Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

New owner of '08 HHR SS in South FL!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 01:48 AM

Welcome! I'm from Ft.Laud but just moved near Gainesville. I also just bought my new favorite car truck wagon thingggy. Its a shame they stopped the car show at tower shops in davie last I herd.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:13 AM
X-1

Originally Posted by whopper
What a great find, especially for the price!! At that price, one doesn't mind putting a few $'s into it to spruce it up and bring up to spec, and it looks like you got a plan already.

Have fun with it - they are one heck of a car. Oh, by the way............... we LOVE pictures when you get the chance to post some up. :)
Hello again Whopper. Sorry for the late response, but I was experiencing technical difficulties on here. Anyways, I feel very lucky to not only have found such a great deal but to actually have bought and now own it. She had it on craigslist for $2200 or best offer, ok? Imagine... phone line busy every time I tried to call and when I finally got thru, voicemail full. I sent a text and an email out of curiosity more than anything else and totally forgot about it. When she responded days later I swear I thought it was some wacky craigslist scam. It's a funny crazy story that I will share and WITH pictures!
Old 03-25-2017, 09:29 AM
X-1

Thank you FiremanGeorge! So happy to be here! You guys are the greatest! I LOVE that SS badge on the grille! Mine came in yesterday with the bracket (Camaro parts) along with the Depo headlamp set (black bezels). Wife's birthday today so "no car stuff " until Monday. LOL CAN'T WAIT! It's been "no car stuff " since yesterday, 4pm. FedEx dropped the boxes right after that. Oh man... what torture!
Old 03-25-2017, 09:58 AM
X-1

Originally Posted by Casa Del Gatos
Welcome X-1,

You will like it here, these guys really know their stuff!

That is a CRAZY good deal, I thought I stole mine, but you really did the deal.
I am not a huge fan of black cars in the Deep South summertime (had one and learned) but black and red is a killer combo.

I was born in Palm Beach and spent time in St. Pete/Clearwater, the Keys and South Beach but it has been decades now so I wouldn't know anybody. For what it's worth, I have turned over everything for my cars beyond filter changes and cosmetic stuff to Pep Boys. If you find a good one with a real mechanic or two, they are golden. They let me bring my parts and charge a reasonable fee and are open on weekends.
Hello and thank you Casa Del Gatos! Like? I LOVE IT HERE! Not only do they know their stuff, but they are kind, good people willing to share. Awesome community here!

I am fortunate to have this baby. It's funny how it all worked out. I know what you mean about the black interior in S FL. Come Jul/Aug it can suuuck sooo bad, BUT I am an expert in finding shady parking spots! LOL Then I will do light tints all around except for the rear hatch and rear side glass, Those get the dark stuff! It will sorta look panelish, get it? And of course, the A/C is FFFRRREEEZing in this thing!

You are lucky. Unfortunately for me, finding a real mechanic in a Pep Boys (or similar shops) down here is like finding the needle in the hay stack.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:06 AM
X-1

Originally Posted by RacingRob
Welcome! I'm from Ft.Laud but just moved near Gainesville. I also just bought my new favorite car truck wagon thingggy. Its a shame they stopped the car show at tower shops in davie last I herd.
Hello there RacingRob! Yes, we miss Tower Shops, BUT at least there are many more events now spread out every weekend in Broward and Miami-Dade. Some as big as Tower Shops was!
Old 03-25-2017, 10:35 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks. My front SS emblem is the same as the rear hatch one. Wanted it to appear "factory", so that's why I used the matching one. Just had to make my own mounting bracket since the emblems are the stick on type.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:57 PM
X-1

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Thanks. My front SS emblem is the same as the rear hatch one. Wanted it to appear "factory", so that's why I used the matching one. Just had to make my own mounting bracket since the emblems are the stick on type.
Yes, exactly! That is why I chose the smaller Camaro's grille badge. It's the same one used on the grilles of most of their recent (2010 to present) SS models. I got the chrome/white one to match my other badges on the HHR. I got it with it's mounting bracket and I think I should be able to mod it to fit with a factory appearance. You did great work from scratch. It looks factory legit!