to warm up = startup cycle.

Give it some time before you start throwing money at it, then start with a new cap.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:28 PM

Hello lltacoma and welcome aboard!!!

Autozone is correct on the code, it probably is from a gas cap not being tighten properly. The GM gas cap on the HHR is one that requires you turn it until you hear atleast 3 clicks - the new system on current GM cars is one click and it stops and a much better system in my opinion. If the car is not running abnormally I would hold off on going to a shop. Unfortunately, it will take 40 drive cycles before it will reset itself. That is NOT to be confused with starting the motor and shutting it off repeatedly, as that WILL NOT WORK! The other option of going to a dealership to have them clear the code will cost you 100-150 which isn't worth it. I hope this helps! :) and for what it's worth, I work at a Chevrolet dealership and asked one of our top mechanics what the code was and what his advise would be. So this advice is legit :)
Old 04-30-2013, 03:18 PM

Gas Cap

I learned about the gas cap thing with my 1996 S-10 PU. The check engine light came on at 350+ miles on the odometer I immediately phoned the dealer.

He said open and tighten the gas cap and it should go out in a day or so.

He was correct and I never fail to tighten the gas cap until it clicks several times. But you may need a new cap if the light doesn't go out soon.

Boydie

Originally Posted by lltacoma
I have a 2007 with about 80,000 miles on it. We got it brand new and have never had one issue. But on Sunday, the check engine light came on and has been on solid since then. I took it to autozone and they said the P0442 code is what is wrong. They said the likely culprit is a loose gas cap. I have taken the cap off and put it back on but the light is still on. Does anyone have any idea on how long the light will stay on if it is just the cap is loose? Also if it is not the cap being loose, should I replace the cap, before going on to the next troubleshooting step which is a leaking emission system?