The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Apparently I work for a pretty good company

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 06:46 PM

Apparently I work for a pretty good company

I have heard left and right about people getting laid off. My job isn't one I want to do the rest of my life, but I can do it for a while. The 12 hour days starting at 5 am are a little rough, but I have been doing it for over 2 years.

Today they announced that we, like most others I assume, will not be getting a Christmas bonus. Instead, we are all getting a Corporate gift of $1,200 (minus a lot of tax) but even still, I wasn't expecting anything. We normally get a 3% raise each year (on top of our yearly review raise) and instead of that we are getting a 2% raise. In these hard times, I go to my job not really appreciating what I have... but from what I have seen, I have a pretty good job.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:00 PM

We always seem to take things for granted--especially our jobs! You never know how much you liked your job until you lose it!! Sounds like you are using good judgement and look at the "big picture"...
Old 12-19-2008, 07:49 PM

Amen to that, many of us are grateful for our jobs. Regarding bonuses, the biggest problem for businesses is that the first year they do it, everybody is excited and pleased, but after several years the employees begin to look at it as a right instead of a special recognition in good years, and the actually get miffed when they don't get one.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by c2vette
Amen to that, many of us are grateful for our jobs. Regarding bonuses, the biggest problem for businesses is that the first year they do it, everybody is excited and pleased, but after several years the employees begin to look at it as a right instead of a special recognition in good years, and the actually get miffed when they don't get one.
True! I'll never forget the time the Company Owner gave out nice all-weather jackets for Christmas--everyone looked in the pockets expecting to find the "surprise" CASH!! Then they complained and some even threw away the jackets!! (It had been a rough year, and was the 1st time cash was not given)...
Old 12-19-2008, 08:45 PM

Nice. We get a $25 Gift Card for Walmart. Yippy!!! This was before the Economy went to crap. Now that its crappy we don't get a raise. O but if u were there less then 4yr's u get a .25 raise for 09. If u have been there for more then 4yr's you get nothing. U think it would be the other way around.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:56 PM

I am self employed.. No benefits.. No health insurance..
I try not to take my job for granted. Sounds like you got
a pretty good job daniel. only stinky thing is 60hr weeks..
Old 12-19-2008, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by halfpanel08
Sounds like you got
a pretty good job daniel. only stinky thing is 60hr weeks..
Well yeah, two 60 hour weeks per month isn't my idea of a good time. But hey, I'm used to it, I don't complain about it (to much anyway) and I'll just count my blessings. The place I work for has never laid anyone off... ever. They have been around for the better part of 80 years too.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:11 AM

I recently changed jobs...Was an EMT and a dispatcher for an ambulance company. Hospital that owns us wasn't doing too hot and said no to raises - I was already making significantly less than industry standard - so I got online - got hired right away at Fed Ex. Seems like a good place (been there a short time - and they appreciate me)...at my age (40's) it's all about the benefits...meaning health insurance and retirement...I could make more money working at a print shop - but there is no job that is sacred any more....
Old 12-20-2008, 03:06 AM

we also didnt get raises this year, we normally get a yearly raise of 1.5-4% depending on what gets voted in, bot nothing this year....instead we got a one time bonus check depending on our hourly pay and our years of service...
Old 12-20-2008, 06:56 AM

Im on SS Dis and am getting a 5.8% raise Jan 1

Quick Reply: Apparently I work for a pretty good company