Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

Trying to be a Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 08:37 PM

Red face Trying to be a Newbie

Hello all

I'm on Vancouver Island, Canada, which seems to be very far away from most of you, though I'm happy to see a few other enthusiasts in BC

A couple weeks ago I rode in my first HHR -- and was immediately smitten! I have since researched for hours and hours online and have now located and test-driven two. One is a 2011 and plain, practical but lacking the pitty-pat factor; the other is a 2008 and loaded, a real show-off. Guess I'm shallow. Guess which one grabbed me. Second test drive today, a more careful look, and some questions came up.

(1) In a 2008 LT with 2.4 L automatic, is it reasonable that the Info (neat dealio on the steering wheel!) would indicate average trip fuel consumption at 13.7 L? (I have no idea how far that is based on.) That's only about 18 mpg! My current ride, a 1992 Mitsubishi Delica 4x4, gets better than that! I don't know if this HHR is a gas guzzler or if maybe the computer thingy is wrong. Neither sounds good to me I did ask the salesman if a tune-up would help and he said no, that's the best I will get from that vehicle. (?) I noticed that when I returned the vehicle, it had gone down a bit to 13.5. But I'd been expecting around 10.

(2) Since I could not find it myself, I asked the salesman to show me the plate which shows all the codes and the rest of that handy information, and he looked and said that it was gone. Gone? Yes. Someone had power-washed it off. Now that really bothered me! I was expecting a metal plate, but he said no, it was paper, and it was gone. I thought they needed to stay with the vehicle. I know I've referred to the one of my van and it sure was handy.

(3) Thanks to some great folks here, I was able to find and read the manual which explains there are many reasons for the "check engine" warning to stay on. The dealer had said it was because the vehicle had been sitting and probably had condensation in the lines, and that it would go away . . . Hmmm. But, what if something really does need to be checked??

Much as I'd like to settle myself into that sweet little flashy ride, these things are making me nervous. I don't mind putting on two new tires and keeping track of the rear brakes since they're at 40%. But I sure don't need any big, unpleasant surprises when I've been given these warning signs that should have me asking serious questions before I make a decision.

Does anyone have some advice for me? Please? I'd sure appreciate it.

We've been having one heckuva storm, though not as terrible as my neighbours not far to the south were hit with, and those of you on the other coast. And even on this lousy day, it was a fun test drive, and man oh man, did I ever love that heated seat

Thanks a lot. I'm glad I found this forum.

Elly, Vancouver Island, B.C.
dogs: Echo and Dozer
current ride: Mitsi, a '92 Delica
Old 10-15-2016, 08:57 PM
Technical Moderator

Welcome!

You should be able to get a new RPO sticker from the GM parts department. Just give them your VIN. It is supposed to be on the inside of the glove box door.

The MPG on the dashboard includes all of those "miles" idling on the lot.

The dealer should have supplied a Owner Manual and the RPO label, check with the provincial government if they are required to.

Online Owner Manual is available through the link in my sig.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:31 PM

Sorry, lost my first reply. Hope this isn't a duplicate.
Thank you for this information. Neither of us thought to look in the glove box. If it's not there, I will ask if they can get an RPO (good to know its name) or maybe I'll ask at a larger GM dealership. I did find a manual online here, for which I thank the people responsible. And I'll check your "Check Engine" link. Thanks!
Elly
Old 10-15-2016, 09:58 PM
Technical Moderator

I did not see the bit about the check engine light.

They should have NEVER allowed the car to leave the lot!!!! Go back immediately and make them fix whatever the cause is. "condensation in the lines" is total BS.

They sold you a broken car. (period) Threaten legal action. The sales person is a crook a liar or just totally incompetent. If this was an actual GM dealership go directly to the owner, do not stop any shorter, and threaten to go to GM.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:41 PM

Donbrew, I haven't bought anything yet, am still doing my homework, partly by joining this Forum. But darn, I'd really hoped that HHR would turn out to be okay. No wonder I was having doubts, eh. Most of the rest I've found online have 150,000 km / 93,000 miles or more, not the greatest for me. I'm beginning to wonder if I'll find anything suitable.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:29 AM
Technical Moderator

The CEL does not mean the end of the world.

It is possible that somebody forgot to tighten the gas cap. P0449

But it could also mean the timing chain is ready to break. P0016

There are hundreds of reasons for it to be on between "don't worry" and "don't think about it".

The codes need to be read, that is an easy and cheap or free thing. Take a test drive to a big box auto parts store and ask them to read the OBD2 codes, get the numbers not the description, then post them here.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:31 AM

I had read the thread here about getting the Pxxxx code numbers and knew there were many possibilities. But you put it so well : )
I’m wondering why someone at the onsite mechanic’s shop couldn’t read the codes -- ?
And no matter what, why hasn’t it been taken care of already? Doesn’t give me much faith in the dealership since they have known for several days that I’m interested. But if they don’t or can’t do it there, then maybe I will ask if I can take it for a third ride and see if our auto parts stores are as helpful as yours.
Which leaves me with the problem of gas guzzling. I take your point that it may have spent some time idling on the lot, but it hasn’t been there long. Of course, who knows where it was prior to that.
But first, the OBD2 code . . .
That’s great advice. Thanks!
Old 10-16-2016, 10:50 AM
Technical Moderator

They need to plug a device into the car, can't be done online. Maybe OnStar can, but you'd have to pay for a subscription.

In my state it is illegal to sell an uninspected car, a CEL would fail inspection.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:18 AM
Platinum Member

Good luck on checking that car out, and Welcome to the forum. Donbrew has given you some great advice there. He is one of the best.

Can you post a link to an ad for that car you are looking into?
Old 10-16-2016, 11:55 AM

Yes, I realize it can't be done online. The owner did tell me it would be taken care of ... I don't know but suspect that we have a similar legal requirement here before a sale is made.
Thank you, Whopper. Here's the link [URL="http://nanaimo.craigslist.ca/ctd/5731491955.html"]

Quick Reply: Trying to be a Newbie