The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

GM shares hit 74-year low

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 02:39 PM

February 20, 2009

General Motors Corp. shares on Friday tumbled to their lowest level in more than 70 years, pulled down by a drop in the broader markets and continued speculation about the future of the struggling automaker.

GM shares hit a low of $1.52 in early afternoon trading, before rebounding to $1.82 later in the session. The low matched a record set on July 26, 1934, according to the Center for Research in Security Prices at the University of Chicago.

The price is adjusted for splits and other changes.

The Detroit-based automaker's shares have been battered over the past year by worries about the viability of the U.S. auto industry and plunging sales stemming from the industrywide drop in demand for new vehicles.

GM shares were worth $3.50 just a month ago and $25.54 a year ago.

On Tuesday, GM said it would need a total of $30 billion in federal aid in order to avoid filing for bankruptcy protection, up from a previous estimate of $18 billion and including $13.4 billion it has already received. It also said it would need to cut 47,000 jobs worldwide and close five more U.S. factories.

Analysts have said that regardless of whether the automaker receives additional government help or ultimately files for bankruptcy protection, its shares are close to worthless.

Joseph C. Amaturo of Buckingham Research Group said Thursday that a Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing at the automaker would be in the best interest of everyone, especially the American taxpayer.

In a note to investors, he backed his "Underperform" rating for the GM and cut his price target to $0 from $1.

Amaturo called GM's restructuring plan "worthless" because it doesn't reduce the company's debt, eliminate its legacy costs or make its labor agreements more competitive.

Also on Friday, GM's Swedish-based subsidiary Saab went into court protection from creditors so that the unit can be spun off or sold.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:43 PM

Wow! Guess it's time to BUY BUY BUY the stock!!! lol

Just keep your fingers crossed that they stay in business.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Banned

I think Obama really might let them go into bankruptcy. I think the financial sector really wants GM to fail so they can pick over the remains now.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:15 PM

Does it really take an analyst to tell you that shares that have lost 95% of their value in a year are 'close to worthless'?
Chapter 11 is about the only way they'll be able to do the ugly chopping that will leave them surviving in any form now. Should have done it before getting in hock to the man.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:22 PM

Wow, I'd almost buy some Share's if I had a job in 7 Weeks.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:37 PM

They better get those Camaro's and Volts in the dealships and start making some money LOL
Old 02-20-2009, 10:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pg318
Does it really take an analyst to tell you that shares that have lost 95% of their value in a year are 'close to worthless'?
Chapter 11 is about the only way they'll be able to do the ugly chopping that will leave them surviving in any form now. Should have done it before getting in hock to the man.
They won't make it through a Chapter 11. Nobody will give them debtor-in-possession financing at this point. I really think they need to suspend trading on their stock until they get an answer from the gov't on the rest of the bailout.

I was hoping this wouldn't happen, but I just don't see the gov't lending them $30 billion total now. This really could be the end--even though any liquidation or even a prepackaged Chapter 11 will cost the gov't way more than $30 billion.

It's these damn speculators and analysts who know NOTHING about the auto industry who are doing this. They want to pick over the carcass when it's all said and done.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:34 PM

Let's see................a quarter pounder w/cheese or one share of stock?

I think the burger is a better buy! LOL
Old 02-21-2009, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
They won't make it through a Chapter 11. Nobody will give them debtor-in-possession financing at this point.
They're not going to avoid Chapter 11 without further funding from the government either, since no-one else will fund them. I was a little worried when the first bailout happened that the government wouldn't have seniority over other creditors, existing bank liens would come first, leaving the taxpayer on the hook, but there's already a provision to convert the funding to DIP should GM file, thus conveniently jumping to the head of the line. I'm sure that there'll be many lawsuits about that from aggrieved creditors, but any further government funding will likely follow the same pattern - and such a funding arrangement would put any other finance source off even more, so I think we'll end up with a state-owned auto industry for a while.
I'd wager that if either GM or Chrysler files, the other will follow suit soon after, and we'll see a forced merger of the two, and a new company made of the few viable parts.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:09 PM

Great! So we'll all be driving cars like the ones from the Soviet Union...like the Trabant!

Quick Reply: GM shares hit 74-year low