Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   The Lounge (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/lounge-10/)
-   -   2011 Corvette (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/lounge-10/2011-corvette-8965/)

ymerej_mortsdnil 06-28-2007 10:57 PM

2011 Corvette

4 Attachment(s)
Hello! I just saw this featured in the August '07 issue of Winding Road.
Thought I would share it with my fellow Chevy fans! What do you think of the new design?!?

http://www.windingroad.com/download?...nt&attr=Cover#

Attachment 40884

Attachment 40885

Attachment 40886

Attachment 40887

chingchonger 06-28-2007 11:04 PM

The new Corvettes will look nothing like those pictures. They are obviously photoshopped versions of the current Corvette. Those pictures are just the imaginations of the writer of that article.

Snoopy 06-29-2007 12:39 AM

There is RUMOR floating that the current Z06 engine will be the standard, with a supercharged and finely tuned version as the upscale, somewhere close to 650 HP. Course that's if GM is still in business in 2011.

But heck, I've also heard stories of turbo diesels being tested too.

EL_REY 06-29-2007 02:04 AM

ah man the red one looks better

mmm but if they only made the "tiger shark" or the "blue devil" i think it was

oh man that tiger shark vette i saw in a mag once.. got daaamn thing was hot

MrVette 06-29-2007 02:08 AM

Everything looks good except the rear end. the latest I news I hear is the "Blue Devil" is going to be called a Z-07 with 700HP.

fastsuv 06-29-2007 07:12 AM

So here are the once-every-10-years rumors of a mid-engine corvette being considered. back in the 60's Zora Arkus-Duntov looked into a mid-engine design, then the idea keeps re-appearing every so often (remember CERV-III?). The new part of the rumor is building a front-engine Vette AND a mid-engine model.

Steve

hhrcrafty 06-29-2007 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by chingchonger (Post 163897)
The new Corvettes will look nothing like those pictures. They are obviously photoshopped versions of the current Corvette. Those pictures are just the imaginations of the writer of that article.

+1

Until the test mules start running around the desert in a year or two, they won't have a clue. The C6's were actually more of a surprise because they used C5s for test mules on the mechanicals until the last possible minute. GM has always been pretty consistent about making sure each generation of Corvette is a unique, clean sheet design.

nfboy 06-29-2007 01:28 PM

Which version is the poll about? I prefer the yellow one myself.

Seeburg220 06-29-2007 04:50 PM

Call me a snob, but I'm not digging the C5-7 Corvettes. I don't care for their styling as much as my '70, and the owners seem to be cut from the same cloth: big fat bald guys who have more money than they know what to do with. That's ugly, but it's my take on it.

http://www.1970stingray.com/DSC01926.jpg

Chizzer 06-29-2007 05:04 PM

Seeburg, I'll have you know that you're driving my dream car

Lone Ranger 06-29-2007 05:11 PM

Whew! Close call. I almost fit Seeburg's description. But I had a C4 (1995), and although I'm bald(ing) I'm not overweight (yet).

HonestBlues 06-29-2007 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Seeburg220 (Post 164108)
Call me a snob, but I'm not digging the C5-7 Corvettes. I don't care for their styling as much as my '70, and the owners seem to be cut from the same cloth: big fat bald guys who have more money than they know what to do with. That's ugly, but it's my take on it.

http://www.1970stingray.com/DSC01926.jpg

Hey man...what's wrong with being a big fat bald guy?:roll: I just don't have the money yet...c'mon Florida Lotto!!:lol:

HillsdaleHHR 06-29-2007 06:04 PM

The yellow looks like it was mated between a Vette and a Lambo. Looks okay but not my favorite.

Lone Ranger 06-29-2007 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by HillsdaleHHR (Post 164154)
The yellow looks like it was mated between a Vette and a Lambo. Looks okay but not my favorite.

Sticker price will probably indicate such a pedigree as well... :scared:

hhrcrafty 06-29-2007 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Seeburg220 (Post 164108)

That's a fine machine, Seeburg. Lovin' that C3!

My parents have a '95 C4. They love the car and it was a great deal for them. They do the wave and such, but often times the C5/C6 guys won't wave back. It's starting to change a little with the C5s because regular people are starting to pick 'em up on the used market and really enjoy them, but it'll take a while for the C6s to filter out of the Guido gold chain and diamond Rolex crowd.

They're all Corvettes, though. The King of the Hill. Every one of 'em.

Black Rose 06-30-2007 12:07 AM

Of all the vettes, I prefer the body style of the C3.

Maybe because those were the first ones I saw as a youngster.

Snoopy 06-30-2007 12:33 AM

Was in Costco tonight and was looking through a book, "The History of Corvettes". Guess what??? At the end of the book there was a section on The Future of Corvettes. The pictures are the exact same ones as posted here, from WindingRoads. And the book stopped with, I believe the 2005 or 6. So those pictures must have been around for a while.

Didn't see any credits though.

EL_REY 06-30-2007 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty (Post 164280)
That's a fine machine, Seeburg. Lovin' that C3!

