Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

New member 2010 Panel LS

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 03:29 PM

New member 2010 Panel LS

Hello all, joining up to learn what I can about my new ride. It'll be primarily used for business; the focus of my business is slowly shifting away from the need to use a Chevrolet 2500 and it's associated mileage with a 6.0 under the hood. I was looking for some sort of wagon, but I absolutely abhor the traditional wagon/SUV looks. Initially I had my eyes set on a mid 1950's panel wagon, but common sense came through with looking for better mileage, airbags, etc.. at the slight expense of overall looks. The HHR seemed to fit the bill, and I knew I wanted a panel just for the looks alone. I missed an 08 with 15K miles on it by a day (grrr...) but had bookmarked another with 33K miles on it, so I pounced on that before it disappeared. It's a very base truck, grey interior, white exterior (for now). It doesn't even have key fob remotes (which I do want to add at some point). While I was waiting for the car to be delivered, I scored some SS rims (not wanting hub caps at any level), and painted those (PO had really screwed them up with curbing and covering the scratches with Plastic Dip). With the new wheels and tires installed, it saw it's first 700 mile round trip as a trial by fire with a family vacation. Well, the wife and I. And I love it. For a base vehicle, the ride was far superior to what I thought it was going to be, and the mileage was through the roof (for me), averaging around 31 throughout the trip. Compared to my 6 liter at 10mpg no matter what I'm doing, this thing is a godsend. I do have some plans for it - I've found and ordered OE running boards and fog lights. I've already upgraded the stereo that has the option for a rear view camera (still thinking on that.. though as someone else mentioned, it's like driving with a full helmet on). Custom paint is on the list, I just have to decide what I want to do on it yet...

So for now, digging through threads...

Rick

Old 10-01-2018, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site.

FYI. All HHR's came new with key fobs. Some fleet cars had the remote start deleted but would still have the remote lock/unlock feature. You just need to obtain the fobs.
And yes. Read away!!!!. We have tons of info on this site that's accumulated over the years. Can't find something just post a question. If you didn't get an Owners Manual with the car, the site has them for downloading.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:52 PM
Technical Moderator

Welcome!

They really screwed you up losing the fob. When you get a new one you will probably have to tell whoever programs it for you to do the extra steps involved for the rear doors. It takes a computer; I don't think the module type will work.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:48 PM

Thanks guys. Well.. that's conflicting info. I work with a dealership nearby so I'm on pretty good terms with them. They ran the VIN and said that no, this model did not have the key fob remotes for the doors. Fobs are easy to find.. if I thought that all it would take I'd pick a couple up. I don't care about the remote start, but having the hatch on a separate circuit would be nice.

That said, for $60 I can pick up one of those Dorman kits with the programmer. I'll give that a shot. If it doesn't work, I'm only out the $60...
Old 10-01-2018, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member

Look at the glovebox sticker. If you have the code AP3, then you have remote lock/unlock, start feature which came with fobs. If you don't have that code, then it's a fleet ordered vehicle but should still have the remote lock/unlock just without the start feature.

Fwiw. Dealers don't know as much as this site does. These cars have been out of production for 7 years and they don't keep up on HHR info.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:14 PM

Definitely a fleet vehicle as it had come with a cage in the back. First I've ever seen that. But no code on the sticker. I'll try the Dorman deal. Can't hurt to try!

Old 10-01-2018, 05:53 PM
Technical Moderator

AP3 does not apply to 2010 MY. Every one came with Remote Keyless Entry, especially panels. How else could you open the rear cargo doors from outside?

They did not come from the factory with the cage AX8 would be "Partition Mesh, Driver & Passenger" AV9 "Net-Cargo, Movable". D7R for the slideout cargo floor

Probably has Remote Vehicle Start. Look through the customization menu for enable remote start, if it is there you got it. Or, look at the hood latch, if there is a wire harness going to it (not the impact sensor behind it) it can be activated.

And your paint code is Ice White RPO GBU/paint store G
Old 10-01-2018, 06:37 PM

Interesting, thank you Don. The cage partition I wouldn't have known if it were factory or not. I deal enough with PD cages and partitions that anything can be made to look factory. Doesn't matter at this point - it's in the scrap pile. As for opening the cargo doors... dash buttons, of course! But joking aside, I'll see what I can get done with the Dorman module thing. I'll look for the hood latch/harness tomorrow.. dark out now!

Well... couldn't wait. Went through the DIC and no love for the remote start. Oh well, it was worth a shot. But.. the menu shows something about 'horn lock on/off' or something similar, so to me that means there is a remote lock option...

The research continues...

Last edited by letterman7; 10-01-2018 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by letterman7
I don't care about the remote start, but having the hatch on a separate circuit would be nice.
Fobs will not open the rear hatch.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:33 PM
Technical Moderator

Cargo doors that can't be opened from outside the car are useless. To begin I have not seen a Dorman with the extra buttons and there is a second programming step that most techs don't know about.

Quick Reply: New member 2010 Panel LS