The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

GM Back to Work on new SS

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 11:15 AM

GM Back to Work on new SS

Like I have tried to tell many that GM is not done with perfromance and we had some things comming they just could not anounce yet. Well here is the news.

GMPD is back to work on a Cruze and Aveo SS . THis is only the start of more to come. I look for them to be tied to the GS Buick and ATS V Cadillac.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/23/r...work-focus-on/

Trust me and keep an eye open as there is a lot more going on GM than you really know.

Also note GMPD is not gone as many false reports stated it is alive and well. Many of thes folks there have already been in on these other cars from their inceptions so it there will be more tuning and less fixing.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:20 AM

I knew they weren't going to be done. I think they just had to drop them for now to focus on the main models and getting a good grip on the future and profitability. Great news!
Old 08-23-2010, 11:30 AM

To each, his own.... but those are butt ugly cars.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:04 PM

A lot of Cruze's are showing up as company cars. They seem kind of vanilla to me. I will be driving one in the next day or so. I'm interested to see how it feels.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
I agree - a Daewoo (Aveo) SS? Maybe if they can stuff the HHR SS 2.0 in that thing it will just be a blur...
Old 08-23-2010, 02:41 PM

Time to wake up and smell the coffee.

Many here first hand know what these Guys can do with vehicles on the old Delta platform. They turned the Cobalt and HHR into real and respected performance cars. Two of the better ones GM has had in years.

Saddled with cheap interiors and older styling they have been able to make some real and fun to drive cars that many here bought.

Now put this on more modern plaforms with the rules of it must Stop Turn and Go to recieve a SS badge.

Like or not it too early to judge these cars. Most here have yet to see one let alone drive one.

The key here is GM will not oly enhance the Chevy line but all lines with the GMPD tuning. THere will be something for everyone in time.

I can say for those who have not seen the Aveo yet in person will be suprised as it is not the same car we know today. While it is not a car I would have to have in my garage it will appeal to many buying imports and finally be an American car. Yes the new Aveo will be built in Michigan.

We all need to keep an open mind and let GM build cars for everyone as that is what got them into this mess to begin with. They need to meet the market needs vs building a car and expecting the market come to it.

The Cruze will do fine. The styling is a little muted but I think GM will address it soon. Keep in mind this was a car designed a couple years ago and they had to go with it as soon as they cleared Chapeter 11. Updates are already in the works.

There is a lot more going on within GM most do not know and much of your criticism Is already being addressed. So temper you precieved ideas with the fact there is much more going on then what you see.

The Cruze has the interior fixed and the driving dynamics are much more than most will expect before they drive this car. The sedan is only the first step in this line as is the hatch with the Aveo.

The new Malibu is also a Buick Regal that is rebodies and will come with a Turbo 4 option and a V6. The Regal has been acclaimed by the media so far so the Bu should also make for a very good car.

Things will be intersting for the next 5 years in all division. Some of the things I have been hearing are really cool. Will just have to see how thing play out as the economy can change things quick.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:26 PM

Here's the thing... Yes they have to build for the market, point taken. There's "exciting" things going on under the hood.... Cool. My point was I don't like any of the new designs that the market seems to desire...... GM or otherwise. I'm not bad mouthing GM's plans for the future, more power to them.

The only reason I have an HHR and am part of this forum it because it's retro. Retro is dead? fine, I'll keep my HHR... when it dies I'll buy an old car again...... or maybe I'll go first. What I said comes from a personal aesthetic viewpoint, I just think the new cars are ugly....

can't fix ugly.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:06 PM

My friend, there is no butt ugly SS. The only one that is butt ugly is the ASS
Old 08-23-2010, 05:06 PM

Here's the thing... Yes they have to build for the market, point taken. There's "exciting" things going on under the hood.... Cool. My point was I don't like any of the new designs that the market seems to desire...... GM or otherwise. I'm not bad mouthing GM's plans for the future, more power to them.

The only reason I have an HHR and am part of this forum it because it's retro. Retro is dead? fine, I'll keep my HHR... when it dies I'll buy an old car again...... or maybe I'll go first. What I said comes from a personal aesthetic viewpoint, I just think the new cars are ugly....

can't fix ugly.
I undersatand as I am like you I am not into the jelly bean look. But that is what is selling if it is selling at all.

In this kind of market it is best to not risk too much. GM at this point can not afford to miss on a product like the Aveo or Cruze. THey need to make gains in these markets and can not risk a polarizing design right now.

Lets face it GM got lucly with the HHR but it was a calculated risk with the PT doing well. Chrysler only did the PT because they had nothing to lose at that point.

If GM can gain ground and firm footing they may be in the place they can afford the risk. Right now they are not solid enought to do it or not on their last leg enough to do it.

I think once they show the public and convince them they can build a quality car again you will see some neat stuff.

So in the end I agree with you but I also try to remember to look at the whole picture. there is so much more going on right now that needs addressed.

We all just need to be glad they are already looking to get the performance market restarted already. This is the first step.

Design comes and goes and the HHR was a new car not long ago and you liked it. They will have something for you again.
Some people never adapt to new and it has gone on for years. I once claimed I would never own anything but a RWD V8 car too. Funny think is I am as happy with my HHR SS as I was with my 68 SS.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:46 PM

This is good news

Just when they were starting to make good performance yet fuel efficient cars they pulled the plug. I usually keep my cars a long time and every car I sold or got rid of was at least 10 years old when I was done with it. My first two were used and were 6 - 7 years old when I bought them and only kept them a few years. My first car was a Buick Century T-Type 3.8L Limited edition and that car had nearly 270,000 miles on it when I was done with it and I drove it everywhere. Had some issues but nothing I would consider major. My next car was a 1988 Cavalier Z24 and I think that was abused and not taken care of well but I put a $1000 of work into it to fix it up when it acted up after having it almost 2 years and got 170,000 miles out of it before it finally died. My S10 SS was an awesome truck and drove it day in and day out and aside from water pump and a couple O2 censors it never gave me any trouble. I only sold that because I wanted something with a back seat, 4 doors, and better fuel economy. The trick was to keep the sporty car feel and have a little power. I think I hit the nail on the head with the HHR SS.

Based off my experience with GM and most of my family I think they have always made quality vehicles as I can only think of a couple family members I know having real trouble with their cars. One was a chevy corsica my dad had as a business car and the other was Geo Prism my cousin had. I firmly believe a car is as only as good as the driver and person that takes care of it. Treat it well and it will treat you well.

Quick Reply: GM Back to Work on new SS