Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

new 'used hhr" owner - trips, pics and more

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 03:54 AM

So I am still kicking about the USA, just finishing upa trip from.. (starting point) Grand Rapids Mi over to Omaha neb. Had to replace rear brakes cause some idiot who I asked to check it in GR screwed them up. 209 bucks later all new rears... off to San Antonio. Had fun down there, did the tourist stuff and caught a few drag races. Then it was off to Dallas. More drag races.. Once those were done it was off to TriCities pasco kennewick Washington for a graduation I promised I would attend. Car ran lke a champ even with engine light on for over 7 months now, Got 38.7 MPG from it still.

In Tricites I had my friend who owns a shop do a lot of preventive maintenance on it. change oils fuild trans radiator and anything else liquid. Front brakes where fine but since he has a Oriellys business account I put on all new rotors and wagner pads up front. replaced the 02 downpipe sensor which was the engine light fault and it purrs like a kitten (can of seafoam on the long runs helped it to a lot I think) all this cost me 389 bucks.

after a couple weeks there I headed off to Area51 again and Vegas, I did do those but it wasnt fun this time, its was 118 degrees, and Vegas at midnight was still 112. I stayed one day.

So off I go again and I head over to texas and OKC and finally now Tulsa for a race which got canceld about a hr after I got here for rain on fri sat. (todays thur) super bummed I wasted so much gas clipping down to 40 instead of straight across to MI.

Now odd thing. and maybe it was the WIND, omg the WIND, I was doing a right turn nonstop for 2 days driving it was so bad. I ended up only getting 31mpg. idk why it dipped 7mpg but still purrs like a kitten.

Im stuck in tulsa till sunday as the motel would not refund my cah. lol. "Oh no we no give money back, no must not do!" yeah I havent even stepped in the room yet, but sigh. I wil take the time to explore Tulsa, I'm told its a bit rough and it appears to have a ahem, meth problem, from what little ive seen so far.

I bought some wheel covers from china, cost me 29.99 free shipping. I havent changed much else.

bottom line - if HHRs where still being made I'd buy one. I love it that much.

[/IMG]

Last edited by donbrew; 06-29-2017 at 11:13 AM. Reason: racist comment deleted
Old 06-29-2017, 04:18 AM

Old 06-29-2017, 04:20 AM

Old 06-29-2017, 04:25 AM

its starting to show its age though and the 29000 miles I put on it in one year.
I notice that the headlights are slowly yellowing over and aren't as crisp as when I got it, its been about a year so I suspect the prior owner had polished them before sale, which makes perfect sense in the timing of the rework. I can buy a kit for 18 bucks to do it myself or pay a guy in GR to do it on the curb for 25. (for both) I think in this case it well worth the 25 to let someone with a polisher and tools to just whip it out.

And yes I know the back bumper doesn't match, they dont make my color in spray paint anymore so I experiment with anything that looks close.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:30 AM

Old 06-29-2017, 04:35 AM

Old 06-29-2017, 04:37 AM

Old 06-29-2017, 04:47 AM

so yeah, its served me well already, do not regret getting it at all. The body is still super straight, it just needs a all over one color paint job to look brand new. As long as its not a beater I am happy. only one thing has broken on it really and thats the trim ring that holds the cigarette lighter in place.. I had to um, chewing gum it in , seems to work but some little clip broke off somewhere on the cheapy plastic retainer.

still works though. I just cant yank on it, (yes I broke it not the cars fault)

and for the record the little tiny spoiler lip I made for the top of the rear hatch I think is responsible for the jump from 36mpg avg to 38+.. I noticed the back window doesnt collect dust near as bad since I stuck it on. it cost 12 dollars on amazon. The chrome stuff on amazon cost maybe tops 40 bucks. 55 if you count the dumb bezel on top. As much as I hate Amazon for political reasons, it sure is handy to order from.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:54 AM

I'm super stoked for you and your car, and admittedly, jealous of your lifestyle. I agree with you about Amazon, but there's so much that's just easy to get. BTW, I've got the Eibach Pro springs on Big Red, and I love them. I believe the Cannucks that OldBlue has are slightly lower, but I'm happy with my stance.
This is the first time reading this thread, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Looking forward to see and read where you go to next.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:06 AM
Platinum Member

He's BACK!!! Good to see the continuation of your adventures. And the car is looking great. Keep rolling man.

Quick Reply: new 'used hhr" owner - trips, pics and more