Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

Possibly a future HHR owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by SS fan
Welcome to the site, TFord. Dont drive a SS, I'm glad to hear the value is going up, I didn't pay that much 1.5 years ago.
Why shouldn't I drive one? Yeah they're solid around 20K...but I did find one for 15K, thinking about checking her out tomorrow
Old 02-19-2012, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by TFord
Why shouldn't I drive one? Yeah they're solid around 20K...but I did find one for 15K, thinking about checking her out tomorrow
Very solid.

As you've seen, if the LS-LT HHR bodies don't do it for you, the SS is quite a bit different, with unique and distinct body effects on the front, sides and rear. They give the SS a more aggressive feel than their LS and LT siblings. Some non-SS owners have done SS body kit conversions...not sure what the total cost on that would be.

If you're more into luxury, the 2LTs offer heated leather seats. I think there's even an SS owner or two on here who swapped out their standard SS seats (mostly a faux suede) for the leather ones. I happen to like the SS seats a lot myself...and depending on which color SS you choose, there's some cool color options available on '08s and '09s SS seats (red and black, black and silver, or black and black...check out the SS options thread for more details). Keep in mind that '10 SSes only offer the black interiors.

Last edited by Devils950003; 02-19-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:28 AM

Oh and one last thing re: SSes...things can get a bit complicated, with all of the different seating options available...for a while (see below) there were two kinds of front seats available. There's quite a few older SS models that don't have matching front seats (why GM thought this was a good idea is lost on me). This post from the SS options thread sums this up perfectly:

Originally Posted by hyperv6
08 SS could only have the performance seat as an option on the driver side.

Early 09 it was still an option drivers side.

A month or two later after production started in 09 they made it standard on the drivers side and optional on the passenger.

A few months later in 09 they made it standard on both sides.

As they kept increasing the price they made more things standard.

My 08 has a performance seat on the driver side but I changed it myself. Not hard but can get pricey if you do not have a discount.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:03 AM

TFord, I was in a similar position to you....wanting a new daily driver. I really wanted the SS look and performance if possible, but was willing to modify an LT if necessary. Once I started looking, I was amazed at the number of SS versions available. No where near the number of LS and LT versions, but enough to take a serious look at. The other thing I learned was the potential cost to changing the body parts. With some searching, you can find everything you need. Luckily, I also have a friend at a dealership, so jobber cost for parts doesn't hurt either.

The other thing that you will run into is the option changes through the model years. When did Bluetooth connectivity make into the stock vehicles? When did GM decide to make matching "performance" seats available? When did GM finally put the power window switches in the armrest?

I ended up pulling the trigger and buying a 2008 SS (auto trans) this past week. With the economy here, I was able to buy a CPO vehicle from a Chevy dealer in Flint, MI for under $13K. Being a CPO, it came with the 12 month/12,000 mile warranty, which was a big selling point for me.

I'm definitely a larger guy, but the HHR fits me just fine. Yep, it's not as roomy as my 2004 Impala SS, but it's exactly what I was looking for in a utilitarian/sporty vehicle with great gas mileage.

Like others have said, take some test drives to pin down what you really want, and then happy hunting
Old 02-19-2012, 11:05 AM
Founding Member

Good luck on the potential purchase! And welcome!
Old 02-19-2012, 12:17 PM

Good luck on your search TFord, for what you are looking for a Magnum might be the better choice? They are a nice ride, love the SRT model. You're heart doesn't seem to be into a HHR and there's nothing wrong with that.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:22 AM

I've just always been a RWD sport/muscle car guy. Now that I'm older and married with kids now, I'm just having some trouble shifting my priorities. I've been a fan of the HHR since its inception, and I really like the SS. Personally I think its the best choice for what I need, now its just an issue of finding one I want to spend cash on.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:44 AM

I've got the same priority issues. Having motorcycles mitigates not having a RWD sports car for me. With the HHR SS in auto, the wife approves, and gas mileage is good, and it rocks like a sports car from where I sit. If I was romping on a Dodge Magnum, I think I'd be taking food out of my family's mouth to pay for gas. However, as said before, get what you like first or you'll spend more in the long run getting around to it.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:13 AM
Premium Member

Tford, I told you not to drive one, cause what come next is, you buy one. What part or Wash. you in Maybe we can meet for java, I can show you why i like it better than a Magnum, would be fun.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:42 AM

Lol, got cha

Quick Reply: Possibly a future HHR owner