The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

DSG Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 10:26 AM

Wink DSG Transmission

Good day folks,

Just wanted to voice an opinion about the GM transmissions. Been driving GM's for 7 years now and my parents have always had some sort of GM vehicle. I believe that every vehicle came with a 4 speed automatic. Of course my HHR has a four speed automatic. I have read that GM will be starting to introduce 5 speed automatics. In my opinion it's about time. I wonder why has GM been so behind on 5 speed automatics??

I was test driving the new Audi A3 yesterday as a potential replacement for the HHR. Holy S$%@. The car comes with a 6 speed automatic DSG (direct shift gearbox.) Needless to say this thing is amazing. I stomped on the gas at a light and the car rocketed to about 50 or 60 mph and before I could even blink my eyes we were in 6th gear. I did not even feel a single shift point!!
From my understanding this gearbox has the next gear engaged before shifting.

Now, I know the Audi is about twice as expense and are a luxury brand. I also know they have many years of racing experience and spend lots of money on R&D. But does GM not make some great performance cars (corvette) and are they not involved with racing the corvette's and the new cadillacs. Why can't they spend a few bucks on creating a decent five speed automatic to put in there vehicles. I'm not asking for what the Audi has with the DSG but anything would be better than the 4 speeds they use.

Alright, now time to get back to work.

Adios
Old 07-28-2006, 11:03 AM

GM does have a 5-speed automatic. Check out the Chevy Equinox and the Pontiac Torrent. It is the same M45 transmission as used in the Saab. They have also had a 5-speed auto in big trucks for a while. Maybe they are just bringing them in slowly and working the bugs out. Plus, as you already hit on, GM wants to make it affordable.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:30 AM

Affordable 5 speed auto

Originally Posted by Songman
Plus, as you already hit on, GM wants to make it affordable.
There are other affordable vehicles which carry a 5 speed auto. The Mazda 3 comes with an available 5 speed auto and it is still affordable. As is the case with the Honda Civic and other vehicles. The Dodge Caliber comes with the new CVT transmission (or whatever it is) but I'm not a big fan of those.

I'm wouldn't suggest that GM should make it standard equipment if it will drive up the price but atleast having an option would be nice. I would pay big bucks for a decent 5 speed auto in my HHR.

A five speed would provide huge benefits for a car like this. It is slightly under powered for its size and a good transmission could make up the difference. I would even suspect that with a 5 speed auto fuel economy would increase. How much of an increase would depend on the quality and efficiency of the tranny but it would be a great option to have.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:32 AM
Deceased

I love the way all these car companies say starting at 33,980. on audi that would be hard to even find a dealer that would stock a basic level A3

they are nice cars no doubt and i am sure the tranny is amazing. Mazda has one already as well.

i didnt buy my HHR for what the Audi is about. its like comparing a gear to an orange. not even the same kind of vehicle. i bought mine for style and even though the A3 is nice. i will park my HHR up against an A3 in a parking lot and i would do fine up against it.

personally for me it is hard to find any vehicle that toyota, lexus, nissan makes that i care for on looks. very reliable and great cars and the interiors are great too, just not anything i like looks wise. Caddy makes great cars and all you have to do is go drive one. we drove an SRX and it is freaking amazing. the panaramic roof is nothing like you have ever driven. like a convertible w a roof. it was just out of our budget and we bought the Equinox.

the Equinox has a 5 speed and for 183 hp it is scary and quick. tranny is from Japan and computer controlled and learns how you drive. it can shift totally smooth or like a standard if you put your foot in it. we paid 25 out the door for a loaded LT Nox and average 18 to 19 around town and 25 to 27 on the highway

i drove a STS and CTS and both drove well and were killer on pick up and speed. Caddys also have quality as a forefront. the CTS has a V6 with 255 hp and like 252 ft lbs. and rear wheel drive. same engine in the STS too and you can get the Northstar 320 hp. i love the tap up and tap down tranny so it shifts like a standard. i think these might compare and the STS with the A3 and i think it would do fine.

we had an 88 caddy w a 305 V8 in it. went on a 3500 miles trip and averaged 19.2 mpg and in Arizona i was running it 95 to 100. we drove grand canyon and big bend and everyone was straining in the mountains and not us. i could have pushed them up the hill.
our daughter wrecked it and we still drove it for a year. it sat for a year before i sold it and i charged the battery over night, turned the key and it turned over couple of times and started. that was an awesome car, Fleetwood de Elegante.

Name:  bestCaddyic.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  28.6 KB
Old 07-28-2006, 12:05 PM

Replace your Chevy HHR with an Audi?
Old 07-28-2006, 12:11 PM

The HHR's 4-speed auto trans has a lockup converter. I can take you right down the street in mine and "count" 5 gears. Once you've driven it a while you will get a feel for the pedal, and four shifts are happening.

I'd call that a 5-speed auto tranny.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:11 PM

Replace Chevy with Audi

Originally Posted by Bowtie388SBC
Replace your Chevy HHR with an Audi?
Yeah, I love my HHR but there are too many little things that are pissing me off. I've always loved GM vehicles but I've always found that there are small things that they cheap out on or screw up in the design that I end up hating.

I guess this is due to there corporate strategy or because they build cars that they try to keep reasonably priced.

After much contemplating I've decided to finally go out and get a car that is well built, well designed, well engineered and something that I, hopefully, will not find as many - if any faults in. This leaves the Germans as the only options. I don't like Japanese cars, I told agree with CJ's comments about Japanese cars. They don't thrill me at all.

I'll shell out a bit more coin for something that will make me happier in the end. Besides my family will be thrilled that I'm finally by German as I was born in Germany.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:19 PM

After two Fiats, three 911 Porsches, a Jaguar, two BMWs, two Triumphs... and on the Japanese side one Lexus, one Nissan, and one Mazda... I'll stick with my good ole American technology. I don't find anything better in the others, just more money and hype. The only foreign car I own right now is a Mazda Miata and that is because I can't get a decent price to sell the stupid thing.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
The HHR's 4-speed auto trans has a lockup converter. I can take you right down the street in mine and "count" 5 gears. Once you've driven it a while you will get a feel for the pedal, and four shifts are happening.

I'd call that a 5-speed auto tranny.
From my understanding of what a lock up converter is and does I would not call the tranny a 5 speed. There are still only 4 gears with 4 different gear ratios. The lockup converter, when cruising at speed and not requiring acceleration, engages the engine and transmission fully and limits the slippage to minimal amounts. This provides for better power and fuel mileage but you're still using the 4th gear ratio. I still believe that a 5th gear ratio would provide for better performance and fuel economy. Through on a lockup converter on a 5 speed and mpg would be even better.

I think a 5 speed automatic would also provide for a more fun vehicle to drive. By having 5 closer spaced gear ratios as compared to 4 should provide for more spirited driving.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:37 PM

I love the 5 speed automanual on my SAAB. I wish Chevy would've chosen that transmission instead.

Quick Reply: DSG Transmission