The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Friends making you fat? Obesity is 'socially contagious'

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 09:08 AM
Founding Member

Friends making you fat? Obesity is 'socially contagious'

Did you guys see this? It's all over the news
http://health.yahoo.com/news/177766

I think they hit the nail on the head.
When people have close friends and family that are overweigh, they start accepting it and thinking being fat is ok. They even defend them and make it a touchy subject.

I don’t have to struggle with this problem, but I see it around me.
what do you guys think?
Old 07-26-2007, 10:26 AM

Yep.. "Birds of a feather..."
Old 07-26-2007, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by JonyyB
Did you guys see this? It's all over the news
http://health.yahoo.com/news/177766

I think they hit the nail on the head.
When people have close friends and family that are overweigh, they start accepting it and thinking being fat is ok. They even defend them and make it a touchy subject.

I don’t have to struggle with this problem, but I see it around me.
what do you guys think?
Yes I watched this also and well, could probably write a book on my opinion of it but suffice it to say I do not agree with this in totality. Maybe some people are so insecure that what others do effects their behavior but believe you me, family or otherwise, If you chose to jump off a bridge then,... Well I will miss you On a side note being fat does not make you any less of a person inside. I am not defending obesity, everyone should do their best to be as healthy as possible, but should we really group all overweight people into the same category? This is my initial offtake of the link and my opinion may change after further review but for now I am sticking to my story.. This should make for some interesting discussion, looking forward to reading everones responses..

Julian
Old 07-26-2007, 12:22 PM

I read an article similar to this yesterday, but as it confused me then I thought I would read this one! However, I was still left with a feeling of "WTF?" so I quickly scanned the article as printed in the New England Journal of Medicine. This is what I think:

I'd love to talk to the people who conducted this study. In my haste, I may have missed it, but common sense would give you a good reason why groups of friends may experience weight loss and gain. Why? Because friends hang out with each other and tend to enjoy similar lifestyles. If all your friends love sitting in the backyard pounding beer and burgers all day then there is a good chance you may become overweight! Even if friends move away, lifestyle is something that you tend to continue to share. I haven’t seen too many golf players hanging out at the pool hall.

The point of this study was that if your friend becomes obese, there is more of chance that you will as well. They suggest that if you find yourself in this situation that you include yourself in new social situations (keep all your friends though - apparently it’s the healthy thing to do!) that encourage healthier lifestyles with peer support. Really? Like joining a gym? No kidding.

It's studies like this that make me wonder about the quality of a University education!
Old 07-26-2007, 12:31 PM

Working in an Emergency Room with wild nurses has caused me to gain. All they do is bring in food. I have gone from slim and trim to "mildly full figured". I can just bet the extra weight does awesome things for my heart.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:54 PM

I think all of this is bull. I have friends who are overweight, underweight, normal weight, whatever else. None of them have an influence on my weight or my health issues.
I'm of average weight (6'4" @180#) which alot of people say is thin and so do I. However, according to my doctor this is a good weight to maintain for my height. My wife is overweight, admits it, and is doing all she can to lose a few pounds but it still doesn't have an influence on my eating or excercising habits.
I think what their findings are telling us is that people want to "fit in" and tend to do as others do instead of making their own choices. So you can blame it on your friends and family all you want, but in the long run you can only blame yourself.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:22 PM
Ern

Originally Posted by betterof2evils4
Yep.. "Birds of a feather..."
"Flock together..."
Old 07-26-2007, 03:42 PM

This is gonna be a touchy subject on this site, I`ve seen some Run/driver pix.
The thread`s author is very brave...
PS, I know he`s #1,
Old 07-26-2007, 04:08 PM

S'true in my case. Still honeymooning after 19 years --- still gaining...
Old 07-26-2007, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by jayhawker
I think all of this is bull. I have friends who are overweight, underweight, normal weight, whatever else. None of them have an influence on my weight or my health issues.
I'm of average weight (6'4" @180#) which alot of people say is thin and so do I. However, according to my doctor this is a good weight to maintain for my height. My wife is overweight, admits it, and is doing all she can to lose a few pounds but it still doesn't have an influence on my eating or excercising habits.
I think what their findings are telling us is that people want to "fit in" and tend to do as others do instead of making their own choices. So you can blame it on your friends and family all you want, but in the long run you can only blame yourself.
Look at all the documented research they've done. I don't think you can say it's all bull. There's gotta be some truth in it. The article does not say your friends "will" influence your weight/heatlth, rather it says "may".

Quick Reply: Friends making you fat? Obesity is 'socially contagious'