The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Getting ready to sell a car to an out of state buyer. Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 10:05 AM

Getting ready to sell a car to an out of state buyer. Questions!

First of all, has anyone sold a car privately to someone from out of state? I am selling my '96 Mustang GT convertible with 38k miles (Bright Tangerine Orange in color) and have found a buyer in Pennsylvania. He wants to fly out to Illinois and bring a cashiers check with him to pay for the vehicle, then drive the car back home. The car is ready to go (mechanically sound) and I have the title and a couple of "bills of sale" ready to be filled out. Is there anything else I should take care of before he flies out here? Is there anything I need to watch out for to cover things on my end? Thanks in advance everyone!
Old 08-11-2011, 11:26 AM

Personnally, i would require to be paid in cash. If the buyer pays with a check, the risk is on you. And since it's an out of state buyer, you'll have to chase him if the check is bad.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by HHR_SS_QC
Personnally, i would require to be paid in cash. If the buyer pays with a check, the risk is on you. And since it's an out of state buyer, you'll have to chase him if the check is bad.

Why can't he pay cash if he has the time go get you a cashier's check?
Old 08-11-2011, 04:31 PM

Cashiers checks can be forged, counterfit etc. Go to the bank with him, have him cash the check and give you the greenbacks.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:37 PM

That's a good point guys. He didn't want to bring that much cash with him on the plane, which I understand. I guess we could go to the bank and get the cash this way.

Is there a way to verify a cashier's check in case he arrives in the evening and the banks are not open?
Old 08-11-2011, 07:24 PM

Maybe some check cashing place like Amscot. There would be a fee to cash the check, but have his name on the check so that it is his butt on the line, not yours with a worthless check. Cause if it bounces, it is your butt.

My cousin bought a car and had a wire transfer to the original owner. It took a couple of phone calls and a direct transfer from his bank to the owners bank. He was from NC and came down to Florida and we drove over to Tampa where the car was. He did want to inspect the car anyway.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:44 PM

Cash.....
Old 08-11-2011, 09:22 PM

Thanks for all of the thoughts guys! Hopefully everything goes as planned.

Brian
Old 08-12-2011, 08:17 AM

I agree about a cash transaction. A friend got burned some years ago by a bogus cashier's check.

Ask the buyer if he can draw the check from a large bank that has a branch in your area. Make arrangements to close the deal at the local branch. Call them ahead of time and tell them what you are doing. Very likely they will accommodate you and even give you a conference room to complete the paper work as well as verify the check and cash it on site.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:38 PM

I've done a lot of out of state and even out of the country auto transactions in the past, and I always required a direct wire transfer. It costs 15 or 20 bucks, but it's quick, simple and secure. Maybe an option?

Quick Reply: Getting ready to sell a car to an out of state buyer. Questions!