The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Chrysler Chapter 11 Problem.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 06:49 PM

Chrysler Chapter 11 Problem.

This is something we Chevy owners could have a problem with if GM files bankruptcy.

My wife has a 2003 Dodge Caravan. On Monday she was driving along and suddenly the engine quit running while she was going 55 mph, cut out for about 5 seconds and then started working again. Did this 3 or 4 times before she got home. Next day had Firestone run an analyzes on it and the cars computer has a dead short in it. Because Chrysler has shut down production none are available through Firestone sources. The Chrysler part suppliers quit making them and who knows when they will start up again because of there shut down.

On the bright side I sourced a place in Florida who will repair and reprogram the computer for $300 including shipping back to me. Firestone was gonna charge me $950.

Hope this doesn't happen to GM. Then I would have 2 cars with manufacture problems.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:15 PM

Why don't you just a used computer from a salvage yard. I see no reason to pay to get a computer repaired. Most yards will sell you one with a warranty that makes sure it's working.

http://car-part.com/index.htm

There are tons of places listing an ECU for a 2003 Dodge Caravan
Old 05-23-2009, 11:07 PM

For starters your missing the point of the post. I just wanted to point out what problems we all face if the GM suppliers quit producing parts for our cars.

Yes the junk yard computer might have been an option. However, the problem with that is that it needs to be programed to the Vin # the car. Just like our HHR's do. The Dodge dealer wants $200 to do this and Firestone wanted $175. If the junk yard computer was defective or a problem showed up down the line then they both tell me I would be out that programing money. (Not to mention the cost of the used computer.) My Wife and kids are out in this car every day and I want the peace of mind that this wont come back again. But thanks for the input anyway.

By the way, I also went to http://car-part.com/index.htm and the prices were $200 to $300 for the junk yard computer.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:36 AM

I had a '96 voyager. I went through 3 junkyard BCM's (body control module) which is the computer, and never got the problem fixed. My wipers would only cycle once when turned on, and they would cycle once when the power window reached the top or bottom of its travel. Dealing with Chrysler was a PITA. I finally got rid of that POS, trading it in for the HHR. I will never buy another mopar again! Going down the road in the rain, with one hand turning the wipers on and off was ridiculous! Yes, the BCM has to be programed to the VIN and milage, and you have to get the one specific to your model, with the same options.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:46 AM

And that is exactly why I went the repair route...
Old 05-24-2009, 09:41 AM

Don't foget about the resale value

I checked our 2005 Caravan back in December and I could probably have got 10-11k for it, now i'm lucky if I could get 4-5k for it. and it only has 50k on it.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:04 AM

In Canada, the government has guaranteed warranty and parts support for all cars, even if the manufacturer shuts down. I thought I heard the same from the american government,no?
Old 05-24-2009, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by prod
In Canada, the government has guaranteed warranty and parts support for all cars, even if the manufacturer shuts down. I thought I heard the same from the american government,no?
I think you have it wrong

Yes there is a requirement for parts to be made for a vehicle for a certain amount of years after the model is no longer made. There is no guarantee that the part will be available ASAP and there certainly no way the government can force the company to provide the part if the company is out of business.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:38 AM

Thumbs up

I love that site.
My wife has a sunfire, she backed into something a few years ago and broke the lens that runs across the trunk.

I found OEM ones somebody in Wisconsin was unloading for $100
they are $400 from the dealer.

Originally Posted by 09 Panel
Why don't you just a used computer from a salvage yard. I see no reason to pay to get a computer repaired. Most yards will sell you one with a warranty that makes sure it's working.

http://car-part.com/index.htm

There are tons of places listing an ECU for a 2003 Dodge Caravan