Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

Hi Ya'll

Old 04-19-2016, 11:58 PM

Hi Ya'll

Well this a bit awkward... Hi, I'm a Ford & truck gal & I am once again driving a Chevy. (tease me if ya want) This is my 3rd Chevy... first was a 92 Metro & second was a 92/3 S10. I'm pretty sure my parents were a bit amused because the know how much I dislike this maker.

We traded our failing PT in when we realized it wouldn't last until the end of the loan without costing us more than what we had left on the loan! Drove our PT in Monday at noon & Drove out in an 11 HHR LT at 3:15. I can't say I was overly pleased that we couldn't get the Fusion or Ranger they had on the lot but this is MUCH better than that 07 PT! I don't feel like I'm going to end up dying from a deer or another driver... (Lots of people not paying attention up here)

I'm actually impressed by the comfort & room inside this car. I feel a lot more secure and it handles nice on the back roads. Loving the MPG. Did I mention the room in it? I can haul horse tack again without putting the top down, when we move again I can actually haul a large amount! I will feel safe letting my cat out of my lap when in the car. (lead trained due to his size but was scared he would go after the soft top in car) My complaint on this one... It's an automatic. :/ That is the one thing I wish I could change on our car. I can get past driving a bowtie.. again, but I miss driving a stick.

We both joined to look at what all this site has to offer, which is a LOT! Didn't realize these had such a huge following, which is great!

My major question: How is handling in the winter?

Pictured: Our 2011 HHR LT 2.2L 4 Cyl with under 80k miles next to our trade in death-trap.
Attached Thumbnails Hi Ya'll-002016-04-18-14.22.20.jpg  
Old 04-20-2016, 01:55 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome and congrats on the HHR.

Handling in the winter: I run 4 snow tires on a second set of rims - and they work well. The Front Wheel Drive is great in the snow and ice. Handling I feel is very predictable and well balanced - but ours is a 2006, and the Traction Control cannot be disabled unless dropped into first gear, and is a bit too sensitive for my liking. Snoqualmie Pass in heavy snow going up steep hills limits speed to 35mph at times due to the traction control.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by whopper
Welcome and congrats on the HHR.

Handling in the winter: I run 4 snow tires on a second set of rims - and they work well. The Front Wheel Drive is great in the snow and ice. Handling I feel is very predictable and well balanced - but ours is a 2006, and the Traction Control cannot be disabled unless dropped into first gear, and is a bit too sensitive for my liking. Snoqualmie Pass in heavy snow going up steep hills limits speed to 35mph at times due to the traction control.
Wonderful! I have never had traction control in a vehicle before so I honestly don't know what to expect with that. We probably won't have enough to do the snow tires but I've survived on all weather tires, even touring tires the first winter we had that PT - Really do not recommend that though! That PT would try and spin easily with it's short body. Going up the steep hill on my way home I'd barely be doing 20-25, sometimes less. On straight, flatter areas I was lucky to get up to 30-35 where most people were running 40 plus. It sounds like it will handle much better than that PT, which makes me very happy. If it's anything like my 93 Tempo or Dave's 05 Taurus was I'll be ecstatic (Driven those in a few blizzards at night)

I'm expecting "fun" in high winds due to the large amount surface area. We have a lot of farm land in my area & winds really wreak havoc in the winter.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:24 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site.

As far as the HHR in the wind, don't worry about it. It is a small car and pretty aerodynamic as far as it's shape goes.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:40 AM

to the site!
Old 04-20-2016, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site! I bought my 2007 in Dec 2009, with 34,000 miles on it, it's a 2.2 automatic, we get snow up here anytime from mid October to early April, I've never been stuck, never had traction issue, it does not have T/C . After 5 1/2 years , it now has 212,000 miles. It still gets great mileage, very comfortable and roomy!
Sometimes it's very fashionable to put a bowtie on!
Attached Thumbnails Hi Ya'll-image.jpeg  
Old 04-21-2016, 01:22 AM
Premium Member

Welcome.
Attached Images  
Old 04-21-2016, 01:57 PM

Welcome to the site and the HHR.

I deliver news papers with both of mine.

A good set of all tires and you should be fine.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:00 AM

Okay, more impressed now. She really does handle broadside wind well.. Wind was very bad driving home, the car behind me was swerving all over the place... they struggled & I didn't. I really thought it would be worse than the convertible pt b/c of the length/surface area & it was much easier to handle. Also heated up a lot faster.

VERY good to know she'll be good in the snow & wind. So many open areas on my way to work. If we get a wind coming from the West & it blows snow onto the road severely. We just ended winter & now I wish it was still here so I could go out to play.

Comfy and roomy is very accurate. It will be very nice for our trips to Racine.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Enjoy that HHR!!

Search this Thread