Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

New Member, New HHR Owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 07:16 PM

New Member, New HHR Owner

Howdy everyone!
I'm a new HHR owner...
Got a really great deal on a 2008 HHR LS Panel. It was owned by a cleaning and maintenance company a friend of mine works at.
It was in good working order, very dirty, and a bit beat up on the outside, when an employee lost the key.
They had previously decided they were going to get rid of the car, so they sold it to me for scrap price.
It has 220k on the odometer.
I removed the original Ign. lock cylinder and picked another one up at the local junk yard that had the key in it.
I attempted the 30 min relearn once... with no success. It starts and stalls with in a second or two. It sounds pretty good otherwise :P just needs to run a bit longer.
Anyone know what I might have done wrong? I'm going to attempt it again, maybe tonight, maybe in the morning.

Maybe after I clean it up, I'll post some pics.

Thanks for any helpful info.
Smitty
Old 10-14-2016, 08:08 AM

Welcome to the site.

Congrats on the new to you Hhr! !
Old 10-14-2016, 08:42 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:52 AM
Technical Moderator

Why not go to a dealership and have the ignition recall done, if it hasn't already. Or, take your title or registration and your VIN to a GM parts department or locksmith and get a new key made, then you could also open the door?
Attached Thumbnails New Member, New HHR Owner-key.png   New Member, New HHR Owner-key1.png  
Old 10-14-2016, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Why not go to a dealership and have the ignition recall done, if it hasn't already. Or, take your title or registration and your VIN to a GM parts department or locksmith and get a new key made, then you could also open the door?
I'm a do it yourself kind a guy...
Actually I'm a mechanic at a small shop here in Monroe, MI.
So, I was hoping this was something I would be able to do myself. From what you posted it would seem that I have learned the key to crank the vehicle, but the reason it will not continue running is that I need a GM scan tool to make it learn the fuel pump continue password.
That's a bummer.
I did get the ignition cylinder, door lock cylinder and key from the junk yard. Now I guess I need to see if there is anyone around that I can get to plug in a GM scan tool for the rest of the relearn.

Thanks for the info, and if I'm misunderstanding the situation please let me know.
Smitty
Old 10-14-2016, 12:36 PM
Technical Moderator

Is there an outstanding recall on your car? If there is it's a FREE fix for you. And now you are driving an unsafe car assuming the junkyard part was not a recall solution part, since there is no way to tell. People died for the recall.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gm-r...-status-50716/

Mechanic or no, why not get a key cut to your VIN instead of re locking the entire car?

Most mechanic shops around here have Snap On computers, some of the mechanics even know how to use them beyond reading DTCs.

Your attempt at 30 minute solution evidently did not succeed and you managed to erase the codes in memory.

The security bit is the plastic part (#1 in the attached pic) that fits around the keyway. Did you keep that part or use the junkyard part that matched the junkyard key?

Your shop doesn't have Mitchell1 or AllData?
Attached Images  
Old 10-14-2016, 01:43 PM

Is there an outstanding recall on your car? If there is it's a FREE fix for you. And now you are driving an unsafe car assuming the junkyard part was not a recall solution part, since there is no way to tell. People died for the recall.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gm-r...-status-50716/

Mechanic or no, why not get a key cut to your VIN instead of re locking the entire car?

Most mechanic shops around here have Snap On computers, some of the mechanics even know how to use them beyond reading DTCs.

Your attempt at 30 minute solution evidently did not succeed and you managed to erase the codes in memory.

The security bit is the plastic part (#1 in the attached pic) that fits around the keyway. Did you keep that part or use the junkyard part that matched the junkyard key?

Your shop doesn't have Mitchell1 or AllData?
Thanks for the info, it looks like it has two outstanding Recalls, both related to the Ign switch and lock cylinder.
Yes I have Mitchel and a SnapOn MODIS.
Mitchell was where I found the info for the 30 min relearn.
Before the 30 min relearn the vehicle would not crank. After the relearn it would crank but not stay running. Wasn't sure if this was do to another procedure that needed to be performed.

I'm going to give the dealer a call, may have to tow it to them.

Thanks,
Smitty
Old 10-14-2016, 02:51 PM
Technical Moderator

My attachments are directly from Mitchell1.
The MODIS is capable of anything a Tech2 can do up to sourcing firmware from TISWEB, might even do that if you pay for the subscription.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:48 PM

My attachments are directly from Mitchell1.
The MODIS is capable of anything a Tech2 can do up to sourcing firmware from TISWEB, might even do that if you pay for the subscription.
Yes I was familiar with the attachments from Mitchell.
I haven't tried plugging the MODIS into the car yet, MODIS is at the shop, and I towed the car to my house.
I was hoping that the relearn would not require even plugging the MODIS into it.
I'm very thankful for the direction to look up the recalls. I contacted my local dealer and they had to order the parts for the outstanding recalls. I'll tow it into them and perhaps all will then be well... and at no cost! That would be great.

Thanks again for the info.
Smitty
Old 10-19-2016, 09:54 PM

New Member, New HHR Owner-20161019_185024.jpg

New Member, New HHR Owner-20161019_185048.jpg
Drove it home from the dealer this evening.
Thanks for the heads up about the recall!
Smitty

Quick Reply: New Member, New HHR Owner