Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

Newbie Question about HHR

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 06:39 PM

Newbie Question about HHR

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I signed up yesterday in order to get some info in regard to 2007 hhr LS. I'll give you a little background about me first.

I do sales for a living, so I drive quite a bit. Sometimes as much as 200-300 miles per day. So as you can imagine, the miles add up pretty quickly. I take care of my vehicles, and they typically last me well into the 200,000 range, but I typically drive something with a 6 or 8 cylinder.

Long story short, I ran across a 2007 HHR LS yesterday for $7500 @ 48,000 miles. From the others that I was comparing it to, it seems like a pretty nice deal. It is a repo, and is being held by the bank.

It seems like the others I was comparing it to were roughly 80-100k miles on them.

In your folks experience, what are the "typical" things that go wrong with these vehicles, and how long could one expect an HHR to last typically? I know these are really broad questions, but any info you can give is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:57 PM
Premium Member

Welcome to the forum Axent, I do outside sales too.....HHR best salesmobile yet. Some have got 250K +,... fill yours up and see how it does.....
Old 01-05-2013, 08:07 PM
Technical Moderator

Things that "typically" go bad are: front wheel hubs, exhaust "flex" pipe, front rotors. A new set of rotors with new ceramic pads will get you about 50,000 miles, new ceramic pads after that on the same rotors should go 45,000 more. Front brakes are easy to do with simple tools..if you don't let them go too far. If you can change a wheel and own a metric socket set. Monitor the rear brake adjustment for better wear on the fronts.

Check for recalls.

I got 200,000 on my 2008 LT before major expenses

That sounds like a pretty good deal if you can get new 70,000 mile tires it would really be nice. The OE tires are 70,000.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome & Congrats-

One member here has over 300,000 miles on his. Enjoy it !!
Old 01-06-2013, 08:49 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll try to get over to take a look at it tomorrow, while I'm there, any recommendations of things I should look at while doing the inspection of the vehicle?

I know one person who had an hhr awhile back, I called him asked him his overall opinion of the vehicle. He said for the most part he was happy with it, but at about 50k miles, the rear seal went bad, had to be repaired, other than that, he didn't have any issues.

I'm always a bit nervous about picking up vehicles, because I've been burnt in the past. So I'm jus trying to do my due diligence.

I do have a auto shop that I have a trusting relationship with, I'll probably drive it over and let them have a look.

Thanks again for the help, maybe by tomorrow, I'll be posting pics of the new ride.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:10 AM

WELCOME to the forums, I to am a new owner ,but of a 2011.. so I cannt give any trouble info
Old 01-06-2013, 10:08 AM
Administrator

nothing to fear but fear itself, buy it if your mech. likes it, and go forth unto the masses, and sell young man sell!
Old 01-06-2013, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Axent
Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I signed up yesterday in order to get some info in regard to 2007 hhr LS. I'll give you a little background about me first.

I do sales for a living, so I drive quite a bit. Sometimes as much as 200-300 miles per day. So as you can imagine, the miles add up pretty quickly. I take care of my vehicles, and they typically last me well into the 200,000 range, but I typically drive something with a 6 or 8 cylinder.

Long story short, I ran across a 2007 HHR LS yesterday for $7500 @ 48,000 miles. From the others that I was comparing it to, it seems like a pretty nice deal. It is a repo, and is being held by the bank.

It seems like the others I was comparing it to were roughly 80-100k miles on them.

In your folks experience, what are the "typical" things that go wrong with these vehicles, and how long could one expect an HHR to last typically? I know these are really broad questions, but any info you can give is greatly appreciated.

If you are concerned that you do not have the knowledge or experience to determine whether the car is suitable then ask the bank if you can take it to a local mechanic for a complete inspection.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:02 PM

So I went out today and picked up my new hhr. Picked it up at around 2pm today and drove it the rest of the day...I don't have a pic to post, but it's just a typical silver LS her. Nice and clean both inside and out, and only 44k miles, I misread the ad, I thought it had 48k.., so that was a nice surprise.

Only bad thing is it has hubcaps rather than rims, so the search is on for some nice rims.

Thanks to all that have helped me out so far, and looking forward to getting to know some of you on the forum.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:10 PM

I have 175,000 trouble-free miles on mine, and as long as you take care of it right and keep up on oil changes and routine maintenance, you should be able to go over 200,000 without too many problems... and Welcome to the forum!! Enjoy your new ride!

Quick Reply: Newbie Question about HHR