The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

10 year old girl arrested

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 07:41 AM

10 year old girl arrested

http://www.local6.com/news/14857286/detail.html

This is amazing. Do the authorities in Ocala, Florida really have nothing better to do than arrest 10 year old girls for cutting their steak at lunch? Yes the parents should have known better than to send a steak knife to school, but when the authorities learned there was nothing to the story, they should NOT have arrested this girl, suspended her from school for 10 days, charge her with a FELONY, and transported her to the Juvenile Assessment Center. She did not threaten anyone, and it is clear she was no threat. Ridiculous. It's things like this that have me afraid of our future as a country.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:50 AM

Steak knife or not, it's still a knife.

At what point do you say a rule can be bent?
Old 12-19-2007, 08:05 AM
jx3

Have to agree w/ solman to a point. Did they really have to take her to Juvie?

And where did you get the fact that the parents sent the knife? It seems that some kids don't really know any better.

Very similar story last week.......10 year old arrested w/ scissors......

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6699151/

Maybe these kids will all become the next Lord of the Flies.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:09 AM

It's Battle Royal time for those who catch the reference.

Really silly to try and protect everyone from everyone. Someone who wants do to violence simply will. Someone who wants to cut their food cannot?

Do schools still have butter knives in their cafeterias? I dunno because my girl gvags hers since her school has no cap.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:45 AM

I'm glad we have rules to protect our kids, I really am. But, if my granddaughter were arrested, handcuffed, and taken to jail without the school or the police reaching the parents or grandparents BEFORE they handcuffed and hauled her away, I'm afraid I would end up in jail. There would be some serious a**kicking and name calling when I found out. Get real folks, protect the kids by all means, but use a little discretion. Why did she have to be handcuffed and hauled away?
Old 12-19-2007, 11:01 AM

An elementary student in Marion County was arrested Thursday after school officials found her cutting food during lunch with a knife that she brought from home, police said.

The 10-year-old girl, a student at Sunrise Elementary School in Ocala, was charged possession of a weapon on school property, which is a felony.

According to authorities, school employees spotted the girl cutting her food while she was eating lunch and took the steak knife from her.

The girl told sheriff's deputies that she had brought the knife to school on more than one occasion in the past.

Students told officials that the girl did not threaten anyone with the knife.

The girl was arrested and transported to the Juvenile Assessment Center.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.
What am I mising, where does it say she was hancuffed? Does it state that if a weapon (knife) is brought to school this is what happens? Where does it state she was locked up? She was processed at an assessment center.

Ya'll act like she was hogged tied and drug out, then thrown in the slammer. If there is more to this story, then please post some info. But from what I read, this is policy.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:10 AM

Here is little more info:

But a couple of teachers took the utensil and called the sheriff. When deputies arrived, they were unable to get the child’s parents on the phone, so they arrested her and took her to the county’s juvenile assessment center.

“And we didn’t handcuff her or treat her like a criminal. But, we took her to the assessment center to be assessed,” said Capt. James Pogue, Marion County Sheriff’s Office.
http://neveryetmelted.com/?p=3274

OK, link not showing correclty.

School officials say the 5th grader was brown-bagging it. She brought a piece of steak for her lunch, but she also brought a steak knife. That’s when deputies were called.

It happened in the cafeteria at Sunrise Elementary School. The 10-year-old used the knife to cut the meat.

“She did not use it inappropriately. She did not threaten anyone with it. She didn’t pull it out and brandish it. Nothing of that nature,” explained Marion County School Spokesman Kevin Christian.

But a couple of teachers took the utensil and called the sheriff. When deputies arrived, they were unable to get the child’s parents on the phone, so they arrested her and took her to the county’s juvenile assessment center.

“And we didn’t handcuff her or treat her like a criminal. But, we took her to the assessment center to be assessed,” said Capt. James Pogue, Marion County Sheriff’s Office.

School officials said it doesn’t matter what the knife was being used for. They said they had no choice.

“Anytime there’s a weapon on campus, yes, we have to report it and we aggressively report it because we don’t want to take any chances, regardless,” Christian said.

But the sheriff’s office said the extreme measures in what some may say was a harmless incident had to do with school policy, not theirs.

“But once we’re notified, we have to take some type of action,” Pogue explained.

The student now faces a felony charge for the possession of a weapon on school property and the principal suspended her for ten days. The parents of the girl could not be reached for comment.

The sheriff’s office has turned the case over to the State Attorney’s Office.
It's a zero tolerance policy. Good, bad, or indifferent. I bet it was voted in.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by solman98
What am I mising, where does it say she was hancuffed? Does it state that if a weapon (knife) is brought to school this is what happens? Where does it state she was locked up? She was processed at an assessment center.

Ya'll act like she was hogged tied and drug out, then thrown in the slammer. If there is more to this story, then please post some info. But from what I read, this is policy.
What upsets me is this girl had no malicious intent at all. All she was doing was eating her lunch. As I said the parents should know better than to send their child to school with a knife, but the punishment does not fit the crime here. Is it really necessary to charge her with a FELONY over this? A 10 year old girl? Where in the hell is the common sense here? Should there be some punishment here? Absolutely, but this is way over the line.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:21 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by mizzouHHR
As I said the parents should know better than to send their child to school with a knife
As I asked before.........Where is it stated that the parents sent the knife with the child?
Old 12-19-2007, 11:23 AM

[QUOTE=jx3;220658]

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6699151/

Read the link to this story referred to by jx3. This child was handcuffed.

Quick Reply: 10 year old girl arrested