The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

DI specific oil?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 10:29 AM
Premium Member

DI specific oil?

Found this while randomly browsing around about the new 2019 Ford Ranger and the possible problems with carbon buildup on all these ecoboost engines.
whats your thoughts? snake oil or a solution?

DI specific oil
Old 03-06-2019, 12:00 PM
Administrator

I’m not familiar with the Ford but GM sure has changed the valve and DI positioning in the head to address the carbon build up
Old 03-06-2019, 12:02 PM
Technical Moderator

I saw an ad for some intake valve cleaner that was specifically for DI. It was a major brand but I did no look closely.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:36 PM

Is Lake Speed Jr an evangelist for this product ? Nice fake name also. That video is so full of propaganda.
The back side intake valves are do to oil coking from the PCV. It's been discussed here on this forum.
The "evangelist" wants you to believe that using this oil will help the coke problem when your engine gets washed down from too much unburnt fuel getting past the rings, contaminating the oil.
Use quality oil of the correct spec at proper intervals and you will be fine. Yes manually cleaning the back of the valves will be needed in time unless a correction to the PCV system is addressed, hopefully when the car/engine is new.
Blue where did you get this info? "GM sure has changed the valve and DI positioning in the head to address the carbon build up". Are you saying the carbon is the oil coke problem ?
Old 03-06-2019, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
Use quality oil of the correct spec at proper intervals and you will be fine.
X2. Dexos1 approved oil is already speced to deal with this. My wife's Encore is small displacement (1.4l), direct injected, and turbo charged. A prime candidate for LSPI (low speed pre-ignition). Everything I've read says yes, this is a real issue. And everything I've read says to stick with manufacturer spec recommended oil. Not necessarily manufacturer branded, but oil that meets the manufacturer specs.

Here's an interesting post from a Buick forum about the issue from a GM perspective.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:53 PM

Doc Brown very good article.
LSPI (ah an acronym) low speed pre-ignition was known as/is engine knock. Engine knock is the speed of sound between your cylinder walls of your engine. The speed of sound is 770 mph at sea level, that when you break the speed of sound, causing a shock wave. Let this happen for too long and things can break. Knock sensors are on your engine for this, it cuts back your fuel and timing to combat it. As the post said, use the correct oil and maintain its frequency of oil changes.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:18 PM

Which is sort of funny when you think about it. It should be common sense. And it's what manufacturers and auto enthusiasts have been saying as long as I can remember (and I can remember a long time ago...). Yet, there is always someone who thinks that they know better than the engineers, or worse someone tries to sell a solution to a problem that's already been solved.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:01 PM

Is Lake Speed Jr an evangelist for this product ? Nice fake name also. That video is so full of propaganda.
The back side intake valves are do to oil coking from the PCV. It's been discussed here on this forum.
The "evangelist" wants you to believe that using this oil will help the coke problem when your engine gets washed down from too much unburnt fuel getting past the rings, contaminating the oil.
Use quality oil of the correct spec at proper intervals and you will be fine. Yes manually cleaning the back of the valves will be needed in time unless a correction to the PCV system is addressed, hopefully when the car/engine is new.
Blue where did you get this info? "GM sure has changed the valve and DI positioning in the head to address the carbon build up". Are you saying the carbon is the oil coke problem ?
Lake Speed is mostly famous for getting knocked out by Michael Waltrip (another huckster nowadays) after a NASCAR race back in the 1980s. There's a junior? Yep, I can just imagine the sales pitch...
Old 03-06-2019, 05:22 PM

Doc Brown very good article.
LSPI (ah an acronym) low speed pre-ignition was known as/is engine knock. Engine knock is the speed of sound between your cylinder walls of your engine. The speed of sound is 770 mph at sea level, that when you break the speed of sound, causing a shock wave. Let this happen for too long and things can break. Knock sensors are on your engine for this, it cuts back your fuel and timing to combat it. As the post said, use the correct oil and maintain its frequency of oil changes.
What is this nonsense? Pre-ignition has nothing to do with the speed of sound. It is caused by the air fuel mixture igniting too soon, often from hot spots caused by carbon build up.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:05 PM
Technical Moderator

Minutiae alert!

Quick Reply: DI specific oil?