My parents have a '95 C4. They love the car and it was a great deal for them. They do the wave and such, but often times the C5/C6 guys won't wave back. It's starting to change a little with the C5s because regular people are starting to pick 'em up on the used market and really enjoy them, but it'll take a while for the C6s to filter out of the Guido gold chain and diamond Rolex crowd.

They're all Corvettes, though. The King of the Hill. Every one of 'em.

nah its not cuz they are the regular type ppl... its just that some of them think they are hot sh*t...alot of times its ust some dumbasses who end up getting a vette cuz of mommy and daddy or cuz they landed a decent job somewhere and they dont know what it is to be a vette owner, hence no "wave", like with bikers and thier harleys..kinda the same with corvette owners

dream vette for me is a 1980
dream car is 68 Ss Camaro or RS/SS
but im kind of wanting to buy a 64/67 lemans, or a tempest gto/clone

krishaynes 06-30-2007 06:55 AM

I love the Corvette, and I will own one! Just not today.

I find that as every new generation comes on board it takes awhile for people to fall in love. It'll be the same in 2011, as it will be in 2311 - although the Corvette could be some sort of flying vehcile by then.:lol:

My favorite 'Vette is too hard to come up with. How about these?

1967 Corvette w/L88
1969 Corvette ZL-1 (hey, I know they only made a few - I can dream can't I???)
2007 Corvette Z06...or Z51....heck, I love all the C6 'Vettes!

SandyBeach 06-30-2007 07:52 AM

Do they even sell enough Corvettes anymore to pay for the R&D. Or, are we paying extra for the HHR to fund it?

Chevy needs to get realistic and change the Corvette design back to the original one. Make it a small, sporty, two-seater and start competing with the Miata for sales! Ford did it with the Thunderbird. Chevy should too!

hhrcrafty 06-30-2007 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by SandyBeach (Post 164330)
Do they even sell enough Corvettes anymore to pay for the R&D. Or, are we paying extra for the HHR to fund it?

Chevy needs to get realistic and change the Corvette design back to the original one. Make it a small, sporty, two-seater and start competing with the Miata for sales! Ford did it with the Thunderbird. Chevy should too!

They sell enough Corvettes worldwide that they actually make a tidy profit on every one of them. Surprising, but GM actually loses more money on the HHR! The design of the C5 did have to be subsidized a bit by the other divisions, but that was simply because they'd let the car languish for so long without a redesign. The ZR1 was an almost completely different car that was developed mostly under contract with Lotus Engineering.

Also, Chevrolet does *not* have much of a hand in Corvette development. Corvette is actually considered to be the "ninth" brand division at GM that just happens to be sold at Chevrolet dealerships. In other countries, the Corvette is simply "Corvette", not the "Chevrolet Corvette". They have their own unique development and performance operations and their own unique plant and powertrain systems, save for running the occasional Cadillac XLR down the line (which uses a completely different powertrain).

Making the Corvette into something that's going to compete with the Miata would be an insult to tradition. The Corvette has always been about being the halo car for GM--the best and most advanced car GM has on the road. Ford completely screwed up with the Thunderbird and lost a lot of money on it.

The Solstice and Sky roadsters compete with the Miata just fine. People who buy Miatas are not the same people who plunk down $70k for a 505-HP Z06. There are people who are putting LS2s in their Soltice/Sky, but there's a difference between being a Corvette and pretending to be a Corvette...

GDZHHR 06-30-2007 08:46 AM

I aggre crafty.

The Thunderbird was an example of retro done wrong. Just bad quality and underpowered, didn't help that it was overpriced. It was NOT in competition with the Miata.

johnnypatrick 06-30-2007 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by ymerej_mortsdnil (Post 163895)

I like the look I see here but doubt if the vettes will look like this by 2011. This is still in the concept stage.

Lone Ranger 06-30-2007 09:27 AM

crafty, the ZR1 engine (LT5) was Lotus designed and Mercury Marine built, but the rest of the car was regular 4th gen (C4) Vette.

hhrcrafty 06-30-2007 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger (Post 164357)
crafty, the ZR1 engine (LT5) was Lotus designed and Mercury Marine built, but the rest of the car was regular 4th gen (C4) Vette.

Ohhh...there were a lot of differences. Have you ever seen the photos of the '86 and '87 mockups they had running around England? Just about the whole rear end of the car was completely different. The front K-member was different on the ZR1 for the LT5 engine and upgraded suspension. Lotus designed not only the engine, but almost all of the ZR1 package upgrades including the suspension and spec'd the ZF transmission and Dana 44 rear. All GM really had to do was build new molds for the bodywork to wrap around all the changes Lotus made. The only body panels shared between the regular C4 and the ZR1 were the hood, facia, roof panel, and front fenders. Even the windshield was different!

krishaynes 07-02-2007 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty (Post 164336)
They sell enough Corvettes worldwide that they actually make a tidy profit on every one of them. Surprising, but GM actually loses more money on the HHR! The design of the C5 did have to be subsidized a bit by the other divisions, but that was simply because they'd let the car languish for so long without a redesign.

...Also, Chevrolet does *not* have much of a hand in Corvette development. .

