The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

"Clunkers" Program gone???

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 10:15 AM
ecl

I think this whole thing is crap. Getting rid of all this good cars is stupid, I love having older cars. Me and my dad get old ones all the time and run them into ground then use those parts to revive another. Sure could use alot of those parts now, I just hate every one being suckered into this global warming BS. Oh well just my opinion.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
The problem with that is a lot of these vehicles have good used parts on them which is desperatley needed by the salvage industry. Why are they needed? Because people are keeping their vehicles much longer and maintaining them much better to make them last, so there are fewer salvage vehicles out there. Used part prices are much higher percentage wise these days due to a lack of supply.

So they sell the crushed vehicle for scrap and get 1/50th the return that parting the car out would bring.
Interesting. But really, 200,000+ cars, nation wide, not being in the salvage pool should not have that big of an impact on used part prices. Its just an excuse for salvage dealers to raise prices. Used parts got over priced back in the 90s when salvage dealers realized that people were willing to pay up to 75% of the price of new. I think the last used part I bought was in '93. I don't really feel too sorry for the scrape dealers. The owners of the ones in my neck of the woods live in homes the average "joe", i.e. their customers, will never be able to afford.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:13 AM

Cash for Clunkers is now back in effect

I just came from the Edmunds CFC site and the dealers were given the O.K. to resume the CFC program.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:40 PM
Founding Member

Looks like the game is still on:

WASHINGTON (AP) - The House has voted to rush an additional $2 billion into the popular but financially strapped "cash for clunkers" car purchase program.
The bill was approved on a vote of 316-109. House members acted within hours of learning from Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood that the program was running out of money.

Called the Car Allowance Rebate System, or CARS, the program is designed to help the economy and the environment by spurring new car sales. Car owners can receive federal subsidies of up to $4,500 for trading in their old cars for new ones that achieve significantly higher gas mileage.

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer said the new money for the program would come from funds approved earlier in the year as part of an economic stimulus bill.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:25 PM

Right!

So when are going to start hearing about 'the unscrupulous' bootlegging "good" parts from the crusher and then we get to pay for the court cases? This did nothing but spawn a new criminal.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:25 PM
Founding Member

The rules are A) You destroy the engine with sodium silicate B) The vehicle is crushed. Nothing happens with the transmission.

We did 15 today. The scrapper pics them up monday and we have 13 more that are awaiting financil approval before we take out their clunker. Although some of them were sad to destroy, it was kind of fun and everyone got a chance to see and hear an engine destroyed. It was a mini party.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:57 AM

If I read it right the Disposal Facility could remove parts to sell, as long as it is not the drive train.

http://www.cars.gov/official-information
Page 104 of the Rule
(c) The disposal facility may:
(1) Sell any part of the vehicle other than the engine block or drive train;

I was going to use use my truck. it really was no cluncker, but i needed something more fuel friendly. dealers highest trade in was $1500. sold if privately for $4500 and she gets to stay alive. I will miss her though.

Last edited by HillsdaleHHR; 08-01-2009 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Reduced pic size to max 640 x 480!!!
Old 08-01-2009, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
The rules are A) You destroy the engine with sodium silicate B) The vehicle is crushed. Nothing happens with the transmission.

... it was kind of fun and everyone got a chance to see and hear an engine destroyed. It was a mini party.
Just for us ignorant folk, how do you destroy an engine with sodium silicate?
Old 08-02-2009, 12:23 AM
Platinum Member

That's a good question...

Plus I guess some clunks are just junk.
But this is the guvment way to start getting older rides off the road..

I have antique bikes & don't want Our Prez to try & get all the old classic antiques off the road..
Old 08-02-2009, 06:59 AM

Angry

Originally Posted by vwkyote
We had a similar program here in Canada last year, and was the only reason I bought the HHR-SS. I got $1000 for my Jimmy that I paid $500 for 3 years previously. It had 450,000 on the odometer and the only think working on it was the 4.3 Vortec engine. It was accepted because it was plated and insured.

It got people like me who usually buy old used cars to look at new cars instead.

It was definitely a good stimulus to get new buyers out there. The car went straight to auction (but the condition mine was in probably the crusher)
That the main problem I see, we're going to see a huge increase in the price of used cars now, then we'll see another gov't program to assist young buyers in getting used cars.

Quick Reply: "Clunkers" Program gone???