The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

ban cell fone use while driving?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 03:17 PM

ban cell fone use while driving?

Heard on the news that our state legislature is toying with the idea of banning cell phone use while driving, there was a audio snippet that 7 lives were lost on our state highways last year due to accidents caused by cell fone use. I believe they are targeting the ones where the phone is planted on the ear, maybe not hands free users. I know personally while riding my scoot and in the HHR i had a few close calls and one almost fatal from drivers engaged in a conversation while not paying attention to the road. Gals don't get mad at me but 90 percent were female drivers.. yes some guys were idiots too..
What is so important to carry on a 20 minute conversation while driving ?
Old 11-14-2006, 03:56 PM

I am never for government over stepping thier bounds and forcing thier will on the people, however the people need to learn to use common sense once in a while and not put themselves in a position to cause harm or injury to others becouse of thier stupidity. It's an age old question with no real good answer. Myself, I only have a cell phone for emergencies, and keep it off all the time, until I need to use it, and I don't use it while driving. There is nothing that important that can't wait until I get home or to a parking spot.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:02 PM

$100 ticket in DC...needs to be everywhere. Take a look around at the next stoplight. Its rediculous. I get sick of having to drive extra defensively up here because some idiot isn't paying attention
Old 11-14-2006, 05:00 PM

It is easy to pull over and stop. I get emergency breakdown calls from Power company crews 1 or 2 times a year where the operators goof up and put the basket in a position they cannot get back out of, they wait for me to pull over.... Listen to me sales people.... big offenders..
Old 11-14-2006, 05:59 PM

I saw a bumper sticker the other day that read:

"Guns Don't Kill People - Talking on Cell Phones While Driving Does!"

It is getting pretty bad out there...
Old 11-14-2006, 06:43 PM

So MIke there are NO ordinances out there concerning cell fones? I understand you cannot even have a GPS in Cal on the windshield becuase of driver distraction...
Old 11-14-2006, 07:33 PM

The Army (propably all services) has made the same law while driving on post. The MP's will pull you over and give you a citation if you are caught driving and talking on the phone without a hands-free set.

Nick
Old 11-14-2006, 08:06 PM

the fine should be like x50 for stupid teens who do this...

last week some jackass on a cell phone rear ended me, but thank god nothing bad happened, only scratched up under the bumper where the tail pipe is...but its going to cost him $400
Old 11-15-2006, 05:48 AM
Banned

It is already illegal to talk on a cell while driving here in NY but it doesn't stop anyone from doing it. I haven't seen the use of cell phones while driving go down one bit since they enacted the law in 2001. There are still just as many idiots driving around talking on their phone not paying attention to their driving. I also have never known anyone to get a cell ticket. Take it from somebody who lives in a state with an anti cell phone law it is completely useless.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:35 AM

Mythbusters proved that driving under the influence and driveing while talking on a handheld cell is the same. I am all for it considering i got rear ended by a person on a cell phone 4 days after getting my HHR.

Quick Reply: ban cell fone use while driving?