The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

FOX news...disgusting

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 08:26 AM

FOX news...disgusting

I have just witnessed the clip on FOX news about Canadians pulling out of Afganistan. After over 100 of troops coming home in a box they have the gall to "satirically" attack our troops with garbage and insults. I am a pacifist, but we have one of the most respected armies in the world, and I am proud of all they have done. There has only been 1 conflict between Canada and the USA, and that ended in Canada, led by a drunk, delivering a sound thrashing and burning the Whitehouse. The ignoramuses at FOX should be fired, strung up and whipped!
Old 03-24-2009, 09:47 AM

I would rather see the host shipped off to Afghanistan where he could do some good instead of just sitting around and running his mouth.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:06 AM

Fyi

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/0...l/fox_news_cda

Not all of us "Reds" agree 100% with what spouts out from Fox
Old 03-24-2009, 05:04 PM
Banned

Doesn't the entire Canadian army fit on one boat that can be held hostage when the gov't refuses to pay the freight?

It's Red Eye. Kind of like The Onion. It's not supposed to be anything other than stupid people making fun of non-news.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by GRUMPEE
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/0...l/fox_news_cda

Not all of us "Reds" agree 100% with what spouts out from Fox
I have to admit I've never seen Red Eye, but after watching the clip on you tube, I take it all back. These guys are just like Bill Mahr & Al Frankin, - Entertaining? To some. Laughable? Sure. Inciteful? Definately that's their job Why take them seriously? Solution? Change the channel.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by JimDaddyo
I have just witnessed the clip on FOX news about Canadians pulling out of Afganistan. After over 100 of troops coming home in a box they have the gall to "satirically" attack our troops with garbage and insults. I am a pacifist, but we have one of the most respected armies in the world, and I am proud of all they have done. There has only been 1 conflict between Canada and the USA, and that ended in Canada, led by a drunk, delivering a sound thrashing and burning the Whitehouse. The ignoramuses at FOX should be fired, strung up and whipped!
British news paper salutes . . . this is a good read. It is funny how it took someone in to put it into words... Sunday Telegraph Article From today's UK wires:
Salute to a brave and modest nation - Kevin Myers, 'The Sunday Telegraph' LONDON:

Until the deaths of Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan, probably almost no one outside their home country had been aware that Canadian troops are deployed in the region.

And as always, Canada will bury its dead, just as the rest of the world, as always will forget its sacrifice, just as it always forgets nearly everything ever does.. It seems that Canada’s historic mission is to come to the selfless aid both of its friends and of complete strangers, and then, once the crisis is over, to be well and truly ignored.

Canada is the perpetual wallflower that stands on the edge of the hall, waiting for someone to come and ask her for a dance. A fire breaks out, she risks life and limb to rescue her fellow dance-goers, and suffers serious injuries. But when the hall is repaired and the dancing resumes, there is Canada, the wallflower still, while those she once helped glamorously cavort across the floor, blithely neglecting her yet again.

That is the price Canada pays for sharing the North American continent with the USA , and for being a selfless friend of USA in two global conflicts.

For much of the 20th century, Canada was torn in two different directions: It seemed to be a part of the old world, yet had an address in the new one, and that divided identity ensured that it never fully got the gratitude it deserved.

Yet it's purely voluntary contribution to the cause of freedom in two world wars was perhaps the greatest of any democracy. Almost 10% of Canada’s entire population of seven million people served in the armed forces during the First World War, and nearly 60,000 died. The great Allied victories of 1918 were spearheaded by Canadian troops, perhaps the most capable soldiers in the entire British order of battle.

Canada was repaid for its enormous sacrifice by downright neglect, it's unique contribution to victory being absorbed into the popular Memory as somehow or other the work of the 'British.'

The Second World War provided a re-run. The Canadian navy began the war with a half dozen vessels, and ended up policing nearly half of the Americans against U-boat attack. More than 120 Canadian warships participated in the landings, during which 15,000 Canadian soldiers went ashore on D-Day alone.

