The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Briggs & Stratton in trouble.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 08:57 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks Doc. I gave up on Briggs after they started having small engines made in china.
Although my vintage B&S push mower has a tried & true Flathead (made in the USA).. That mower still runs like a top.
Old 09-22-2020, 03:41 PM

The "new" Briggs & Stratton emerged from bankruptcy today. This is a deal similar to GM. There is "old" Briggs carrying all the debt, and "new" Briggs being dept free. Not mentioned in the article is that Todd Teske is out as president and CEO. Also the previous mentioned sale of assets will not happen. All brands owned by Briggs will continue to be manufactured and sold by Briggs (Ferris, Snapper, Snapper Pro, Simplicity).

https://biztimes.com/briggs-stratton...capital-group/
Old 09-22-2020, 08:07 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks Doc- Appreciate the link. Guess they had to have someone to be the sacrificial lamb on the chopping block.

"New" Briggs really did well in this.. Come out smelling like a rose & no debt. Good for them. but just doesn't seem right..
Old 09-23-2020, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Thanks Doc- Appreciate the link. Guess they had to have someone to be the sacrificial lamb on the chopping block.

"New" Briggs really did well in this.. Come out smelling like a rose & no debt. Good for them. but just doesn't seem right..
Senior leadership is who drove them into the ground. Nothing sacrificial about letting someone go who is under performing. That said this is like GM. Was it right to spin off a new debt free GM? Maybe. Maybe not. The thousands of people who work for these companies are glad for it though.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:29 PM
Platinum Member

Valid points as usual Sir.. This is like GM. If I was a worker for them, I would indeed be glad for the new deal.