The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

9mm vs .40cal

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 08:01 AM

9mm vs .40cal

Going to be picking up a Glock subcompact soon. This will mainly be a carry weapon, wanting something lighter (and newer) than my trusty ole Titan I've had for close to 30 years. Just having a hard time deceiding on which one to get. I know the basics, 9MM ammo will be less expensive, and .40 cal has a little more knockdown power. Again, this will be a most carry weapon as I have my .357 for other needs. Looking at the Gen 4 model 26 and 27. In this model, the standard mag has a 10 round capacity for the 9MM and a 9 round for the .40. Both expandable to larger capacity when needed. I can get either for the same $$$ at the local PD store.

I'm leaning toward the .40, but can't make my mind up. So which is better and why? lol

What I like is they are made right here in Smyrna where I work.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:21 AM

Well a gun is only as good as you can shoot it...so shoot it often and a lot...I would lean towards the 9mm...Also if you have 10 rounds that should knock somebody down but we all know how good accuracy is in high stress situations
Old 10-22-2012, 09:28 AM

Retired combat vet, so I've fired a few times...lol

I've put 100's of rounds through my old Titan (.380), I have about a 5" grouping @ 20 yards. While active duty I had marksman with the Beretta 9mm.

I've actually never fired my .357. I need to, but haven't taken it out yet. Probably will once I pick up this new one.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by solman98
Going to be picking up a Glock subcompact soon. This will mainly be a carry weapon, wanting something lighter (and newer) than my trusty ole Titan I've had for close to 30 years. Just having a hard time deceiding on which one to get. I know the basics, 9MM ammo will be less expensive, and .40 cal has a little more knockdown power. Again, this will be a most carry weapon as I have my .357 for other needs. Looking at the Gen 4 model 26 and 27. In this model, the standard mag has a 10 round capacity for the 9MM and a 9 round for the .40. Both expandable to larger capacity when needed. I can get either for the same $$$ at the local PD store.

I'm leaning toward the .40, but can't make my mind up. So which is better and why? lol

What I like is they are made right here in Smyrna where I work.
Is it because I'm a dumb Canadian that I can't see why you need a "carry weapon"........
Old 10-22-2012, 09:53 AM
Founding Member

I like the 40 cal. Own 4 of them. I can buy 250 round boxes (remington) at Wal Mart for $78. I carry a Ruger LCP 380. Fits inside a wallet holster, so it looks like I have a wallet in my back pocket. All my 40 cals, including my sub compact XD from springfield would require a holster of some type. Texas is concealed only state, so wearing a holster requires a jacket or other clothing to conceal it.

My son and I go shooting at least every two weeks. Expensive habit, but we enjoy it and keeps us sharp.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:56 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by A Crazy Canuck
Is it because I'm a dumb Canadian that I can't see why you need a "carry weapon"........
I have a birthright to protect my self and my family. I'm am trained and have the proper licenses. But I don't need a piece of paper to tell me that I have a right to live and to protect my life.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:02 AM

If you don't plan to shoot it often go with the 40...otherwise pick up the 9. Sure the 40 has more knockdown power but a few 9mm hallow points will do some significant damage if needed. I had a Taurus 9mm P1 (shorty) and it was okay...had a lot of recoil for a 9 and the spread was terrible on it I guess due to the shorter barrel.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:21 AM
Platinum Member

I carry a Glock Model 19 (9mm). 14+1 capacity. Had it for over 20 years. Fits in my front pants pocket, no problem.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by A Crazy Canuck
Honest question...

I've had a CCP since the early 80's. I don't always carry, but I like the option if the situation comes up (travel, etc). Lucky for me, I've never had to pull mine out for any reason in a civilian environment. But I live and work near Atlanta. Crime is getting worse as this economy isn't getting any better. This to me is no different than the alarm system on my house, or locking my car. I'll be as safe as I can. I'm just looking to upgrade my Italian made Titan that is getting harder and harder to find repacement parts for, like magazines.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
I like the 40 cal. Own 4 of them. I can buy 250 round boxes (remington) at Wal Mart for $78. I carry a Ruger LCP 380. Fits inside a wallet holster, so it looks like I have a wallet in my back pocket. All my 40 cals, including my sub compact XD from springfield would require a holster of some type. Texas is concealed only state, so wearing a holster requires a jacket or other clothing to conceal it.

My son and I go shooting at least every two weeks. Expensive habit, but we enjoy it and keeps us sharp.
I'm leaning towards the .40. I've been holding off on going for a while since it's getting harder to find parts for my Titan. Glock's are made here locally and I can get one for under $400 new. After watching the last debate, this may be the last year I'll be able to do this...... Few keys words caught my attention.