You may have read it already, but you'd love the book "All Corvettes Are Red" which is the story of the development of the C5.

To make a long story short the Corvette Engineering team figured that it would cost $200 million to develop the next Vette. Now where to get the funding. They hid costs in the C4 program, and, I don't want to ruin one of the more juicy bits but there is also a part about your last sentence...

I'm not one to push books on people, but EVERYONE who loves the Corvette should read this book:

All Corvettes Are Red
James Schefter
ISBN 0-671-68501-5

ymerej_mortsdnil 07-14-2007 08:06 AM

The boys at Winding Road fooled everyone.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2956978

:laughabov :rof: :rof: :rof: :laughabov
:nuts:

EL_REY 07-14-2007 04:00 PM

hehe that was a pretty good article...
hell funny but at the same time dissapointing...

so now they say the bue devil may be fake or whatever...i dont know man cuz ive seen it , well in pics and in mags and in videos of the car that is supposedly the "blue devil"...also ive seen the "tiger shark" vette...

damn its crazy to think they may b fakes now :roll:

O6ChevyHHR 07-14-2007 07:24 PM

I think the RED one is more likely what its going to look like, not the Yellow one.

mitzkity 07-14-2007 08:08 PM

I'd rather have a good sting ray any day. Still not used to the "Here's my butt in your face" Vettes of today.

Z-Man 07-14-2007 08:17 PM

Jeremy
If I was able to purchase a new Vett it would be that Yellow One.
Yellow always looks the Badest no matter what kind of car as long as its a vehicle that everyone would want. I wished my HHr was in Yellow when I was purchased my Daytona Blue

Yep! The Yellow One 4 sure.

Z-Man

O6ChevyHHR 07-14-2007 09:08 PM

Just like I wanted a Yellow Colorad Xtreme before...... someday

itschaboykenny 10-20-2007 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by ymerej_mortsdnil (Post 170344)
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2956978

:laughabov :rof: :rof: :rof: :laughabov
:nuts:

OWNED!!! :lol:

BowTieBob 05-28-2008 12:00 AM

Originally posted by Seeburg 220

Ok, you're a snob:D
I had a 67 convertible and a 68 427 coupe. While they were nice cars, they were not paticularly enjoyable to drive. I now have an 07 Z-51 Coupe and it is by far a vastly superior car. The C3 was my favorite body style until the C6 came out. All Vettes have their good points though. Oh, I am neither fat, bald or have more money than I know what to do with.

oldschoolfreak 05-28-2008 05:22 PM

If you ask me the last real vette was made in 81 sometime !! scince then they have NO real style like the c3 and prior bodies did!!
the c3 not enjoyable to drive???? i smile ear to ear every time i jump in my 68 vert!! Bowtiebob you said nothing about not being old?? im fat but not old or bald, not rich by any means but i love the c3 driving experience as rough and cramped as it is, it is raw in your face power!!
https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil...Picture150.jpg

Yonash 05-28-2008 06:42 PM

personally, i'd like to get one like the one oldschoolfreak posted a pic of, and toss an LS2 /T56 combo in it. i'm not very old, so i havedeveloped a great love for both old school and new school rides, and i love when both are meshed together. classic styling with new tech under the hood, that's what i'm talkin about!

hhrcrafty 05-28-2008 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by oldschoolfreak (Post 270102)
If you ask me the last real vette was made in 81 sometime !! scince then they have NO real style like the c3 and prior bodies did!!
the c3 not enjoyable to drive???? i smile ear to ear every time i jump in my 68 vert!! Bowtiebob you said nothing about not being old?? im fat but not old or bald, not rich by any means but i love the c3 driving experience as rough and cramped as it is, it is raw in your face power!!

A Corvette is a Corvette, regardless of generation. That's an amazing C3 and I hope it stays with you for a long time.

Since I'm a member of the last year of Generation X, the C4 is "the" Corvette to me. Dude, it's the car Face drove in the A-Team! The C3 has always looked "old" to me, but my parents love them. The C5 and C6 look too "new" for me to fall in love with, but I'd take either in a heartbeat.

The Corvette has always been the halo car that showcases the best of GM engineering and racing heritage. It doesn't look back because it is always moving forward. I hope that they do not make it into some kind of Solstice-style roadster because we're 55 years beyond that car.

lzrdking 06-15-2008 03:20 AM

when they redid the front end of the corvettes a few years ago i could have sworn i was looking at the front of a long viper... and those pictures and pictures i just googled look like a thrown together mess of viper, corvette tail lights and the new comaros thats just my 2 cents

and seeburg thats what id like to see come back in style

GTO to HHR 06-15-2008 04:00 AM

No offense to C3 fans but that was probably the worst corvette made in my opinion. Best by far was the 427 stingray second best newest z06.

Nor-Cal HHR Club 06-15-2008 02:00 PM

That looks like a Lamborghini or Ferrari. None of those would work in todays market. $5.00/Gal gas today = $15.00/gal gas in 2011 and I'm guessing a 96+ octane car like that will get something like 5 miles/gal?

But is does look nice!