The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

AP source: UAW walks away from GM concession talks

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 08:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by trfindley
Here in GA, a company is building a plant to supply metal stampings for the soon to be opened Kia plant. The metal plant has 600 jobs available at $10 per hour, plus healthcare.
They got 3000 applications in 4 days.
The UAW have priced themselves out of the market.
I think it's more like the foreign manufacturers are bringing slave wages to the USA. It used to be that people from the south would move to the north to step up in society and get the manufacturing jobs that paid well and built the middle class. Now we have $10 an hour jobs opening in the south with suppliers for foreign manufacturers. Instead of building up a middle class, we're building up a lower class that can't make more than $20k a year. I guess in the USA, the limit for undereducated workers is $30k a year and the starting for educated workers is $40k and up now. Way to build a caste society. $30k a year is a great way to raise a family and save for retirement in this day and age.

I'd be willing to bet that the steel they're stamping wasn't milled and rolled in the USA. I'd also put money on the fact that neither the stamping plant nor Kia are paying ANY property taxes on the plants they're building down there.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Senior
DETROIT (AP) — A person briefed on concession talks between the United Auto Workers and General Motors Corp. says union negotiators walked away from the bargaining table Friday night.

The person says the talks broke off when the company made proposals that the UAW considers detrimental to providing health care to retirees. He asked not to be identified because the talks are private.

The person said no new talks have been scheduled.

The breakdown comes at a critical time, just four days before GM is to submit a plan to the government to prove it can become viable and justify its government loans.

GM has received $9.4 billion in loans thus far and can get $4 billion more if the Treasury Department approves its plan.
The talks can and will be continued. Do you think that for 1 minute that the UAW will allow this all to happen. There are many power struggles in negotiating a new deal as the Govt., GM and the union are looking for whatever is best for each. There is always a middle ground. The deal needs to find that middle ground. The Govt. is looking for radical change as is GM and that is always the case in deals. What if GM and The Govt. take too much... what then. Nothing for the worker. Everything must be in a balance to satisfy each others needs. As much as executives are getting lower salaries, the need for workers and "retirees" to survive is also a concern to all the negotiators. The Govt. also needs the tax money from the workers to sustain the country.
Also, the Canadian Govt is offering Billions to GM also. The dollar is more profitable in Canada as it is worth 20% more in profits to GM($1US=$.80Can.) The plants in Canada build much higher quality vehicles and could very easily sway decisions for GM to build more in Canada. The benefits are lower as Canada has Health care that is much cheaper to sustain than in the U.S..
Is North America going third world? Nothing for anyone and and slave labor for all...
Old 02-16-2009, 05:39 PM

In my opinion, I think gm should file for bankruptcy... start fresh... but thats just my .02... just going by what I hear on tv and read.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:59 PM

yeah get some new people in there
Old 02-17-2009, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by jmarines
In my opinion, I think gm should file for bankruptcy... start fresh... but thats just my .02... just going by what I hear on tv and read.
Careful what you hear on the news, alot of it is not justified. Just blown up up to get the public all worked up for nothing.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:00 AM

Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see, you'll have a better insight to what's happening around you.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
I think it's more like the foreign manufacturers are bringing slave wages to the USA. It used to be that people from the south would move to the north to step up in society and get the manufacturing jobs that paid well and built the middle class. Now we have $10 an hour jobs opening in the south with suppliers for foreign manufacturers. Instead of building up a middle class, we're building up a lower class that can't make more than $20k a year. I guess in the USA, the limit for undereducated workers is $30k a year and the starting for educated workers is $40k and up now. Way to build a caste society. $30k a year is a great way to raise a family and save for retirement in this day and age.

I'd be willing to bet that the steel they're stamping wasn't milled and rolled in the USA. I'd also put money on the fact that neither the stamping plant nor Kia are paying ANY property taxes on the plants they're building down there.
I Don't totally agree with that. $10hr is not that bad to get paid in the South. Hell here in Chicagoland most companies start there employees also at $10-10.75. Which area is more affordable as far as housing,etc? the South is. Regardless of what area pays more fact of the matter is there is getting to be less and less of a Middle class. Regardless of Schooling. Its coming down to your either Poor or Rich no more Middle Class.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by jmarines
In my opinion, I think gm should file for bankruptcy... start fresh...
I tend to agree.......
Old 02-17-2009, 09:52 AM

Here in GA, a company is building a plant to supply metal stampings for the soon to be opened Kia plant. The metal plant has 600 jobs available at $10 per hour, plus healthcare.
They got 3000 applications in 4 days.
The UAW have priced themselves out of the market.
I saw that on the news also. It was crazy.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:44 PM

That's the minimum wage in Canada. Your probably better off being on "Welfare".

Quick Reply: AP source: UAW walks away from GM concession talks