The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

GM Announces First Full-Year Results as New Company

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 12:28 PM
Founding Member

DETROIT – General Motors Company (NYSE: GM) today announced its calendar year 2010 results marked by $4.7 billion of net income attributable to common stockholders for its first full year of operations.

Revenue for the calendar year was $135.6 billion. Automotive cash flow from operating activities was $6.6 billion and automotive free cash flow was $2.4 billion, both reflecting the impact of a $4.0 billion voluntary cash contribution to the company’s U.S. pension plans.

Full Story
Old 02-24-2011, 12:44 PM

Yup, and the government is being so nice as to give them a $14 billion dollar tax break GM's Sweetheart Tax Deal
Old 02-24-2011, 02:05 PM

Lets wait and see the 5 year and 10 year returns. That is what will be telling.

With the way the economy world issues are going it is still going to be tough on all companies.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:00 PM

GM has to have lots of funds to pay big bonuses to those executives who drove the company to bankruptcy, but managed to get a bailout from the tax payers. Those big profits need to go back to the US treasury before the big bonuses.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Old Lar
GM has to have lots of funds to pay big bonuses to those executives who drove the company to bankruptcy, but managed to get a bailout from the tax payers. Those big profits need to go back to the US treasury before the big bonuses.
GM has been making large strides in paying back the loans and if things remain stable will have it paid off way ahead of schedule.

GM is dealing with 10's of billions of dollars and a million of dollars are peanuts. While they are not good they are a drop in the bucket in the big picture. Funny how so few speak out on the waste of trillions of dollars by the goverment.

The public on many things anymore get worked up by the media to swallow elephant and choke on a flea.

There are many over paid union leaders too but who points them out?
Old 02-24-2011, 05:10 PM

All the bond holders got screwed thanks to Obama. By the way the stock price just fell back to the original IPO price....not so good
Old 02-24-2011, 06:05 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, Miltown.....I thought that was interesting.

GM announces their first year of solvency and strong profits (which, I don't believe they had anything NEAR 6 Billion in 30 years) and the market is NOT impressed and trades the stock DOWN. I've been trying to find the "thinking" on that, without luck.

But I think Hyper is correct. Let's wait a few and see what happens......although I am glad they had a good year (helps my retirement).
Old 02-24-2011, 06:40 PM
Founding Member

Most stocks have been down for the last three days. If you're not selling today it shouldn't be a worry.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Yeah, Miltown.....I thought that was interesting.

GM announces their first year of solvency and strong profits (which, I don't believe they had anything NEAR 6 Billion in 30 years) and the market is NOT impressed and trades the stock DOWN. I've been trying to find the "thinking" on that, without luck.

But I think Hyper is correct. Let's wait a few and see what happens......although I am glad they had a good year (helps my retirement).
I think too many forget about how things in the Middle East effect the market. Odds are if GM was not stronger they would have taken a greater hit.

The Middle East and Oil prices are a major issue and will be for a good while. While American news praised what happened in Eygpt they failed to report the whole picture.

The main thing in the bail out I had issue with is the share holders got screwed all the way around. Obama just protected the Unions since they paid enough for his attention. The stock market is a risk and buyers should understand this going in, they should never invest what they can't lose. But if you are going to bail out everyone else at least they could have made some kind of gesture to help the investors. Not all share holders are greedy Wall St people most are like my Parents who try to live off their investment in later years. Most share holders are these kinds of people not Madoffs.

When it comes to stocks daily you will make money and lose money. It is the nature of the beast. You weight the risks and gains and decide on the amount of risk you can afford. Stocks are not Lottery tickets you can control the game. Lottery tickets are just dumb luck and not even a good gamble.

It is the long term that everyone needs to worry about. 1 year 3,5,10.

I know someone who can lose or gain $500,000 on his investments a day. To him it is just paper. Untill it is sold off that is the only price to worry about. As far as he is concerened the only money he could ever lose is his intitial investment. THe rest is money he never had to start with and only would see if he sells.

GM plans for the future are not real clear right now as in the past they had to tell all on new products 5 years in advance to keep stock up. Today they have a good line of product and in the next 5-6 years a lot of new product that they can afford to build now. So it is not so much what we see of GM product today but more of how they conduct themselves and the new product we will see soon.

Right now I think they will be fine. The questions are what will happen in the world that may effect them that they have no control over.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:30 AM
Premium Member

"The public on many things anymore get worked up by the media to swallow elephant and choke on a flea."

Well spoken,Lord willing the sleeping fiscal conservatives have woke up in time. Our Government leaders are selling the souls of our grand children into Chinese slavery. The Founding Fathers must be rolling in their graves.

Quick Reply: GM Announces First Full-Year Results as New Company