Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

New owner of 2006 LT2

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 09:28 AM

New owner of 2006 LT2

Ok folks, newbie here so be gentle. I drove a 1999 Nissan Sentra that I purchased in 2001 up until a month ago. I sold it for $1600. I acquired a black/silver HHR w/126000 miles on it from my brother-in-law who owns a lighting company. The HHR was a salesman ride. I bought it for $4500.00 and I am in love (you can love a vehicle, right?)

This thing is so cool to drive and I am still getting use to where all the controls are and what they do.

Question 1-Are the 3 foam panels around the air cleaner meant to be maintainenced? If so, how? I just recently had the dealership do an dino oil change (It was free. They offer a free LOF on your birfday ). I had them install a K&N air filter I bought myself and was wondering if these 3 foam sections are what you guys refer to as the wooly worms.

Question 2-Every now and then the T/C light comes on along with the check engine light. When this happens the transmission shifts very harshly. The dash panel lights eventually turn off and everything goes back to normal, usually after it has been sitting a few hours.

Thanks for the opportunity for me to learn.

Kevin C.
Tulsa OK
Old 02-21-2013, 12:30 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome & Congrats-

Not sure what 3 foam pieces you mean ? Maybe you can identify them on this pic.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:58 PM
Platinum Member

I think, and correct me if I am wrong, but he may be referencing the sound insulation pads on the lower rear of the filter box. As far as maintenance.......comes to individual preference. When I had my stock air box, I blew high pressure air through them when I cleaned under the hood.

Kevco, the "woolly worm" is the intake air line on the left side of the air box, that goes to the passenger fender wall. It is # 1 on the diagram that sleeper posted, although it is not illustrated well.

Question regarding your question #2.........when did these problems occur. Was it after the install of the K & N filter? If so, it may be the fault. Some owners have experienced problems with that filter, some have not. You did list symptoms that COULD occur with the K & N do to improper air flow (filter oil has been known to cause a problem).

By the way kevco, you have a 2LT not a LT2, which is a symbol for a V8 engine by Chevrolet.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
I think, and correct me if I am wrong, but he may be referencing the sound insulation pads on the lower rear of the filter box. As far as maintenance.......comes to individual preference. When I had my stock air box, I blew high pressure air through them when I cleaned under the hood.

Kevco, the "woolly worm" is the intake air line on the left side of the air box, that goes to the passenger fender wall. It is # 1 on the diagram that sleeper posted, although it is not illustrated well.

Question regarding your question #2.........when did these problems occur. Was it after the install of the K & N filter? If so, it may be the fault. Some owners have experienced problems with that filter, some have not. You did list symptoms that COULD occur with the K & N do to improper air flow (filter oil has been known to cause a problem).

By the way kevco, you have a 2LT not a LT2, which is a symbol for a V8 engine by Chevrolet.
Thanks for the information. The T/C light was coming on before I installed the K&N.

Here is a photo of the insulation panels:

http://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/file...2/img_0021.jpg

I thought there might be some sort of cover or cowling that was supposed to be over these.
I am the proud owner of a 2LT!!
Old 02-21-2013, 08:43 PM

Welcome to the site.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:48 PM

Welcome to the site. Is your picture of the area between air filter housing and the fire wall?
Old 02-21-2013, 10:35 PM

Welcome to the site Kevin!
Old 02-21-2013, 11:02 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by kevco
Thanks for the information. The T/C light was coming on before I installed the K&N.

Here is a photo of the insulation panels:

I thought there might be some sort of cover or cowling that was supposed to be over these.
I am the proud owner of a 2LT!!
Interesting, my '08 stock box did not come with these. Seems obvious to be heat insulation from exhaust manifold (below it)..

Old 02-22-2013, 10:57 PM
Premium Member

Welcome to the site, I agree 2lt's are sweet......especially black panels...
Old 02-24-2013, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Lucky
Welcome to the site. Is your picture of the area between air filter housing and the fire wall?

Yes indeed. That is exactly where they are located. Just seemed odd. Thanks all for the welcoming.

Quick Reply: New owner of 2006 LT2