The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Buick Brings Back The Boattail

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 04:13 PM

Buick Brings Back The Boattail

I thought a Buick fan such as yourself might find these of interest:

Buick Avenir brings back the boattail | Fox News

http://apparatusmag.com/2015/01/11/b...a-convertible/

Last edited by CA Blue HHR; 01-12-2015 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:31 PM

When I think Boattail I think Buick Riviera early 1970s. I don't see much of a boattail on this Avenir.

Boydie

Originally Posted by CA Blue HHR
Old 01-14-2015, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Boydie
When I think Boattail I think Buick Riviera early 1970s. I don't see much of a boattail on this Avenir.

Boydie
I agree not much of a boat tail here. I do like the aggressive styling of the car.

I am a big ragtop fan so I am very curious about the Cascada. This is the first time in 30 years that I do not have a ragtop since I replaced my Sebring with the HHR. It looks like the Cascada may be positioned to compete with the Lexus and Audi crowd so it will be out of my price range.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:04 AM
Administrator

is it me or does this new Buick ragtop look almost the same as the Pontiac G6 retractable roof, the things that make you go, HHMMMMM!
Attached Images   
Old 01-14-2015, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
is it me or does this new Buick ragtop look almost the same as the Pontiac G6 retractable roof, the things that make you go, HHMMMMM!
I thought that too but in the video the car's interior looks bigger than the G6. Either way though it piqued my interest as a ragtop buff.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:36 PM

Personally I like the look of the Pontiac over the Buick.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Boydie

Boydie
That view from the rear was a little clipped. It's more visible here, but I agree. It's kind of an allusion to a boat-tail - much like modern Caddies allude to tailfins...

Old 01-15-2015, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
I don't know. I really have to squint the even vaguely see any similarity other than the convertible look. Completely different platform. The G6 was FWD on the midsized Epsilon platform like the Chevy Mabilu and Saturn Aura. The Avenir is a RWD on the considerably bigger fullsized Omega platform like the Caddy CT6.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:46 PM

And, the G6 'vert was HEAVY. That's why I didn't get one after initial interest. Yeah, it's got room for my kids in back, but it's heavy and handles like it. Let's all hope this new Buick is not handicapped in the same fashion. I was way closer to getting a Solstice after that ride, but family econ kicked in...
Old 01-15-2015, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by db/sb
I don't know. I really have to squint the even vaguely see any similarity other than the convertible look. Completely different platform. The G6 was FWD on the midsized Epsilon platform like the Chevy Mabilu and Saturn Aura. The Avenir is a RWD on the considerably bigger fullsized Omega platform like the Caddy CT6.
The convertible is a completely different car than the Avenir. It is a Cascada and is a rebadged Opal Cascada. It's a sibling of the Verano and is built on the Delta II platform. So you are still correct that it is not the same as a G6.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opel_Cascada

Quick Reply: Buick Brings Back The Boattail