The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

any one done any construstion in the middle east

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 10:46 PM

any one done any construstion in the middle east

If so whay type of construction was it and was irt worth it and how did you find out and or get involved

I am in residential construction in CA and I have about 3 weeks left on my current project and its time for unemployment. The building is just comming to a stand still here in the central valley and Bay Area.And somebody mentioned That for a short term contract ther money is pretty good
Old 10-10-2008, 08:57 AM

I haven't, but heard that the money is good. If you need help I may be interested in going if the money is right. 13 years surveying doing construction layout both residential and industrial. Michigans building stopped awhile back, things are really slow.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:14 PM

I spent 8 months deployed to Iraq. After talking to the civilian contractors there I would do it in a heart beat. They got paid 3-4X's as much usmilitray did, free room and chow, plus you get to see the world. Minus the getting shot at and bombed factor, i loved it there.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:21 PM

If I didn't just start a new job, I might join you guys.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:35 PM

You might not necessarily have to look to the Middle East. In Western Canada (Alberta and Saskatchewan) the construction industry is still pretty strong. It's slowing in Alberta but Saskatchewan should remain fairly strong for a while. There was a very large tradeperson shortage here over the last 2-3 years. I don't know what it is like now though, likely still jobs available but not a great as it once was.

Still lots of oil jobs (drilling crews, oil sands extraction stuff.) The gas station/convenience store two blocks from my house is hiring and the starting hourly wage is about $12 or $13.

My municipality also requires a lot of employees especially in public transit. If you can drive a bus, or learn to drive a bus, they will hire you at more than $20/hour or if you are a heavy duty mechanic it's about $35/hour.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:58 PM

Head to Iraq for construction, truck driving any type of service, you name it. Pay is excellent and pretty safe now compared to a couple of years ago. The "surge" took care of that.

Great way too earn some $$ and to visit a very different place in the world...

beats unemployment!

Goose
Old 10-14-2008, 06:36 PM

what really sucks is the fact that the US blew this place up and now we have to pay to rebuild it for them while our economy is stopping in its tracks....screw iraq let them do it themselves. sorry about your job, I worked trades in the union in Illinois for many years and I understand layoffs and unenjoyement, I feel for ya'
Old 10-14-2008, 07:10 PM

well I supposedly have a number for a recruiter but so far have only left several messages. If any body has any leads could you please let me know.And if this recruiter turns out to be a real person Ill let you people interested know more as soon as I find out.

Hey GOOSE when you say 3-4X the pay is that and Journeyman levels Like if Im at say around $30-35 an hr would I be at 3-4X that
Old 10-14-2008, 07:43 PM

That was blackedout who said that...I only know mil pay which isn't too shabby but I know the civilians make a good amount of coin...

If you do enough searching on the net you should find leads to employment in the sandbox...check out KBR's website

Goose
Old 10-14-2008, 07:58 PM

im sure it varies amongst the civilians, but most of them were making in the 60-80G's a year range, but that was almost 2 years ago. And its not necessarily work for the Iraqi's. Alot of the guys i met worked on the military bases fixing and building and doing maintenance for the military bases over there.

But like Goose said, KBR is the company you want to look at.

http://www.kbr.com/careers/europe_mi...ica/index.aspx

that should be able to point you in the right direction

Quick Reply: any one done any construstion in the middle east