Canada finished the war with the third-largest navy and the fourth largest air force in the world. The world thanked them with the same sublime indifference as it had the previous time.

Canadian participation in the war was acknowledged in film only if it was necessary to give an American actor a part in a campaign in which the United States had clearly not participated - a touching scrupulousness which, of course, has since abandoned, as it has any notion of a separate Canadian identity.

So it is a general rule that actors and filmmakers arriving in USA keep their nationality - unless, that is, they are Canadian. Thus Mary Pickford, Walter Huston, Donald Sutherland, Michael J. Fox, William Shatner, Norman Jewison, David Cronenberg, Alex Trebek, Art Linkletter and Dan Aykroyd have in the popular perception become American, and Christopher Plummer, British.

It is as if, in the very act of becoming famous, a Canadian ceases to be Canadian, unless she is Margaret Atwood, who is as unshakably Canadian as a moose, or Celine Dion, for whom Canada has proved quite unable to find any takers.

Moreover, Canada is every bit as querulously alert to the achievements of its sons and daughters as the rest of the world is completely unaware of them. The Canadians proudly say of themselves - and are unheard by anyone else - that 1% of the world's population has provided 10% of the world's peacekeeping forces.

Canadian soldiers in the past half century have been the greatest peacekeepers on Earth - in 39 missions on UN mandates, and six on non-UN peacekeeping duties, from Vietnam to East Timor, from Sinai to Bosnia.

Yet the only foreign engagement that has entered the popular non-Canadian imagination was the sorry affair in, which out-of-control paratroopers murdered two Somali infiltrators. Their regiment was then disbanded in disgrace - a uniquely Canadian act of self-abasement for which, naturally, the Canadians received no international credit.

So who today in the USA knows about the stoic and selfless friendship its northern neighbour has given?

Canada repeatedly does honourable things for honourable motives, but instead of being thanked for it, it remains something of a figure of fun. It is the Canadian way, for which Canadians should be proud, yet such honour comes at a high cost. This past year more grieving Canadian families knew that cost all too tragically well.

Lest we forget.

Last edited by Inspector; 03-25-2009 at 04:12 AM. Reason: rewrite
Old 03-25-2009, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by JimDaddyo
and that ended in Canada, led by a drunk, delivering a sound thrashing and burning the Whitehouse.
Not quite true, it started that way but didn't end that way. Admiral Perry destroyed the British fleet and the Americans at Fort Niagra blew the crap out of Fort George and the POTUS issued the Monroe Doctirne.

Oh, and they don't call it Faux News for nothing.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Inspector
So who today in the USA knows about the stoic and selfless friendship its northern neighbour has given?

Canada repeatedly does honourable things for honourable motives, but instead of being thanked for it, it remains something of a figure of fun. It is the Canadian way, for which Canadians should be proud, yet such honour comes at a high cost. This past year more grieving Canadian families knew that cost all too tragically well.

Lest we forget.
That's a good article about Canada. I think everyone does recognize the sacrifice of Canadian forces for the conflicts in which they participate, but the entire war in Afghanistan has been forgotten by much of the media anyway. Since that war has had neither the controversy or level of casualties of the Iraq war, the media in the U.S. and other countries haven't paid too much attention. I think the only major press was the Tillman friendly-fire incident and the doped-up F-16 pilot who mowed down a bunch of Canadians he thought were mujahideen.

Most of my Dad's family is Canadian. My grandmother was Canadian and never became a US citizen even though she lived here since she was a child. So when we get together at family reunions, it's a regular maple leaf party complete with Molson 5.0 and back bacon.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:12 AM

As usual like Fox, A British paper(more like a tabloid - not real journalism) get's it wrong and lumps all of the US as being ignorant. Believe it or not there are quite a few us that are aware of Canada's participation and sacrifice in blood in world events of the present and last century.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:30 AM

Fox "news" are you kidding me?

Quick Reply: FOX news...disgusting